Thread: SPOT coverage in the Brooks?

Default SPOT coverage in the Brooks?

Asked this on the survival thread with no takers thought I would try again here. My buddy bought a SPOT for our brooks hunt and doesn't want to also pack a sat phone (rental). My question is related to service not relative pros and cons of SPOT Vs phone etc. Just hoping to hear from people who packed a SPOT into the brooks and can tell me what the reliability of the signal is that far north. I have heard the spot is globalstar so I worry about the coverage. I would love not packing multiple redundant items (and paying several hundred bucks in rental) just want to be sure we have the best tools possible with us! Thanks

It worked for this gal a couple years ago...

http://www.newsminer.com/bookmark/83...m-Brooks-Range
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I believe Buck Nelson used it for tracking his trips in the brooks. Been using mine on the Kobuk river.

Thanks, I knew a few people had been rescued up there and was wondering if they were just really lucky on location or if the signal was pretty reliable. The idea of packing something smaller (and paid for) has won out for us I believe. And at the end of the day we are just going to try like hell and not need it!

I'll just be packing my Spot this year on Baranof and in the Chugach, oh, and in the Alaska Range. I like em!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I'll just be packing my Spot this year on Baranof and in the Chugach, oh, and in the Alaska Range. I like em!
    Yeah but in the AK range I'll have my sat phone too keep me out of the woods with the Mrs. so we can call when we gotta bivy out a night and not have her worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yeah but in the AK range I'll have my sat phone too keep me out of the woods with the Mrs. so we can call when we gotta bivy out a night and not have her worry.
    Who was worried?!? I was just mad I drove all the way to the chulitna before you got back to reception and called to tell me you were coming home instead of staying to hunt another four days with me

Speaking of keeping the Wifey from worrying.... My wife doesn't hunt with me, one of the main reasons we got the SPOT was so I could send her the OK message. Makes it especially nice when I'm hunting alone. It also gives me the "warm fuzzies" when I push the button knowing I'm sending her an email.

For the price, the SPOT is great in my opinion.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I think the message function is a big part of the reason his wife bought it for him! saves me money and weight in the pack so I'm not complaining