Thread: Inexpensive Compounds?

Default Inexpensive Compounds?

Any reccomendations for inexpensive compound bows? I was looking at the cheap ones in cabelas and a couple of used ones on this forum. I've never shot compounds much so I don't know what to look for in a bow. Help would be helpful
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I do not know how cheap of a compound you are looking for. If I was you a good starter bow would be a Mission bow. Mission is made by Mathews. They have 3 models, All three are the same bow, just more camo on the ones that are more expensive. They shoot very well.

I took a chance on *cough**ebay**cough cough.. I picked up an older browning mirage and have been more than satisified with it. I had to have a new string put on, but other than that, the rest of the bow was in great shape.

I went ahead and had my draw length measured and I had an idea of what I wanted the max draw weight to be and after that I browsed the net. I had not shot since I was young and wasn't sure if I would be interested enough to invest much more than a few hundred bucks, so I decided it was worth the risk to shop online in case I didn't like archery.

I'll be looking to sell my bow in early summer when I get a new one, if you're going to be back in Eagle River. I have an older Hoyt, but it still shoots really well and has only gotten minimal use. The only drawback is that it is somewhat heavy, so carrying it for long distances can be a bit tiring. Let me know if you're interested.

THanks for the imput everyone, I'm gonna look at a compound in a gear swap at the university tomorrow... Otherwise we'll be in touch brian, I hope to practice up and give a shot at passing my bowhunter ed course this summer, just because. And then I plan on killing some ducks with it next fall LOL

Wink

Try a PSE Nova, it's a good solid bow. Bought one for my son years ago it"s held up well. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Well I got a PSE lighting elite off ebay we'll see how it shoots and if it stinks, well its $20 so you never know with ebay eh?

Default Bow

PSE makes a good hunting bow for a good price. Mine is over ten years old, and I still kill stuff with it. The trick is getting it set up right, and shooting a lot.

I would take your new purchase to Fletchers in Wasilla, and get your draw length dialed in, and start paper tuning. They are very helpful in there, and have been nothing but nice.

Good Luck, Tom

I'll visit the archery shop here when it shows up I'm excited!

MAthwes now has some cheap in price bowa. The mission is one of them.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Congrats on your new bow Pat! I got hooked really young and have not put it down yet!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Buckmaster G2

I bought a buckmaster g2 from cabelas last year. It goes for $250 and is nice, quiet, and quick. Fully decked out, release, arrows with field points and broadheads for about $650. I am shooting 65 lb draw, and cabelas carbon arrows with 125 muzzys. With a stretched out string I was shooting 265 fps and have no problem reaching out to 50 yds + during target practice. I do recommend a string at the same time of the bow. It did not take long for the string to strectch and serving to slip around. Putting a buck nasty on soon. Google the g2 and read some of the reviews. I am not a bit disappointed for the amount of bow for the price.