Thread: used rangers

Default used rangers

I had decided I was gonna buy a Polaris X2, but after rolling my current wheeler down the mountainside while taking out my bait station, completely my fault as I overloaded it. thankfully my pride was the only thing hurt, so I decided I wanted a wider stance, and I want to be able to take the Wife and kid out for some family wheeler fun, So I started looking at Rangers, why is it that one can buy a used Ranger 6x6 for less than its 4x4 counterpart??? I have to stay within a budget for the new toy because I'll need to buy a trailer for whatever I buy and I'm planning on buying a slide in camper for the pickup. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the difference in used prices. I haven't checked with any of the Polaris dealers around the area, but does anyone know if they sell used Rangers. I really only want the 4x4, but if what I can afford is the 6x6 then thats what I'll be buying.

Get the 6x6 - it's way better then a 4x4 anyways if you're going as wide as a Ranger is. Although the Ranger will only be marginally more stable than a wheeler since your center of gravity is a little higher too.

should be more exciting when you flip it with the whole family in it too! go 6x6!
    Semper Fi!

I would say the 4x4 and 6x6 have their place, both do well but have their advantages.

I would also say I've gone places a 6x6 has gotten stuck.

And vice versa.

Price wise I think aftermarket parts play a big role in sale of used machines. I see more mod'd 4x4 rigs than 6x.

about the only difference in aftermarket stuff I've noticed are the wheels. none of the 6x's ive seen have the flashy wheels while all the 4x's seem to have them. I'm pretty much gonna go with the 6X at this point, they are about the only sidex thats within my budget even though that seems kinda weird to say.

If you can afford it, try to get a 2010+ with the independent rear suspension. I've seen those go for $9-10k

Don't get a rig with flashy wheels, they only break and can't be fixed in the field like a good ole fashion steel wheel. I agree with another poster, the 4x4 and 6x6 both have pro's and con's. I enjoy my 4x4 because I can have a little more fun when around the house but still put it to work when needed. I use wheel spacers to help fit my tires and they help alot with stability. The older body style from 08 to 06 seem to do best in the mud on the 4x4's but the newer ones have more comfort. If you buy a rig that is lifted and has more thatn 1000K miles than check the wheel bearings and ball joints. Not a deal breaker but that is about when they get ready to fail if it's used in the back woods more than the trails. Unless your looking at the new 6x6 with independant rear axles they have less clearence than the 4x4. Makes a difference when in the mud or boulder patch. Good luck in your search, no matter what you buy you will be happy with it. I love mine and would never be with out one

I'd hafta disagree in the lift kit vs ball joint/ bearing area. I've worn out parts far quicker with wheel spacers than a lift.

Spacers add a higher degree of pressure against the wheel mount surface, lifts generally cause more of a potential issue with the shafts which is countered with smart driving habits.

I wore out ball joints after 300 miles using spacers.

But, my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I'd hafta disagree in the lift kit vs ball joint/ bearing area. I've worn out parts far quicker with wheel spacers than a lift.

Spacers add a higher degree of pressure against the wheel mount surface, lifts generally cause more of a potential issue with the shafts which is countered with smart driving habits.

I wore out ball joints after 300 miles using spacers.

But, my .02.
    You are correct and thanks for correcting me. I assumed most people put spacers on with a lift since big tires are usually thrown in the mix. Spacers are the inheritant demon on those wear items. I made it 1200 miles before swapping wheel bearings and ball joints but I only had spacers in the rear.

I dont really do alot of mudding, on purpose anyways, most times I go around the mud holes. I know, kinda defeats the purpose of the machine but thats just me. I've also considered a Rhino, but dont want to loose the bed to a seat for the kid. Thats the ONLY thing keeping me from getting a rhino.

Thanks for all the info.

Rhino ground clearance is a lot lower and they do hang up quite a bit. I'm never in a hurry or afraid to winch myself in and out versus hot dogging, that's what it's for right?

At 4inch over stock I rarely tap anything.

If you're still looking for a used Ranger, shoot me a message. May be selling mine here soon. Got a baby on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsnoball View Post
    If you're still looking for a used Ranger, shoot me a message. May be selling mine here soon. Got a baby on the way.
    100$ tonight
    Semper Fi!

Haha. Not that hard up yet.

picked one up 2 weeks ago, I LOVE this machine. If we could afford another one I'd consider getting another one for the wife, as I am a bit afraid that she may try to steal this one from me!!