Thread: Be carefull out there

Default Be carefull out there

We lost another very good man as tuff as they come.
    http://www.wrangellsentinel.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Reading the article in the Wrangall paper, implies he was in a pack raft? Sounds like he got into some big water...Those pack rafts are overrated, easy to puncture on a staub or a rock. Constructed of Too thin of material and way over priced... Colin sounded like quite the adventurous spirit...canoed up the coast from Washington to Alaska...quite an accomplished runner and biker...gone too soon in life. Solo wilderness trips are great for the soul, dangerous though, if you get injured or in a tough spot....better to travel with a partner all the way around...

If folks are willing to continue the search as a private friends and family initiative,
    They should look under deep cut banks and underwater near piles of wood (log jams/sweepers). Starting from the last spot the found his tracks, an underwater camera attached to a pole is a big help in these matters, as is divers assisted by a swift water belay-man.

He'll stay tangled up in the roots, or in with the wood until a major flood, high water occurrence , or he could also wash out next spring break-up. They called off the search, but they failed to search the underwater places where a man can get sucked under and stay tangled. If I had time, I'd volunteer help in his search.

You should always carry a sheathed knife attached to your life preserver, because the pfd don't mean squat when you're caught up in roots under a cut bank or under a log pile. Fast current mixed with frothy air degrades the flotation ability of a pfd and will put you in a situation to be taken under regardless of the added flotation of a pfd.

Capsized folks don't disappear on small swift river, THEY'RE UNDER SOMETHING LIKE A ROCK, A LOG JAM, A CUT BANK OR A PILED SWEEPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    We lost another very good man as tuff as they come.
    http://www.wrangellsentinel.com/
    Sad to hear this. Did you know him personally Amigo?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes I did great young man for sure.His family has a store here many years and family has been volunteer fire chiefs here a hundred years I think. Insted of easy money at the store he worked for Crossings helping troubled kids around the state learn about themselfs and the great outdoors. He is a loss to everyone here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

So sorry for your loss my friend....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Colin worked for me in the Army National Guard. One of my best soldiers I've ever had the privilege of serving with. He was a great guy and will be missed. I thought I loved the outdoors until I met him and he gave me a whole new appreciation for and respect of the outdoors. I count him among my close friends.
    Diamond Marquis

Sad story...so sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like he was a real gem of a guy.