Thread: Halibut Charter Deep Creek or Homer??

Default Halibut Charter Deep Creek or Homer??

Hoping someone can narrow it down for me. Ended up in Deep Creek this evening and would like to do a 1/2 day Halibut either Sat pm or Sunday. Had several folks suggest fishing out of Deep Creek over Homer bu not real clear on why? One fellow said it was a shorter run. I realize I am looking at smaller fish on the half day gigs but that is ok with my crew. Not really interested in spending more hours riding than fishing. Is there a reason or preference for fishing out of one location than the other and does anyone here have a suggestion as to quality charters? Looking for the same thing everyone else does, decent gear, nice crew/capt and decent price, no surpise I am sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfish View Post
    Hoping someone can narrow it down for me. Ended up in Deep Creek this evening and would like to do a 1/2 day Halibut either Sat pm or Sunday. Had several folks suggest fishing out of Deep Creek over Homer bu not real clear on why? One fellow said it was a shorter run. I realize I am looking at smaller fish on the half day gigs but that is ok with my crew. Not really interested in spending more hours riding than fishing. Is there a reason or preference for fishing out of one location than the other and does anyone here have a suggestion as to quality charters? Looking for the same thing everyone else does, decent gear, nice crew/capt and decent price, no surpise I am sure.

Thanks
    You're going to find decent gear, nice crew/capt and decent prices in either place. There are a LOT more charter operators out of Homer, so if you're trying to find someone to go out with tomorrow you'll probably have better luck in Homer. Trying to find a charter just a day or two ahead of time at this time of year is about like looking for 4 leaf clovers---there's probably a few out there, but you're going to spend a LOT of time trying to find one.

As far as which place is better to fish I give my nod to Homer. But that's just my own opinion.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com