Thread: Help needed: 2 stroke 4 stroke on lake and river regulations

Default Help needed: 2 stroke 4 stroke on lake and river regulations

I recently picked up an older Suzuki 2 stroke 4 HP outboard for my raft. Seems to start and run great but haven't tested it on the waters yet. My concern is that a co-worked said in some lake or rivers, a 2 stroke outboard is Prohibited for some reason. Don't want to go to the wrong lake or river and get a citation. Sorry I didn't do my homework before purchasing the outboard, but would like to know facts of this regulation if someone can point me out in the direction. Links to the website reg would be great as well a personal experience as I have never used an gas powered outboard before. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, the Kenai River is the only area that currently has restrictions on two strokes. I remember somebody once posted a pretty comprehensive list on what lakes allow o/b's and what don't in the Kenai and Mat-su borougs.

In the Anchorage bowl you can use it on lower fire lake in Eagle River, limited to 50hp and under, and there is one lake in Anchorage you can use it. I believe all other lakes in the Anchorage bowl do not allow the use of any gas powered o/b.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/...ctions2009.pdf

Mostly hp or gas vs electric restrictions

2 strokes are being prohibited for the reason that 95% of them pollute the water by pumping unburnt fuel and oil into it.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks for the info. Guys. It's been a while since I checked this thread because I had no response for a while. But yes, I was reading that same link before posting this thread up, so now it gives me a since of security to use the 4hp 2 stroke outboard. I've actually haven't ran the outboard yet since I bought it, but will do so soon. Thanks Again.