Thread: 460 S&W 454 casul dies

Default 460 S&W 454 casul dies

I just bought a 460 S&W Thompson center Encore do you think I can adjust out my 454 Casul dies to work for reloading or will I need to buy 460 dies

Well I'm not sure, I know my Lee 45 Colt dies won't do 460. The 454 crimp die likely won't hack it and I'd say you just as well buy a Reding 460 4 die set and be done with it. That is what I did and I've had no regrets after the price shock was past.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've heard that the 460 can shoot the 454 rounds. Kind of like shooting 45 colt in the 454. So load up the 454 rounds for a 454 and use them in the 460.

If you want to load up 460 rounds, then get those dies and crimps.

Just from reading about it I could use a 460 set to load .45 Colt, .454Casull and 460SW.

Sort of like .38Spec and .357 magnum. I can load either with the .357 set, but I can't load .357magnum with the .38Special die set.

I have read.

Default Thanks for asking our advice.

Quote Originally Posted by codwyguy1 View Post
    I just bought a 460 S&W Thompson center Encore do you think I can adjust out my 454 Casul dies to work for reloading or will I need to buy 460 dies
    It will depend on a number of factors. Mainly die body length and the length of the threaded portions of your dies (both inside and outside) and the length of the threads of your press, as well.

You have to figure out if the lengths of your dies will accommodate the various lengths of the cartridges. The length of the threads in your press' top end will weigh in, too.

Take each die in turn and figure it out. Getting hold of a loaded factory cartridge of your chosen bullet weight and shape and trying adjustments in your press is the easiest way, I think.

Sizing die.

The sizing ring is in the base of the die, so 45 Colt is full length sized, no problem. The 454 Casull probably has no problem fitting into the sizing die fro 45 Colt. But the 46 S&W may be too long to go all the way into the sizing die to where the sizing ring gets all the way to the base of the cartridge.

The sizing ring just sizes the full length of the case. But when you get to the ultra-long 460 S&W, you may find that the case mouth hits the threads for the decapping stem before the full length of the case has gone into the sizing ring.

This incomplete sizing may or may not result in tight chambering.

The variation in length of the cartridges is irrelevant to the sizing die itself, but it might make a difference to the decapping pin. The 460 S&W is such a long cartridge that it may not fit in the die. There is no "ad hoc" cure for this without modifying the die body (reaming out the die body to allow full-length resizing and going without the decapping pin).

A die that long enough to accommodate the 460 S&W will easily accommodate the 45 Colt and 454 Casull.

The Case-Mouth Expanding die.

The operative part of the die is the expander. If you can adjust the expander plug and the die UP far enough to accommodate the extra length of the 460 case, you will have no problem. The length of the die body and the threads of your press will be the governing factors. If they are long enough to allow you to adjust the die up far enough for the 460 and down far enough for the 45 Colt, you will be able to accommodate all three cartridges.

Bullet Seating die.

Same factors as the case mouth expander die. But you might be able to modify a spare seating plug, making it shorter (for the 460 S&W).

Bullet crimping

Same as the case mouth expander.

For both the Seating and Crimping operations, if you MUST use a die too short for the 460 S&W, you can short-stroke your press. But this is a delicate thing to do and difficult to get even cartridge overall lengths or consistent crimp strengths by blind "feel".

Yeah, it is a lot of trouble. But when they made the dies for the 45 Colt, no one was thinking of lengthening the cartridge, so the die bodies were not made long enough to fit the Casull or 460 S&W. To make dies for the S&W 460 able to accomodate the shorter 454 Casull, 45 Colt and the 45 Schofield (one of the same family of cartridges few think about any more) is easy to do, but does involve making the threaded portions of the dies a lot longer than required before Dick Casull began his search for greater power.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    For both the Seating and Crimping operations, if you MUST use a die too short for the 460 S&W, you can short-stroke your press. But this is a delicate thing to do and difficult to get even cartridge overall lengths or consistent crimp strengths by blind "feel".

Lost Sheep
    You can mount the die high in the press, 3/8” to 1/2” off the shell holder and make everything but the sizing work by using the maximum arm travel as your depth stop. Sizing is where it gets real sketchy using 45/454 dies for 460 and some may work but most won‘t without a lot of modifying. Getting a solid crimp on the 460 with the shorter die could be iffy too.

Most 460 dies will load 454 and 45 Colt with the exception of crimping, the shorter cases don’t reach far enough in unless you trim the bottom of the 460 die off . . . then it may not work well for 460 with so much case exposed under the die.

Also note that 460 has a very slightly different rim than 45 Colt and 454, the grove diameter above the head isn’t as deep on most 460 brass as it is on 45/454 brass. For instance a Hornady 45/454 shell holder plate (L-N-L progressive) won’t hold 460 brass correctly, they stick, but the 460 shell holder holds all three just fine because the opening is a tad larger.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for all the great info guys I think it will be easyer to just buy 460 dies