Thread: Forum Errors!

Default Forum Errors!

Dang boys and girls, the site is down more than up for me anymore. I get database errors, error 404, server not responding and so on ALL the time now. Is this being worked on or does nobody even realize itís happening?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm not seeing this as of late (in the last few days). I was running into this last week though...

It's being worked on. The forums are a victim of their own success, and as such our servers have been overloaded. We're doing a major upgrade, though, so these issues should be a thing of the past as soon as that's done.

Thanks Brian, it's a real pain at night when I have time to play.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What's the status on this Brian? They seem to be down almost every night. Any chance of the Forum admins creating a FB page for updates? Probably redundant I suppose, but since I'm lazy, having updates show on my feed is very nice.

We're going to be moving the forums to a new server this weekend. This will necessitate having the forums offline for a day or so - maybe most of the weekend - but the result will be worth it. While it's down, it might be a good chance to check out the many, many new features on the rest of the site which will remain online. Hopefully by this point next week these outages and database errors will be a thing of the past.

Brian do you guys have a dedicated IT group that handles the site etc?

Yep, and I'm not on it, thankfully. I'm just passing along the messages at this point.

Thanks for the update Brian!

Default Things to Do Over the Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    What's the status on this Brian? They seem to be down almost every night. Any chance of the Forum admins creating a FB page for updates? Probably redundant I suppose, but since I'm lazy, having updates show on my feed is very nice.
    That's a great idea on the FaceBook update. We do have a FaceBook page and you can find it AT THIS LINK. I will keep all of you updated on this both there and here. There's some pretty cool info there already, including some of our immediate plans for the site (you're really gonna like it). So be sure to "friend us" on FaceBook!

Brian is correct on the repairs we are doing. Our site is somewhat complex in that we have the old forum pages, the old site pages, the new forums, the new site pages, the store, and another batch of site pages (about a hundred or so) that are being written in an updated version of our site software. The latter pages are not part of the forums, but are a brand new section of content that we've been working on for over a year. Soooo.... with that level of complexity, involving several different software programs, we have decided to put all the forums on their own dedicated server. We think that by decreasing the load on the existing server (where the rest of the site lives), we should eliminate the outages. Another issue that may be related is TapaTalk, the mobile app many of us are using, combined with the fact that so many of us never log out. We don't think that's a huge deal, but it does contribute to the server load. There was some discussion of temporarily disabling TapaTalk to see if it's causing issues, but we've tabled that discussion until after our server move.

The server move will happen this coming weekend (July 14-15, 2012). It will take the forums completely offline until the move is completed, so we are inviting folks to use that time to explore the tons of new content we've posted in the rest of the site as follows (consider it a belated "Open House"):

Please note that some of these pages are incomplete, and some of them link to other pages not on this list. So when you get there, check the side menus too! They lead to all sorts of interesting places.

Regions Pages We are following the ADF&G Regional designators, however we have divided each region into two halves, to make trip planning easier for you.

Activities Pages

Gear Pages

Directory

In short, there is no lack of new reading material in the other pages! And please, by all means let us know if you have other ideas for content. I will be happy to add it to the list. We are working on a ton of new stuff for you, including a new dip netting / fish wheel section. And we are looking for photos, so if you have any good ones, and you don't mind seeing them posted on the site, shoot me a line.

And feel free to write to us on FaceBook. We're trying to keep the discussions over there limited to site-related business, announcements and so forth. I don't want our FaceBook page to become another forum, please!

Thanks everyone, for your extraordinary patience while we sort through our growing pains! These crashes and outages are just an indication of the popularity of the site, so we're hitching up our boots and digging into the checking account to make it happen for you.

Best regards,

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-11-2012 at 05:32.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the FB link Michael! I had searched on FB for AK Outdoor directory and other names to no avail. I did not try "supersite."

That page is officially 'liked!'

Mike the team should be able to break the forum url link and redirect it to the main forum home page or a simple under construction page with a link to other content. This is a perfect time for me since I will be at the kids hunter safety class getting them educated and hopefully certified!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Mike the team should be able to break the forum url link and redirect it to the main forum home page or a simple under construction page with a link to other content. This is a perfect time for me since I will be at the kids hunter safety class getting them educated and hopefully certified!
    Yes, there will be a landing page that lets everyone know what's going on. Unfortunately the page doesn't accept HTML, so we can't post live links on it.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default rough stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Yes, there will be a landing page that lets everyone know what's going on. Unfortunately the page doesn't accept HTML, so we can't post live links on it.

Mike
    Sounds like your team is mucking about in the trenches under extreme conditions.

I've had web servers and sites for almost 20 years now, and I've never yet seen a web page that would not tolerate the existence of hyperlinks within, even with dynamically generated pages and PHP-circumstances, like you have there.

Best wishes to your team.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    ...I've had web servers and sites for almost 20 years now, and I've never yet seen a web page that would not tolerate the existence of hyperlinks within...
    You'll see one on Saturday. It's a VBulletin page intended for messages only. It's part of our forum system.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Sounds like your team is mucking about in the trenches under extreme conditions.

I've had web servers and sites for almost 20 years now, and I've never yet seen a web page that would not tolerate the existence of hyperlinks within, even with dynamically generated pages and PHP-circumstances, like you have there.

Best wishes to your team.
    Its an annoying security feature. All code other than plain text is stripped out. Don't worry - we can still list URLs... just not have them working as an actual hyperlink. Not that it'll matter much - downtime will hopefully be minimal.