Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage to TOK

Smile Anchorage to TOK

Hey guys, After 2 years of saving, researching and planning. Me and my hunting partner are all geared up and have our hunt all planned out for a DIY float hunt. It is our first trip to AK and we are super excited to say the least...

We will be arriving in Anchorage and driving up to TOK for a fly-out float hunt.
    We rented a 10' Uhaul and plan to sleep in the back during the travels up to TOK and returning.

What kind of sights or points of interest on the travel leg between Anchorage and TOK should we check out?

We will have 1 day to do some sightseeing on the leg to TOK and 2 days on the way back if weather is not an issue and all flights go as planned and on schedule etc.

Thanks in advance!!

anch to tok....best thing is just look out the window on the drive up there, its awesome country! matanuska glacier is pretty cool, but other than that i'm not sure of POI, but then again i've been here a while so it all starts to blend together, whats normal to me might be crazy cool to someone else. have a great trip!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by burgerta View Post
    Hey guys, After 2 years of saving, researching and planning. Me and my hunting partner are all geared up and have our hunt all planned out for a DIY float hunt. It is our first trip to AK and we are super excited to say the least...

We will be arriving in Anchorage and driving up to TOK for a fly-out float hunt.
    We rented a 10' Uhaul and plan to sleep in the back during the travels up to TOK and returning.

What kind of sights or points of interest on the travel leg between Anchorage and TOK should we check out?

We will have 1 day to do some sightseeing on the leg to TOK and 2 days on the way back if weather is not an issue and all flights go as planned and on schedule etc.

Thanks in advance!!
    On your drive back take a detour and drive down to Valdez, beautiful drive anytime of the year but the fall can be spectacular if you catch the leaves changing just right. Well worth the detour.

At the Richardson-Glenn Highway junction, stop at the food wagon in the gas station parking lot. It's called "Tok Thai Food" and it is some of the best thai food in the state. That is always on my must-stop list when I make that drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    At the Richardson-Glenn Highway junction, stop at the food wagon in the gas station parking lot. It's called "Tok Thai Food" and it is some of the best thai food in the state. That is always on my must-stop list when I make that drive.
    That is a mandatory stop!

Having just made the drive yesterday, and growing up in Copper River Valley, I can echo Brwnbr and Bronco's advice. The scenary from Hicks Creek to Eureka lodge is breath taking. Make sure to stop around the Sheep Mountain area and glass for rams, I always see them in the rust colored mountains. If you have a day, the couple hour drive to Valdez is well worth it. Hopefully you have a clear day, and about 30 minutes out of eureka lodge you pop over the hill and get the most incredible view of mt. sandford and the rest of the Wrangell St. Elias. Keep and eye out for moose in the Slana country and around the mentasta swamp.

I've done that drive several hundred times, and it NEVER gets old. If eating Thai food is the highlight of trip, then.....................
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I love the drive from Anchorage to Tok, it means I'm going hunting! I'll miss it this year (bringing GF up for 10 days), but back again next year for caribou. Tok is about 325 miles from Anchorage, here aresome spots I always like:

- Granite Creek - the view upstream is beautiful when the sun is out

- Long Lake, especially when the trees are golden in September; can pull off at the lake itself, or on one of the pullouts as you climb out of Long Lake

- As you climb out of Caribou Creek, about 1/2 mile up the road is a pullout on the right. Pull into it and look up on the ridges just across the road, usually can see mountain goats there

- Sheep Mountain Lodge - can often see sheep up on the mountains, and great place for lunch if it's around lunchtime

- Matanuska Glacier as Brwnbr said

- Once you pass Eureka, it will be difficult to see far off the road on eitherside as you're on a large forested plateau and trees come to the road edge on each side. This will last all the way into Glenallen, about 180 miles into your journey. If you didn't stop for lunch at Sheep Mountain, Glenallen is the best bet, not too many food stops between Glenallen and Tok

- After you hit Glenallen and turn off on the highway to Tok, you will get back into the mountains and there are several scenic pulloffs; the first couple of times I drove to Tok, I stopped at most of them.

It's about a 5.5 - 6 hour drive all told, take your time and enjoy the scenery, it will be unlike anything you've ever seen! Remember to check in with 40 Mile the evening you arrive, to see if there's any backup due to weather and to find out the plan for the next day.

Good luck, have fun, and share your story afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

I've done that drive several hundred times, and it NEVER gets old. If eating Thai food is the highlight of trip, then.....................
    Didn't say it was the highlight, but it is easily missed (unlike much of the scenery).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Good highlight for the trip. Gonna mark this one on the waypoint list for BH and I. We'll be cruising up from S.E. and this sounds like a winner.

Great Stuff Guys! Much appreciated!

Mentasta lake area is, well, kinda pretty.

And there is cell service..... If you need it before tok.

Are you hunting the 40 Mile?.....caribou or moose?.....and when?

I'm usually around there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Are you hunting the 40 Mile?.....caribou or moose?.....and when?

I'm usually around there somewhere.
    Yes, we are hunting Moose up in 40 Mile river area. We fly out 5th til 18th

If it is clear and you can see the mountains as you come into Glennallen take a right at the junction like you're going to head to Valdez. Go a few miles and pull off on the left just before you head down the hill. Drive back on the paved road a hundred yards or so and you'll see a sign that tells you the names of the Wrangell mountains in front of you. The Copper river will be below you and you can walk over to the bluff from where you pulled off the highway.

Another view of the Wrangells is halfway between Glennallen and Tok. About 70 miles and you will be looking south at Sanford and to the left should see Tanada peak.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    It is not the highlight but it beats the caribou for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    It is not the highlight but it beats the caribou for lunch.
    Or the freeze, or Park's. I've eaten dinner at the hub at 12am before. Jerky, Twinkies and Red Bull!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If you have TWO days on the way back to town from Tok, seriously consider driving across the Denali Highway and returning to Anchorage on the Parks Highway. The Denali is beautiful country, almost a must see in my mind for anyone visiting Alaska once or twice. Your only challenge will be lodging the night after you leave Tok; if it were me I would leave Tok early in the morning, drive to the Denali and have lunch in Paxson, then drive the 135 miles of highway to Cantwell that day (about 110 miles of it are gravel road, it will take a while and you'll want to make several stops as the scenery is awesome).

There are some really nice hotels a few miles north of Cantwell on the Parks, but they usually close down for the winter by September 15th or so. If you can find a place to stay, I'd overnight somewhere in the Cantwell/Denali area, and drive back to Anchorage the next day.

Is the Hub the gas station and gift store at the intersection in Glenallen? They have some good popcorn if it's fresh.

The Caribou Cafe has been hit and miss for me, some good meals and some less good.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Is the Hub the gas station and gift store at the intersection in Glenallen? They have some good popcorn if it's fresh.

The Caribou Cafe has been hit and miss for me, some good meals and some less good.
    Yep thats the Hub!

The Caribou has a good breakfast and good pizza.

If you do the Denali hwy with a rental be prepared for flat tires.

Stick with Tok Thai next to the Hub. Caribou food is some less good and the rest bad. Really tired of not having a good restaurant in the valley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast