Thread: 4 Night Trip out of Whittier

Default 4 Night Trip out of Whittier

Attachment 61222Attachment 61223

Headed out to the south end of Knight on Saturday for an extended trip with the family, including our two 1 year old labs. The weather was great, and we had an awesome time. Hit the ling opener on the 1st, and picked up 7 before deciding we had enough and turned our attention to halibut. The halibut action started off well, my son hooked a double almost immediately and then it died, we didn't catch any more. Started catching cod immediately on every drop and after the kids caught and we released about 25 of them, I decided that was enough. We anchored in Mummy with some friends who joined us out of Seward. We stayed there for two nights. Whales and porpoises were everywhere out there. We dropped shrimp pots in Long Channel and did ok. Pots got hung up once but managed to break them free without losing or damaging them. After two nights in Mummy, we slowly headed north and anchored the 3rd night in Drier Bay.

Looks like you guys had a great time out there. We only got out for a day and a half. Came home early due to the forecast.

Congrats on the lings.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks, just wish I could find the halibut like you have been hauling in. I tried the tip you posted, anchoring on a shelf surrounded by deep water that is surrounded by even deeper water. Didn't work so great for me, must not have been anchoring in the same spots you have been in! We did have a great trip, can't complain when you come home with halibut, lings, shrimp, and reds. I'm hoping to stealthfully follow you out to your hot halibut grounds some time.

RB cleaned off the 10 acre spot that those few butts were living on, you got to more on to the next 10 acre lump!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Darn. I'll find more on Monday..... Saw your boat (Snow Squal) in Whiiiter. I'd love to climb aboard and check her out one day if I see ya in town.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859