Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naked island shrimping ?????

Default Naked island shrimping ?????

Heading out to Naked to do some fishing this weekend and was wondering if it would be worth taking the shrimp pots out there. Im not asking for secrets or anything but just curous if it would be worth it or should i just drop them where i usually do?

I have not tried out by there, but if I were going to focus on halibut out by naked I would drop my pots on the way out. Maybe drop one string and then experiment with another string out further.

Taking an experimental pot sounds good. Just checked the weather report and there calling for 3-5ft seas so it sounds like its going to be a ruff run out there, gives me a chance to test the boat out i guess. thanks for the reply and happy fishing

When no one's around, I always shrimp naked. Something about the fresh air and the breeze....at least until about October

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    When no one's around, I always shrimp naked. Something about the fresh air and the breeze....at least until about October
    He's talking about fishing Naked. You're talking about fishing nekked! Anyway, I dropped pots on the south side of Naked Island once and didn't get squat.

Default naked

I dropped pots on the N. side of naked island a couple of weeks ago and had the same results as stated above . Nothing but empty pots. But overall shrimping has sucked for me this year even in the good spots I had last year.

I'll give you a hint. Go north from there and you can do fine for shrimp.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Hey - no hints allowed!

Well thanks for the input and hints, unfortuantly got boat down to the dock and made it just out of the harbor before the motor started overheating. So it was a very short trip for me, hopefully i will be back in the water soon. Happy fishing

Just got back from the sound and shrimping was slow. I noticed that 4whlr has had the same experience. What is everyone else experiencing? I have not done well at all this year. My last trip, I was out for 4 days and still could not find the shrimp. Is it just me?

I've actually done fair this year. Not great, but fair. This week was the first time I had someone pull my pots before me though. I dropped on Monday and picked them up last night and only caught about 50 shrimp. The reason I know someone pulled them is that I always catch about 2 gallons there during an 8 hour soak and the fact that the bait was still dry and full to the brim. LOL I never fill them more than a 1/3 full.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I've actually done fair this year. Not great, but fair. This week was the first time I had someone pull my pots before me though. I dropped on Monday and picked them up last night and only caught about 50 shrimp. The reason I know someone pulled them is that I always catch about 2 gallons there during an 8 hour soak and the fact that the bait was still dry and full to the brim. LOL I never fill them more than a 1/3 full.
    tie wraps on the doors my friend! maybe some treble hooks on the buoyline would be a deterrent.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I like the treble hook idea, but i'm sure they wouldn't mind cutting the zip ties for me too. On a side note, at least they didn't take the Lynx skull I had soaking down there on my first pot. It sure was stripped clean of all meat and such too. Now I can let it dry and make it look all purdy.
    MMSI# 338232859

I like the treble hook idea, but i'm sure they wouldn't mind cutting the zip ties for me too. On a side note, at least they didn't take the Lynx skull I had soaking down there on my first pot. It sure was stripped clean of all meat and such too. Now I can let it dry and make it look all purdy.
    Using oddball colored zipties doesn't prevent theft.
    I think Steves point is if they cut your zipties then you know you got robbed and it wasn't just poor shrimping.
    So often we hear someone got robbed but then they aren't sure if they missed their mark when setting or fished a dead area or ???
    If you use an odd colored ziptie and it was cut you then know for sure you got robbed.
    I understand your situation was different as the bait was fresher and filled fuller but most of the time there is no way to tell.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yeah, I see what ya mean. Never had a problem, but never have left them for two days before either. Hope they don't make a habit of pulling mine more often. Oh well, it is what it is and i'm not bitter about it. Just shocked that someone had the balls to take my shrimp AND take the time to rebait before tossing them back in. LOL
    MMSI# 338232859

Its my belief that about half the pots that are "stolen" are mostly likely picked by someone other than the pot owner and when thrown back over they drop them right off the ledge. Just a theory. Who has the balls to pick someone else's pots. Not me!

Me neither, but I do see how easy it would be. Especially with a E-dyne puller. But not worth getting shot over and it's just plain stupid.
    MMSI# 338232859

[QUOTE=kasilofchrisn;1144414]Using oddball colored zipties doesn't prevent theft.
    I think Steves point is if they cut your zipties then you know you got robbed and it wasn't just poor shrimping.

Exactly what i mean!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

At least their hands will hurt when cutting the ties off! Balloon filled with tar(driveway sealer) tied to buoyline also works wonders, it busts when it hits the block and splatters the tar on side of boat and cabin and it ain't easy(impossible) to wipe off all that sticky poop off the boat it only spreads out to a babysh#t brown. No need for the skull they couldn't eat it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve, I think we all now know not to mess with you or your stuff. Lol
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast