Thread: Good fishing early August...????

Default Good fishing early August...????

Have my mom coming in for a trip 1st of August and will be around for about a week. Want to get out and show her Alaska and get some rainbow or salmon fishing in. What're some good spots to check out around early August? Wouldn't mind hiking in a few miles to get to a good river...Just not sure what's hot around early August...

I know there's a book out about fishing the roadways of Alaska... buuuut I was wondering what some locals might have to say & I'm currently deployed in the Middle East and won't be back until late July...

Keep in mind, not asking for you to give up your "secret squirrel honey holes" but just a good idea of some places to look into would be nice...

What area? There will still be plenty of salmon an bows at that time. But there are quite a few areas - just depends which area you want to target.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    What area? There will still be plenty of salmon an bows at that time. But there are quite a few areas - just depends which area you want to target.

Welp, anywhere really... primarily Valdez, Denali, Seward, Soldotna, Cooper Landing is what I had in mind... anywhere really.. As long as I can access a trail or the area from a Highway or road of some sort. Like I mentioned, some hiking would be welcomed, but doesn't have to be.

Have your mom get the AK roadside angler book and see what interests her. Then take her to the spots she would like to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Have your mom get the AK roadside angler book and see what interests her. Then take her to the spots she would like to explore.
    Well... I've actually got that book at home and plan on looking it over... but the fact is locals have the best knowledge on areas vs reading in a book. Not to mention I've only got 2 days from the time I get home until she gets in and we take off... so... i figured maybe some of you would have some good advice...

I understand people have their spots and want to hold on to them, like i said earlier... not looking for you to give up your honey hole... just to share knowledge on good areas to check out that are ALIVE that time of year!!!!

First off thanks for your service. I guess it is just hard to pin-point exact areas on a public forum. With that said, I would check out the Matanuska Valley area around early August. Silvers will be in and probably some chums and pinks. In addition, you are in a excellent area for rainbows. But again, I would also recommend looking in the Highway Angler book and it should lead you to some good fishing in that area. Of course, you can go down to the Kenai area as well - just my suggestion. Hope this helps.

i would head down to Kenai and fish the russian river.

I would hit the streams on the parks highway, and places on the kenai that can be reached from the road. The russian will still have reds and silvers in it at that time. So really you have a lot of options. So basically if you want more help then that your going to have to narrow it down for readers on here to help you out. But pretty much any stream you come across should have fish in it at that time.

Thanks for the pointers. Appreciate it. Like I mentioned, just looking for a place to start and ya'll definitely did that! Thanks again!

There is some excellent silver fishing to be had on the Kenai at that time for sure......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!