Thread: Caribou and sheep hunts?

Default Caribou and sheep hunts?

Wondering if anyone can help me understand the hunts for caribou.

I am new to hunting - moose hunt and some small game this past year were my first hunts - but I am hooked. I went on the winter registration hunt for caribou on the Taylor Highway, but emergency order pushed it back to Mile 129 and although we went to Mile 140, we didn't see anything to shoot.

I am just trying to figure out how to do the General Season hunts. All I knew about were the permit and registration hunts, but I see there is a general season and there are HT's for it, so does anybody care to help point me on where to go for caribou or sheep in the general season? Mainly interested in getting a caribou. I know the sheep thing is kind of tight-lipped.

BTW, I am in the Valley.

The only general season caribou that is off the highway is the Haul Road hunt. That's a long drive and a lot of hiking if you fo not archery hunt.

For registration caribou there is the 40 Mile, White Mountain, and Macomb Plateau hunts, there might be more but those are all I can think of right now.

Get a copy of the new regulations and sit down and start reading them. You will get it figured out. First figure out what species you want to hunt then figure out what areas you currently have access to or can gain access to then see what the seasons and requirements are for those areas.

if caribou is what you are after, hope for the steese white mountain hunt in the winter or the 40 mile in the late summer. have attempted the macomb plateau hunt and if you cant fly in you have a hell of a walk. That area is controlled use if I remember correctly, which means no wheelers, and the caribou bulls there are very large, 300lbs plus. good luck and learn to shoot a bow, go up to the haul road

Thanks for the help, guys.

Bronco - that is what I have been doing. Just wasn't seeing where the general season hunt applied to, but I found it.

Wini - I looked on the site for those hunts, but I guess they won't register for them until they decide to allow them. I'll keep my eyes open - thanks again!

I'd head up to the Taylor hwy before opening day for caribou on the 29th if I was you. Be up around chicken ridge or nearby opening morning. You should see some caribou. Not sure how the hunting pressure is up that way now with the Nelchina tier 1 and drawing hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The only general season caribou that is off the highway is the Haul Road hunt. That's a long drive and a lot of hiking if you fo not archery hunt.
    Isn't it open to general season caribou in 16A off the Petersville Road?

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Isn't it open to general season caribou in 16A off the Petersville Road?
    It sue is but just because there is a season for them does not mean any exist there. The state likes to trick people like that. I am sure someone will come on here and tell me how they shot a B&C bull just outside Cache Creek last year but I don't believe them.

It sue is but just because there is a season for them does not mean any exist there. The state likes to trick people like that. I am sure someone will come on here and tell me how they shot a B&C bull just outside Cache Creek last year but I don't believe them.
    Good to know, thanks.... I don't mind hiking off the road quite a ways if I have to and I have access to a Supercub but road hunting is just so mich cheaper.

I shot a b&c caribou up by cache creek last yr.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I shot a b&c caribou up by cache creek last yr.
    No you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    No you didn't.
    Yes I did oh wait that was the up on the lupine river oops sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd head up to the Taylor hwy before opening day for caribou on the 29th if I was you. Be up around chicken ridge or nearby opening morning. You should see some caribou. Not sure how the hunting pressure is up that way now with the Nelchina tier 1 and drawing hunts.
    We drove past Chicken last winter for that hunt. Where is the "chicken ridge" you refer to? Do you mean at the fork there where you turn to go towards Eagle?

And correct me if I am reading the regs wrong, but that whole area is GMU 20E and the only hunts listed are by permit. I don't see anything open to everyone for a General Season? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    We drove past Chicken last winter for that hunt. Where is the "chicken ridge" you refer to? Do you mean at the fork there where you turn to go towards Eagle?

And correct me if I am reading the regs wrong, but that whole area is GMU 20E and the only hunts listed are by permit. I don't see anything open to everyone for a General Season? Am I missing something?

All permits that start with a "R" like RC465 etc are registration hunts which are generally open to both residents and non residents alike. Ones that start with a "D" like DC446 are drawing permits.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post

Just north of Chicken on the left side of the road is a ridge line that runs east-west, if I remember correctly.

The key to hunting the 40 mile heard is getting off the road and even getting off the trails. If you just stuck to the road on your previous trip that is part of the reason why you did not see anything.

Like Matt said get up there a day or two prior to the season opening and get in an area that you are seeing caribou in. Then get up opening morning and find your caribou.