Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck

Default Best bang for buck

I need to get an atv before hunting season this year. What is the best bang for my buck, say like under 7k? I know there are a lot of brands and styles but what will be the best most reliable machine I can get for my money?

Look in the swap and sell forum. Member Akmud is selling a 6x6 that is in great shape. He's the guy I called when I wanted to check out the quality of a used machine a few years back and I trust him like nobody else when it comes to keeping a machine in shape. If I were looking for another machine, that's the one I would look at first. I'm solde on the six wheelers. I own one four wheeler, but will never buy another.

Brain, why a 6x6 instead of a 4 wheeler? Seems like more maintenance no?

For what it's worth.....

I was "thinking" about buying a used wheeler for awhile. Then a few friends would tell me if I noticed how much guys were asking for used rigs? They were right. It's pretty hard to find a good used rig (low miles/hours) for a good price. For me it was worth waiting for a deal on a new rig for the little extra I ended up paying.

As far as a 6x6 opposed to a 4 wheeler..... Indeed the 6x6s have their place.....good for bigger families, carry more gear, etc. But I don't know if they can go everywhere a 4 wheeler can. Just like sometimes a larger (heavier) 4 wheeler, say an 800, will get stuck easier than say a 450. I've talked to a number of guys that bought big rigs and said their littler rigs never got stuck so much. Aftermarket tires play a big part, but it is something to think about.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ok so I'm thinking about an arctic cat or Yamaha in the 450-700 range. Sound about right? And I agree, the used rigs are ridiculous and I will probably but new maybe a couple years old model if they are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Ok so I'm thinking about an arctic cat or Yamaha in the 450-700 range. Sound about right? And I agree, the used rigs are ridiculous and I will probably but new maybe a couple years old model if they are still around.
    That's what I did.....Last fall I bought a new 2011' 450 Yamaha Grizzly just as the 2012s were coming out. Paid right at $8k w/ plow and winch. Love it, and it goes places that scare me...!!!...lol

^I did the same thing - bought a brand new 2011 Yamaha 450 with EPS for my wife last summer for $6,900 out the door. Smok'n deal! I think the 450 Yamahas are an excellent value, and you can still put a recoil start on them! their only downside is they don't idle well until they're warm! I also have a Polaris 6x6, and I love it too, but don't have the seat time in it yet that I do the Yamaha. It's a different animal with a different application, but in general, I think the 450 Grizz is more "fun" and sporty to ride. Throw some 26" Mudlites with stock width on it, and you'll almost be unstoppable!

Go with the Honda foreman 500. Put a winch and mudlites on there and you'll be good to go more places you care to.

Anyone have an arctic cat?

In my experience the 6x6 is no more maintenance than a four wheeler. The advantages is that I get stuck far less often, I have the box to carry my gear and an animal (thus removing the need for a trailer), it is almost impossible to flip them over backwards on a steep climb (I know two people who have broken their backs doing so on 4 wheelers), and with two little kids it'll be more workable to take everyone with two six wheelers as opposed to four wheelers. I've yet to find a place I can't get to that a four wheeler could. Yeah, I have a wider turning radius, but everything else is an advantage. As for used machines, when the newer six wheelers came out it became pretty easy to find good deals on the older chain-drive models. Personal preference, I guess, but I bought mine with around 1,000 mild miles on it for just over 4k. I'm totally sold on six wheelers and I can't see any reason to buy a four wheeler instead.

Brian thanks for the insight. I Do have a son who will want to go hunting one day I hope and that is something to think about for sure. Now what brand of 6x6 is preferred? I know not all manufacturers make them correct?

Polaris is the only game in town for a 6x6. One other advantage that I forgot to mention is that you can get tracks for the older machines. If you find a used on in good shape with tracks, that thing is unstoppable in swampy stuff that would stop any other machine.

I'll throw my $.02 in here. The 6x6 are indeed nice machines but for reliability, versatility and all around usefulness the Honda Rancher is pretty tough to beat. You can get a brand new one with 4x4 and electric shift for well under your budget figure.

If you're interested I have a 2011 2 up Can Am with a road trailer for $8200 in the "for sale" section. It's a nice machine in great shape but I need something larger that'll haul me and the wife, the kid and the dog.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For what it's worth.....

I was "thinking" about buying a used wheeler for awhile. Then a few friends would tell me if I noticed how much guys were asking for used rigs? They were right. It's pretty hard to find a good used rig (low miles/hours) for a good price. For me it was worth waiting for a deal on a new rig for the little extra I ended up paying.

As far as a 6x6 opposed to a 4 wheeler..... Indeed the 6x6s have their place.....good for bigger families, carry more gear, etc. But I don't know if they can go everywhere a 4 wheeler can. Just like sometimes a larger (heavier) 4 wheeler, say an 800, will get stuck easier than say a 450. I've talked to a number of guys that bought big rigs and said their littler rigs never got stuck so much. Aftermarket tires play a big part, but it is something to think about.
    What he said!

A friend was looking for a couple of good machines for a few months. All the good ones he found were only a few hundred less than new. The ones that were 75% or less of a new price were crap. Unless you find a screaming deal, buy new and get a warranty.

Got my wife one with power steering, I got brownie points for that

Anyone have an arctic cat?
    tbone I have two arctic cats.. a 700s and a 500s (s is power steering) great tough machines. I may be selling the 700s just bought a ranger also, the 700 is kind of used its got around 50 miles on it and never been off my street.

Bear sounds interesting. How much? Honda foreman I hear a lot about but they only make 500 as their largest size correct? I want at least that and maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've yet to find a place I can't get to that a four wheeler could.
    Last winter my friend's Boss couldn't get up a frozen hill that my 450 zipped up. He did say though that my stock tires looked a little more aggressive than his stock tires....

Bear sounds interesting. How much? Honda foreman I hear a lot about but they only make 500 as their largest size correct? I want at least that and maybe more.
    Honda has slacked off in recent years. They have been counting on their engine to pull them through, and have neglected the rest. Yamaha and Polaris are the top two. And as of last fall, Yamaha had been the number 1 seller for the last 4 years...

for what it's worth, I have a '06 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and my uncle has a ?? Honda Rincon 700 and he used mine all winter because his took forever to warm up. The Grizz is a lot lighter than other machines out on the market and Ive got 2800 miles on mine and it still starts as soon as you hit the starter. For waht people want for used bikes, I would buy new. You never know how people take car of their toys!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Grizzly man thanks for the info. Never heard one complaint about the grizzly atvs. Makes me think they are hard to beat. How about loading them up with weight though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast