Thread: Anchor rope 1/2" poly ok ?

Default Anchor rope 1/2" poly ok ?

I got a 22 ft sea sport and need new anchor rope is 1/2" poly rope alright or is nylon better.
    thanks

nylon is better IMO, but it is also more expensive. The breaking strength of 1/2" poly is much less than nylon I think.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Buy the good stuff. Your SeaSport is worth it!

You can get 600' of 1/2" 3 strand from AK wire and rope for roughly $212. Much better than wasting your money on poly.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

As in 1/2 poly that floats?
    I agree on the 3 strand nylon first
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

The nylon sinks, has good stretch for shock absorbstion and is stronger than poly. The poly will last a few years but as it "burns" in the sunlight it will develop little splinters that will mess with your hands and it will get weak. You don't really need 1/2" with that size boat 3/8" will do you fine and it will cost you less, if you can just bite the bullet and go for a nice braided nylon it takes up 1/2 the space and stores much easier/better.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

What potbuilder said about nylon because it stretches and absorbs the shock while at anchor. Never really heard of anyone using poly except maybe bass boats.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Poly floats and if not very careful can get caught on your motor and be the end of ever fishing again.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    The nylon sinks, has good stretch for shock absorbstion and is stronger than poly. The poly will last a few years but as it "burns" in the sunlight it will develop little splinters that will mess with your hands and it will get weak. You don't really need 1/2" with that size boat 3/8" will do you fine and it will cost you less, if you can just bite the bullet and go for a nice braided nylon it takes up 1/2 the space and stores much easier/better.
    What Steve said!

Another way to look at it, how much is your boat worth? Is your boats value and your safety worth saving $100 on your anchor rode?

I figure the anchor and rode is the last place to go undersize or save a couple of bucks. I'd suggest a 22# bruce, 20' of 3/8" chain and 600' of 1/2" 3 strand.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I decided not to skimp on the Anchor and/or line for my boat. I have a 23' fiberglass boat.
    I went with an anchor one size bigger than recommended by the manufacturer added plenty of chain and 600' of 3/8 double braid.
    I was looking for a Bruce style anchor and trustworthy had the Lewmar Claw which is very similiar.
    Trustworthy in Soldotna has a pretty good price on 600' spools of rope. They have poly, 3 strand nylon, and the double braid.
    I have never heard or seen anyone use poly for their Anchor line. It also never occcured to me to try it.
    With all the other expenses of boating the price difference in line is really not that much.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

thanks all for the info going
    going with 1/2" nylon

What is the pulling tensile strength of 3/8" double braid vs. 1/2 double braid?

What about 8 plait in 3/8 vs. 1/2 ?

I am trying out a Dyneema 3/8" line with 50 foot of chain on a Delta anchor. So far so good. The line is rated for 17,000 pounds and take no room at all for 600 feet. Looks way way too thin when you look at it but it seems to work on my set-up. If I had to run it through a gypsy, it would be a different story though. It is on a EZ Anchor Puller.

Does the dyneema have much stretch? My knowledge of dyneema is from climbing and the two things I recall is that it has very little stretch, and also degreeds from UV fairly quickly. The small dia is appealing, but I think in an anchor rode having some give is a generally a good thing, so long as it doesn't stretch to the point you hit shore :O
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    I am trying out a Dyneema 3/8" line with 50 foot of chain on a Delta anchor. So far so good. The line is rated for 17,000 pounds and take no room at all for 600 feet. Looks way way too thin when you look at it but it seems to work on my set-up. If I had to run it through a gypsy, it would be a different story though. It is on a EZ Anchor Puller.
    The experiences i've had with that type of rope is that it has very little abrasion resistance, i wouldn't trust it a whole lot chafing on rocks or on metal roller edges on bow rollers.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692