Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack handsaw?

Default Backpack handsaw?

Any suggestions for a small handsaw that will be used on backpack hunts? Something small and light? I'm trying to remember where I saw it, but someone on the forum posted a picture of one that was orange in color and looked pretty small.

Wyoming is a traditional kit used by many. I've got one that has a 12? Inch wood/bone blade.

For compact usage I'll carry a chain style saw versus the fixed straight blade.

If your in the Anch area stop by Barney's, the have a cool lightweight 1 piece saw.

I have had a Sven folding camp saw for years. Simple and works great.

http://www.campmor.com/sven-folding-...=%7Bkeyword%7D

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Any suggestions for a small handsaw that will be used on backpack hunts? Something small and light? I'm trying to remember where I saw it, but someone on the forum posted a picture of one that was orange in color and looked pretty small.
    I've had em all, the sven, the wymoning, and traditional bow saws. A couple forum member here told my to try a stanly sharp tooth.....and wow what a saw. The handle and weight of a Wyoming sucks. The triangulated sven frame limit cut depth. A stanley sharp tooth will rip. It'll actually weigh half of what a wyoming will, and you don't have to was time putting the darned thing together. Sew a little pack sheath on your pack, and you'll never notice it's there. The handle is ergonomically placed for the cutting of large amounts of wood, and the blade coating prevent binding. No limit on the depth of this saw, and the length actually gives you a real cut, instead of the silly little folding saws that'll wear you out.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I've had em all, the sven, the wymoning, and traditional bow saws. A couple forum member here told my to try a stanly sharp tooth.....and wow what a saw. The handle and weight of a Wyoming sucks. The triangulated sven frame limit cut depth. A stanley sharp tooth will rip. It'll actually weigh half of what a wyoming will, and you don't have to was time putting the darned thing together. Sew a little pack sheath on your pack, and you'll never notice it's there. The handle is ergonomically placed for the cutting of large amounts of wood, and the blade coating prevent binding. No limit on the depth of this saw, and the length actually gives you a real cut, instead of the silly little folding saws that'll wear you out.
    What he said. 'Bout the only saw you can cut ribs and drink a beer at the same time with

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Lots of companies make something like this. The blade is the "japanese" type and cuts on the pull. I have had one of these for years and they cut through wood and bone super fast. A lot lighter than a wyoming saw. Have one of those as well, but it doesn't go into my backpack.

http://www.coleman.com/product/foldi...0#.T_ZEKhzBH08

I recommend the takedown bucksaw saw for backpacking.You can get both a bone blade and wood blade.Some good vids on youtube and no bad reviews.I have one and it is very well made.
    http://www.trailblazerproducts.com/products/view/21/

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    What he said. 'Bout the only saw you can cut ribs and drink a beer at the same time with
    Yeah....but will it cut the skullcap off a 65" bull and still stay fairly sharp? I'm not putting it down, just asking...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah....but will it cut the skullcap off a 65" bull and still stay fairly sharp? I'm not putting it down, just asking...
    Uhhh, yep. Bone is bone, it'll cut through any of 'em you want, although we usually use a chainsaw for that particular chore. Whether it's saws or knives, it's cutting through hide that will dull 'em down more than anything.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    my to try a stanly sharp tooth.....

I have one of those, and it's a complete POS. I got it for building an outhouse up at the cabin, for use after all of my cordless tool batteries die. I can't even cut pine 2x4's with it. Blade hangs up and bends on every or every other stroke. Still haven't finished the outhouse lol.

Wyoming II saw, I never leave home without it
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

For backpack hunts, where it's only going to be just used occasionally, my favorite is the Rocky Mt Pac Saw. They were made in Dubois, Wyoming, but have been out of production for a decade or more. They show up regularly enough on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rock...item27c8b2774b
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rock...item35bdebced9

I've had mine 17 years now and it's still holding up fine. Bone saw on one side, wood saw on the other. I made a "sheath" out of folded up cardboard and duct tape to cover the teeth. Handle folds down over the blade. Toss it in the pack - about 10" long folded down and weighs in around 7 oz. Not something I'd want to cut through the skull cap of a moose with, or stack up a cord of firewood, but works well for capping something sheep/caribou size.

FYI - I wouldn't spend $85 on one. I think they were around $30 new.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    For backpack hunts, where it's only going to be just used occasionally, my favorite is the Rocky Mt Pac Saw. They were made in Dubois, Wyoming, but have been out of production for a decade or more. They show up regularly enough on ebay.

I've had mine 17 years now and it's still holding up fine. Bone saw on one side, wood saw on the other. I made a "sheath" out of folded up cardboard and duct tape to cover the teeth. Handle folds down over the blade. Toss it in the pack - about 10" long folded down and weighs in around 7 oz. Not something I'd want to cut through the skull cap of a moose with, or stack up a cord of firewood, but works well for capping something sheep/caribou size.

I used to have one something like that I carried in my plane survival kit. Not sure that was the name but it did look like that...T handle and one course wide set teeth and one side finer teeth. Mine wasn't stainless and rusted if you didn't keep it oiled. It did cut realy good but I remember it was hard on the skin between your fingers. Not sure what happened to it.

Now for me, the answer is a 12" Stihl pruning saw.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Ya know what guy?......my "Buck" version is almost just like that. I've had that thing for longer than I know. That thing found it's place in the bottom of my pack for years and years. It cut through many big moose skullcaps when I was guiding, and a number of my own bulls. Only now has it just started to get dull. I would like to either get another one or have this one sharpened. It's been a great saw for sure.

+1 what GD Yankee said

Super light

Vaughan Bear Saw

Thanks for that. I remember seeing those around, but haven't in a few years. I like the fact that the saw only weighs 7 oz and the overall length seems about perfect for extended backpacking/hunting.

I have the 12" dandy saw and love it. Lightweight and sturdy with its own cover. I think it is made from old band saw blades or somethin like that but it is the best saw I have used and easy to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    I have the 12" dandy saw and love it. Lightweight and sturdy with its own cover. I think it is made from old band saw blades or somethin like that but it is the best saw I have used and easy to hold onto.
    That looks like a great little saw with lots of positive reviews....

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Can you get em local?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast