Thread: Are any of you guys

Default Are any of you guys

land surveyors? If so, do you do any large tract surveying or is it mostly in the city? Do you ever get to do any hunting while your out working?

When I moved back up here from Louisiana. I came up expecting to get a job as a surveyor. I had a few years experience as a grade check and about 2 years as a full fledged "surveyor." But I wasn't "certified" like everyone that I tried to get a job with seemed to require. So I ended up getting the job that I have now (electrical sales) and never went back to surveying.... So I wish I could answer your question, but it looks like I can't!

- Clint

It's a mixed bag in Alaska. Some surveyors will actually run 2 companies at once. One will be strictly for construction stake-out, etc to take advantage of the Davis-Bacon wages and other benefits that can be had. They often have a union connection. The other side will be for the land boundary type work. That can be anything from urban sites to remote parcels. The sheer logistics involved in the large tract remote stuff dictates that the larger firms usually get this type of work. Some Native corporations also have in-house surveyors to handle their own work and to contract for other work. Tanana Chiefs in Fairbanks does a lot of the remote cadastral work for themselves and BLM. Some also own full-blown engineering firms that do it all from survey to design and construction....Arctic Slope Technical Services and DOWL Engineers are a couple. Many licensed individuals will sub-contract themselves to the larger firms on a per job or seasonal basis. The key word for surveying in Alaska is "flexibility'" You have to be able to go anywhere in all conditions if you want to stay fully employed. After many years of this I finally got tired of being in some village, missing the kids birthday's and found me a "gubmint" job where I mostly ride a desk. It don't pay as well, but at least I get to be home most of the time! Qualified, licensed surveyors seem to be getting fewer and fewer in Alaska. The last time I had to fill a position there were only 2 applicants after about 90 days of advertising and none of the 6 people that work for me had less than 18 years experience when they came.

Most surveyors working in remote area are carrying some sort of firearm and yes at times do take a "break" when a target of opportunity (in-season of course) presents itself. I also know of a lot of surveyors that are so busy when hunting season rolls around that they can't find time to even go hunting!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Surveying

Quote Originally Posted by Cmizo View Post
    land surveyors? If so, do you do any large tract surveying or is it mostly in the city? Do you ever get to do any hunting while your out working?
    I am a surveyor and have been working in Alaska for 25 years. I have worked on large remote projects and the only hunting on the job was getting bears out of camp. BC