Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stockingfoot wading boots for hunting

Default Stockingfoot wading boots for hunting

I have my first AK hunting trip coming up in Sept. I am looking at getting a pair of stocking foot waders. I'm looking for suggestions on wading boots to go with. I have been looking at a pair from cabelas. I have also looked at the Simms boots but it looks like the cabela's pair would have better traction for hunting. Any thoughts, input, experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. I also have a pair of normal hunting boots that I will be taking along as well.

Thanks

I got a pair of Cabelas wading boots and the sole started to separate from the boot within a few months. I picked up some Simms boots and the manufacturing quality is a LOT better, and they dry quickly. The traction is about the same for both boots, I thought.

My feeling is that up here you really don't want your gear to fail, period.

I hunt often in sock foot chest waders. An old pair of comfortable hiking boots with the insole removed works great. Wader boots typically have crappy ankle support insufficient for serious hiking/hunting, IMO.

first question is why waders and where are you hunting?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have had good luck with Cabelas anklefit style. You should consider some feltliners from swains to line the soles in cold conditions. http://www.swainsinc.com/storeframe....html~mainFrame
    If you don't like waders you might consider Gortex Gators over waterproof hiking boots. I have relied on this combination many times crossing streams , shallow rivers etc.
    Last edited by Stumpsitter; 07-05-2012 at 20:04. Reason: Additional info

I'd have to say that it would really depend on where you are hunting. I would imagine that in some places they would do ok. But from my experience I really don't think sock waders would stand up to the stuff I've had to go through most of the time.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I will be hunting in GMU18. Most people recommend hip waders but just haven't found a pair that are comfortable enough to be walking in them all day.

I've had no issue trotting around for 8 hours in a pair of Simms G4 Guide boots.

I'm no expert but have used cheap $100 breathable chest waders on moose hunts and PWS bear hunts for 5 years years. I bought a pair of leather hiking boots one size too big and drilled holes in the sides for the water to drain. I find them better than hip boots because I always seem to find stream crossings that are just too tall for hippers. They are far easier to walk in and with good fitting hiking boots are more sure footed. They're better than rain paints and allow you to wear a regular rain jacket without dripping in your hippers. They don't get too hot if you need to hike up a the mountain a ways to glass, you can layer underneath for warm or cold days, you can sit right on the ground without soaking you drawers and you can repair them easy with ShoeGoo if you get a hole or tear. They're great for taking care of the bloody work because you can wade out in a steam afterwards and rinse'em off.

I spend almost all my outside time from June - October in a pair of Simms guide pants (stocking foot). We get a fair amount of wet days out this way, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I personally don't need the full waders, and using the pants cuts down on the heat. They are not inexpensive, but I have gotten my money's worth out of them. My current pair has about 6 years on them and save a trip back to the factory to repair some pin holes, they have been absolutely bomb proof (falling on the tip of a moose antler will puncture them however). I fish, camp, and hunt in them. They look like hell, and smell even worse, but they work for me. Lots of folks use hip boots, over boots, rain pants,..... but to me, wading pants are the best combo of comfort and function for non-mountain activities. A friend uses some model of Cabelas wading pants and he likes them, but they don't seem to be as durable. Maybe my problem is that I have just never found a pair of hip boots that fit me well enough to want to walk all day in them. I have found the Korkers interchangeable boots to be pretty useful as well. The earlier models had a problem (in my opinion) of the interchangeable sole coming off too easily, but my current pair doesn't seem to have this issue. They have a traction sole that works pretty well, but they are all I have used, so can't tell you how they compare. Both companies have (in my opinion) excellent customer service.
    Anyway, hope you have a great hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    I'm no expert but have used cheap $100 breathable chest waders on moose hunts and PWS bear hunts for 5 years years. I bought a pair of leather hiking boots one size too big and drilled holes in the sides for the water to drain. I find them better than hip boots because I always seem to find stream crossings that are just too tall for hippers. They are far easier to walk in and with good fitting hiking boots are more sure footed. They're better than rain paints and allow you to wear a regular rain jacket without dripping in your hippers. They don't get too hot if you need to hike up a the mountain a ways to glass, you can layer underneath for warm or cold days, you can sit right on the ground without soaking you drawers and you can repair them easy with ShoeGoo if you get a hole or tear. They're great for taking care of the bloody work because you can wade out in a steam afterwards and rinse'em off.

This is what I was talking about. He just said it better..

I hunt river sloughs alot and many's the time hippers would have not been high enough to keep from getting wet while moose hunting.

Like I said.......it depends on where you are hunting....

Down here there is so much dead fall we have to deal with, that I don't believe they would last a day. In fact even when I jump off the wheeler to go for just a short hike, I'm worried I may blow out my good LaCross hippers. If you don't have to deal with any of this kind of thing where you hunt then maybe the sock waders will do for you. But personally......I've never liked hunting moose all day in any kind of waders. Not during the hot, damp, conditions we seem to run into more and more during moose season.....

For the last 5 years, I've been using Teva Proton water shoes as my hunting boots ... over sock-foot waist high waders, or just over neoprene socks. They are light, flexible and keep my feet close to the ground. (The Teva Proton's latest iteration is called the Nilch.) Been an excellent combo for me. I guess I've bought into the minimal footwear hype. BUT, the foot/ankle problems (had surgery on both my ankles in 1980) I've dealt with since I was a teenager, no longer affect me. I've packed moose quarters out to the river and my feet/ankles felt great. And, I can sneak thru the woods far more effectively than I used to in hip boots. This is what works for me.

When I know I dont need to cross deeper waters, I wear glacier socks inside my old holey hiking boots. If I need quiet for a stalk, I roll them up underneath my pantleg. A slightly expensive option, but it works terrific.

4mer, my waders are the lightweight (not very) "breathable" type I bought them at costco 6 or 7 years ago. I have jabbed them with pungi sticks, run them past devils clubs and walked into hidden logs and stuff alot and amazingly they have held up.

They now have a pinhole leak in them somewhere, but I only use them to cross water, not stand in it, so a little leak is no big deal.

I do agree that especially early season, they are hot, damp, and noisy. But they are pretty darn nice to have on when its 40 degrees and raining....

A few years back, B&J had breathable stockingfoot hip boots (I guess that's what they'd be). I bought a pair and found them to be ideal for the moose hunting I've done. I wear them with a pair of older hiking/mountaineering boots that were always a little big for me, with the insoles removed. I can and have backpacked all day in them in some rough stuff. With the 3/4 length helly impertech coat, I'm good to go.

They do swish in brush a bit, but I've managed to work around that.

Muck Boots makes a roll-down hip wader boot that you just roll up when you need to do a crossing. But it has been my experience that you will ALWAYS end up getting over your hip waders, and if you are using chest waders, you will end up getting over your head in those too. The best thing to do is carry a pair of cheap but supportive hiking boots that you only plan on using for crossing streams and just accept the fact that you are going to get soaked. don't worry about drying them out, the hiking boots are for one purpose, crossing rocky creeks and rivers.

And anything you want to stay dry, bag it inside of a bag inside of a bag. if you are crossing serious rivers, one of the handiest things you can have is a full body wetsuit, a thin one, like 3.5 mm neoprene. they can be lifesavers in certain situations.

By the way, neoprene and nylon hip waders are the only way to go if you plan on doing any kind of hiking at all. Unless you love pain, you will NOT try walking in stiff, heavy rubber hip waders. I have done it all, used it all, and I never use hip or chest waders for hunting or even creek crossings. They are actually dangerous. there have been plenty of people that have almost died from having their hip or chest waders filling with water and dragging them down after they lost their footing and went into deep water or tumped their canoe over. it very nearly happened to me once and I swore those hip waders off then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    I have done it all, used it all,
    Well then by God the rest of us should just shut up and let you take over the forum...!!! I mean really no need for us to take up precious space when you, by yourself, have done it all, used it all, and got ALL the answers...!!!

Buddy....how long are you gonna continue to stick your foot in your mouth...???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well then by God the rest of us should just shut up and let you take over the forum...!!! I mean really no need for us to take up precious space when you, by yourself, have done it all, used it all, and got ALL the answers...!!!

Buddy....how long are you gonna continue to stick your foot in your mouth...???!!!
    I am not sticking my foot in my mouth if you can't refute with facts and personal experience what I am saying. you are the one setting yourself up, not me. I actually know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    I am not sticking my foot in my mouth if you can't refute with facts and personal experience what I am saying. you are the one setting yourself up, not me. I actually know what I am talking about.
    Whatever you say chief......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast