Thread: Devils Pass/Summit Creek

Default Devils Pass/Summit Creek

I will be up there in the end of august and looking at doing a couple days hiking. Is there another loop a person can take to make this a 2 night hike? Looks like a pretty good hike or does anyone have any better suggestions? I will be staying in eagle river. I know we are going to do the harting ice field hike and trying figure something else for a 2night hike any other suggestions are welcomed and thanks for your input ahead of time

I really like Summit Creek, but Crow Pass from Girdwood to Eagle River is the perfect two night hike. Another great option would be Kesugi Ridge.

I second Kesugi Ridge. Little coal creek to Ermine lake, byers lake or troublesome creek trailheads, depending on how many nights and how in shape you are. Terrific alpine country, views of the Alaska range, glaciers, etc. An underrated hike for sure...You would need to do the car ferry thing however since it is not a loop hike.

how far of drive is kesugi from eagle river thanks for the input thus far. I am looking into the hike from girdwood to eagle river as well. Or would you recomend doing summit creek devils pass loop in two days one night and do another over nighter?

Kesugi Ridge is about 2 to 2.5 hours north of Eagle River. I believe its a 27 mile hike, so it could be done in three days/2 nights. Never done this hike but it would have absolutely amazing views of Denali. I believe there is a shuttle company up there that will actually pick you up at your car and drive you to the far end of the trail so you can hike back to your vehicle. Backpacker magazine just had a write-up on this hike.

The Devils Pass/Summit Loop is a one nighter. Been a few years but if I remember correctly it's a 14-15 mile loop. Easy enough to park in one spot and hike the loop back to the car.

Staying on the Kenai, there is also Johnson's Pass trail, Russian Lakes trail, Crescent Creek Trail. All would require dropping a car if you did the through hike.

Crows Pass is a great overnight hike but requires some car jockeying. Great views and should be some wildlife; moose, sheep, black bears, goats, glaciers. Bring the binoculars.

There are a handful of over night trips you can do in the mountains right next to Anchorage and Eagle River if you wanted to do a night close to town. You can grab $5 maps at Fred Meyer of both the Kenai and the Chugach Mtns/Anchorage that will show you the the trails.

We just did the Resurrection trail from Cooper Landing to hope in less than 48 hours. Spent first night at Romig Cabin and Second at East Creek. Made for some long hikes but it can be done. Devils pass to Cooper Landing is an easy double nighter.

i will have to look into adding coopers landing otherwise we are thinking crows pass cause we could get dropped off and just meet with who we are staying with in eagle river but kesugi ridge looks really appealing as well. How has the weather been out there. And do you guys have any recomendations for a place to rent a vehicle

Well, weather wise we're having one of the coldest July's on record. That will probably feel pretty dang good for someone coming up form the midwest though. The weather in southcentral AK has been pretty lame over the last month. Lots of cool weather and lots of clouds hanging over the mountains. You still have a few weeks until you come up so the weather could always turn for the better. You may just want to watch the weather as you gear up for your trip and decide on a final hiking destination once you get here. Sometimes it just takes getting away from the coast and you'll be able to get away from the clouds. This means Kesugi ridge could be nice and sunny when Anchorage or the Kenai Peninsula is socked in.

All the major car rental companies operate in Anchorage so you can shop around.