Thread: Headed to Ak tomorrow, which way to go?

Default Headed to Ak tomorrow, which way to go?

Well it the day has come and we will be headed north tomorrow. As mentioned in earlier post we are arriving in Anchorage pickup up the RV and the rest is pretty much open. Here in lies the question? Realizing there are many variables generally speaking which direction should we head for decent bank fishing. I realize different rivers have different things to offer and with the reports of record low numbers I am lost as to which way to go. Fishing is not the primary focus of this trip but is something we hope to experience while there. We are thinking of pushing south toward Seward for a few days, then heading north toward Glenn Allen maybe Valdez. Other sites/locations worth visiting are of interest also so any suggestions of "don't miss stops" please let me hear it. thanks

What is the duration of the trip? Spending a few days down towards Seward is a great idea, but there isn't likely to be much going on as far as bank fishing. If you can spare 3 days, heading across the Denali Highway would offer a different type of spectacular scenery along with some good grayling fishing. They're small fish, but loads of fun to catch.

Brian, Thanks for the quick response. Just the info I am looking for. I will be in AK for 9 days leaving the 16th. I am bringing both light tackle (6# spinning) and heavier spinning gear in the 15-20# range. What's the deal with the grayling? Methods, average size, etc...? Sure, would love to find some salmon of some type and rainbows are always great. My family loves to eat fresh fish and we are hoping for a catch that is great for the table while there. Camping in a RV so moving around is not a problem. Any recommendations on which tackle shop to hit while in Anchorage? Bringing rods and reels but plan on buying tackle once there with hopefully local advise. 6 pm 99 degrees with 106 heat index, blazing here in SE Virginia. Thanks again, packed and ready to go.

Grayling average only about 1 pound. They're really aggressive feeders and will hit most anything, though small spinners or small black flies are generally the go-to options. They're good eating if you eat them fresh (very mild white flesh), though they don't freeze well, so only plan on keeping enough for dinner if you target them. The beauty of grayling is that they're easy to catch, so they're a perfect fish for kids. If you do the Valdez trip, maybe plan a day to head north of Glennallen the 70 miles to Paxson. There was recently a great thread on here about grayling fishing up that way with ideas on where specifically to target them. It's a beautiful area with great grayling fishing, and you might be able to watch caribou while you're at it (which you will not likely see elsewhere on your trip). As for salmon, you could probably get into some shore fishing for pink salmon in Valdez by then. Late July is better fishing, but the quality of the fish is better in early July. If you're willing to do a charter, you could probably do well on silver salmon out of Seward later in your trip, but it's too early to catch silvers from shore. Your only other realistic option for salmon from shore would be the lower Kenai for reds late in your trip or possibly the Klutina or Gulkana Rivers near Glennallen for reds as well (not sure how those rivers are currently shaping up). You're about 7-10 days too early for some of the better salmon fishing on the Kenai Peninsula.

Brian, please ck PM...

Default more help??

Well we are here and trying to figure out which is the best chance from some shore fishing. On the Glenn today thinking about ehading to Valdez hope there is really a chance of Pinks from shore. Then taking Brians suggestion of heading north to Paxson. Any help with more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brian please check pm if you have a moment of give me a call 747 810 1632 jim

You should take the time to stop by and floss the Klutina for reds, the big slug of fish is not up there yet, but with a couple hours a guy might hook into a red or two - and they are spectacular table fare. Take a left after you cross the Klutina on the highway. Cross the bridge, find a place to park, and go downstream until you find enough room to fish. Use a russian river fly with some splitshot about 3 feet up (enough to bounce the bottom every 2 foot or so). You are trying to get the hook into their mouth rather than trying to feel them hit the fly.

Default Thanks

Thanks we're headed that way. please keep in the suggestions coming I have two ladies on board that love to fish and it would make their trip to catch something while in Alaska..

You should be able to nail some pinks on the shore in Valdez by now. Should be a blast!

The Klutina in Copper Center is a good tip. Then get some pinks at Valdez. They should be starting to pile up at the hatchery and Allison Point there. The road up to Paxson runs along the Gulkana, so you might find a spot along the way to hit grayling and trout. Tangle Lakes on tge Denali hwy near Paxson has campgrounds and good fishing as does tge Delta clearwater.

We just sent one daughter to VA Beach so we're planning on hitting the Denali hwy later this week for grayling.

Just like what was said...Klutina/copper center for sockeye flossing and then on to Valdez for pinks..they are in really good now. Suggest you try 3 hours before and 3 hours after high tides for best shore fishing. You can shore fish for C&R grayling at the outlet of Summit Lake, which can be easliy accessed at the salmon overlook rest area. However, No Salmon fishing there. Good Luck
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com