Thread: Delta Clearwater Report

Default Delta Clearwater Report

Hello, I just received a report from a good friend of mine that just floated the Delta Clearwater that he and his group had a bust. They apparently had lots of torrential rain and he only caught 1 grayling. I was surprised to hear this report as everything I have ever heard about this river has been nothing but good. My question to anyone out there who lives by there (Rock Skipper) or anyone who fishes there regularly (Jedi Knight Salmon Slayer), is what is your take on this report. Do you think the river is too high and muddy right now to float? Do you think my friend maybe just wasn't using the right flies? Like maybe they are only taking dry flies and he might have been just using nymphs and wet flies etc. I would like to head up there this weekend, but that was a pretty dismal report. Thanks to anyone (and rep points given) for any good advice.

hit up the denali highway, and if it was raining really hard the fish wouldnt be taking dry flies as much as they would be taking wets/leaches ect. Go on up and check it out for yourself! have some fun
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I think your friend hit on the head of the nail, lol.

The rains here have raised the rivers and fishing is'nt that good.

But (and I'm going to do something that I would'nt in my younger age, lol ) I'll say this, if you have a jet boat go past the lodge about 5 miles and you will be suprised what you will find, lol.

When the rivers hit flood stage around here the best thing is to wait it out.

The one good thing about it is after it goes down is that you can find pike in the clear streams right off the muddy part of the river.

I really think it will be bad fishing unless the sun comes out. Sorry for the bad report.

( Sunny days after a big rain are killer on the river, good hint, smiles)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I think your friend hit on the head of the nail, lol.

The rains here have raised the rivers and fishing is'nt that good.

But (and I'm going to do something that I would'nt in my younger age, lol ) I'll say this, if you have a jet boat go past the lodge about 5 miles and you will be suprised what you will find, lol.

When the rivers hit flood stage around here the best thing is to wait it out.

The one good thing about it is after it goes down is that you can find pike in the clear streams right off the muddy part of the river.

I really think it will be bad fishing unless the sun comes out. Sorry for the bad report.

( Sunny days after a big rain are killer on the river, good hint, smiles)
    Thanks again for the tip Rock Skipper. I'd give you another rep but the computer says I have to spread some around first. One question, what did you mean about pike in the river? Are you saying there are pike in the Delta Clearwater River, or were you referring to the Tanana? Oh, and I'll be bringing my 14' raft, so going up the river won't be an option for me. If you see a green 14' NRS Otter filled with a very large family, that will be me, so maybe I'll see you up there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hello, I just received a report from a good friend of mine that just floated the Delta Clearwater that he and his group had a bust. They apparently had lots of torrential rain and he only caught 1 grayling. I was surprised to hear this report as everything I have ever heard about this river has been nothing but good. My question to anyone out there who lives by there (Rock Skipper) or anyone who fishes there regularly (Jedi Knight Salmon Slayer), is what is your take on this report. Do you think the river is too high and muddy right now to float? Do you think my friend maybe just wasn't using the right flies? Like maybe they are only taking dry flies and he might have been just using nymphs and wet flies etc. I would like to head up there this weekend, but that was a pretty dismal report. Thanks to anyone (and rep points given) for any good advice.
    Well I am not a "knight" you may call me "Master" lol

just joking...I dont think they were doing it right. I just went this last Saturday for a recon and caught lots of fish.

(As stated already) Saturday had rain and overcast, so I switched to sub surface and used esl and did fine. I am after the top water action when I go there, but you have to adjust based on the conditions and elements presented. When the sun broke the fish were popping and I was able to switch to dry presentations.

I would carry an assortment of both and be ready for anything. good luck
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks Jedi. Rep coming your way.

Sorry Bush, was involved in my brothers upcoming auction that is happing sat. ( could be a good time to come down and pick up some stuff, 500+ lots . lol. ) Geart North Auction

The Pike I was talking about slip into little clearwater streams off the Tanana ( I would'nt call them creeks but they are just little feeders off the tanana. They ussaly are filled with weeds and a perfect spot for pike. I really can only think of twice that in 48 years of going up the Clearwater that I have seen pike in the river. Theirs not enough weeds for them to hide in. The Volkmar is a differant story in mid summer.

The sun was shinning today but the sky is clouding right now and looks like more rain.

Just got back from the Delta Clearwater. Had a great time. We got into some real nice fish. Thanks to Rock Skipper and Jedi Master Salmon Slayer for all the advice. I ran into JMSS up there at the Clearwater with his buddies AKnook and Bigcox. Real nice guys. JMSS loaned me a couple flies. Here are a few pics of the trip. The biggest one I caught was 19 1/2"!

Great meeting you up at the clearwater. Glad you got into some fish. That one is a HOG!

So glad you had a great experience. It was also a pleasure to meet you. Wow what an oinker!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Holy crap, nice one!

Awesome job! Even better fish! Right on dude!

Good job Bush, lol. Great pic's.