Thread: Advise on upcoming deer hunt

Default Advise on upcoming deer hunt

I am going to be deer hunting at Deadman Bay during the second week of October and was struggling with the decision of whether or not to rent a raft and motor for the trip. I am staying in a cabin. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

A raft could be a plus ANYTIME you're on Kodiak. What is the terrain around the cabin? The bucks will still be hanging around on high ground and you'll want access to the highest elevations in the area. If that's across the bay, a raft will be invaluable. If the cabin has a mountian behind it (or next to it) the need for a raft will be less.
    Do you plan on doing any duck hunting? If that even a remote possibility - take the raft. Personnaly if I was hunting from a cabin on a bay on Kodiak during duck season, I'd certainly be taking a shotgun along.

I would go with the raft if I were you,If the winterkill is as bad as I've heard it was it could raise your success bye being able to cover more ground.It would be a bummer to glass deer you couldn't walk to without a boat.Good luck to you,I'm counting down the days until I get to go chase some bucks after my bear hunt!!

We are planning on trying to do some duck hunting. That's why I thought the boat might be useful. The terrain around the cabin is steep but I believe the point about glassing deer you cant get to is a good point. Sounds like I will be looking for a place to rent a raft. Thanks

Good guy here will probably have what you need.
    http://www.kodiakkamps.com/

if your not real familair with kodiak and weather, be carefull, a good south blow into deadman and you won't be crossin' it in a raft, at least you probably shouldn't be crossin' it. and be carefull not to spend to much time in the boat, as other mentioned, mid oct your gonna be sweatin' to put deer down, they will be high, find bowls in the backs of valleys, long ridge tops anything above the grass. in mid oct grass will still be anywhere from 3-5 feet tall and deer won't show up in it. be ready to hike, if you've got good sunshine, deer love it. sometimes a day glassing and then a day walking is all you'll need.
    don't shoot more than one deer at a time, a field dressed deer in a backpack will be pushing 80-100lbs....2 deer...not good unless you've got a buddy with you.
    raft would be sweeet for ducks though. you staying with alpine cove cabins?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A raft may not be able to cross the bay, but you could go along the shoreline to look for feeding deer. It would also get you around some of the cliffs there. When I hunted there, Tom (http://www.kodiakbearhunting.com/) had a motorized aluminum boat. And I was able to land a stalk the biggest deer we harvested right next to the water. Short carry!!! We also went on a very long hike through hill, valley, low mountain and stalked, and glassed, and I had to take a long shot on what turned out to be the "best" antlered buck we took.

If you got the capability of doing water movement- if you get slightly injured.... you can still hunt. If you have to count on foot power alone... hunt is over. Unless the deer come right down to yuor cabin. Which might happen, last day of my hunt I was using the outhouse and had three deer within 150 yards of Tom's Camp.

Good luck on your hunt, and have fun.
    You might want to carry a fishing rod also, we saw silver salmon coming into the stream at the head of the bay.

Chris

Was there last year. Get a raft. Will be worth it's weight in gold.

i'd also add if you've got the option and funds to take one...take one.
    Master guide 212

Have hunted in Deadman the past 4 falls and stayed in the public use cabin. I have taken a raft every year, but only get to use it 1/3-1/2 the trip, do to weather. 12' with a 25hp. I do not advise going across the bay unless you take enough gear to spend a few nights or more on the other side. Also watch your tides if traveling in the raft to the head of the bay. Very shallow and you could end up dragging your raft over slop for over 1/4 mile or more. Great duck hunting at the head of the bay though. Weather changes very fast. Normally the big bucks will be high that time of year. Only thing that pushes them down is the snow or a hot doe. Dan with Kodiakkamps is a great guy and would be more than happy to rent you the equipment. Can give you more detailed information in a PM if you are interested.Good luck. Justin

justin have you ran into the guide that works deadman or is he not in the head of the bay?
    Master guide 212

Jake I have. Been trying to work out some goat hunts with him. He said the deer die off this year was as bad as back in 1999. So not a good forecast for this upcoming season.

Was nice having the raft on our Kodiak trip, even though the weather only allowed us to use it a few days.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

bad as '99...geez that ain't good at all. that winter they figured they lost almost 80% of the deer herd island wide...
    Master guide 212

Yeah Jake not what I wanted to hear. But I am giving it a go in Nov. anyway.

I also forgot to mention the guide is at the head of the bay on the right. Not sure how early in October he is in there. But the outfitter is just across the way on Alpine Cove and will probably be around that time. He might be willing to pick you up and drop you off for a daily fee. Very nice guy.

Rick Metzer?