Thread: Seward - own boat - where to go

Default Seward - own boat - where to go

Gents,

this year we have the first time a real boat. After suffering fishing for years close to the gull island in Homer we have now a 20 ft NR with 150 HP Honda and so on. So think to out from Seward but the question is:
    Where to go? Any special spots for Lincod, Rockfish?
    Any dangerous areas for hidden rocks?
    Do you have some coordinates?

Your support is highly appreciated

Joerg

Doesn't look like your getting too much help too fast here. Depending on what you have for Navigation equip, a good GPS with the correct Alaskan chip would show you Rocks and hazards. Depending on what you have for a sonar (fish finder) a good one would show you structure as well as fish. I don't recall any serious rocks to be aware of in all the trolling we used to do down there, but there are a couple corners, when dragging downrigger weights that you want to be awake on, other wise you'll loose your down rigger weights. There used to be some real decent bass fishing around some of the islands in Resurrection Bay, looking for them should be half the fun. The Coho fishing should be picking up about now, and being an even year there should be a couple pinks coming in as well. Good fishing!

In my experience if your targeting rockbass you pretty much need to leave Resurrection Bay to get into good fishing. As for Lingcod, there is no retention inside the bay thus you have to leave the bay. It is about 25 miles out to Pony Cove where you will see alot of boats fishing for salmon. You will have to go past Pony to get outside the bay. I have caught lings, rockbass and halibut in the outer parts of the bay but fishing for them has been much more productive on a regular basis out of the bay. Keep in mind if you go out of the bay and retain a ling you may not return to the bay to fish for salmon or anything else. All that said, I'd head out to Pony Cove, leave the bay and start fishing around the islands. There are some rocky areas out there but if your cautious you should be ok. If you find the rockbass and lings it can be hot and heavy fishing. I wouldn't stay in one place too long if your not catching fish, drift around.

Rockfish can be found in most places in close near seward, Lingcod from my understanding in order for you to be able to keep them you have to be outside the bay and cant fish for anything else when you come back into the bay if you decide to keep one. I have caught nice size lings inside the bay though. There is good fishing for everything out in the Chiswell. As far as coordinates im not sure what they are as they are marked on my gps. If you make it out to pony the silvers are starting to show and if you do some drifting in front of there you could pick up some nice yellow eye and black bass. Hope this helps

so - let's say I go out not quite to Pony and catch a boat limit of 24 silvers (4 fisherpersons) and 16 rockies and then head out of the bay past pony and get 8 ling. Am I okay because I am over my silver limit "outside" the bay?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    so - let's say I go out not quite to Pony and catch a boat limit of 24 silvers (4 fisherpersons) and 16 rockies and then head out of the bay past pony and get 8 ling. Am I okay because I am over my silver limit "outside" the bay?
    Nope. If you have a limit of six silvers, you cant go outside the bay as you would be over limit for salmon.

And if I have a ling then I can't finish my limit of silvers inside the bay either - correct?

I usually don't have enough time to do all of that anyway in one day.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    then head out of the bay past pony and get 8 ling
    i could be wrong but i believe your only allowed one ling per person outside of the bay,

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    i could be wrong but i believe your only allowed one ling per person outside of the bay,
    You're not wrong. In the North Gulf Coast waters (outside Res Bay) limit is 1 ling per person per day. The 2-ling area is to the west, generally fished out of Homer. It's considered Cook Inlet salt waters. Gore Point (west of Nuka Bay) is the point of transition.

Yep - I was thinking PWS. I have the regs in the boat and trucks and by the fireplace so that I don't get myself in trouble...good to check before going to each spot.