Thread: Help with patching a valve

Default Help with patching a valve

I was given a Selvyor Hunt and Fish canoe last year on Fathers day from my kids. (Purchased at Boonedocks in Eagle River) It is a nice little inflatable canoe... good for fishing small lakes and just messing around. I got it out today in an attempt to go do a little fishing and when I went to air it up the valve top broke off. It is not the good boston type valves but is a "double lock fast valve" basically it is like that in a air mattress. The valve top just seperated and if I could find a glue or adhesive that would work on the valve it would be EASY to repair BUT I do not know whe to use.

the boat is a PVC boat but the valve material looks different mor rubbery looking. Any ideas on what type of adhesive to use. Would that plastic epoxy stuff from Walmart work?

ALSO what are the odds of me just totally replacing the valve system with good valves like boston or NRS type valves. I know this would require some cutting but would be worth it. the new models have these type of valves. Seems that all I would need to do is buy the valve but i am unsure how the inner portion in the bladder would be afixed?

Ideas ... would love to get this working so I can have some fun this 4th of July weekend due to the fact the rest of my July is shot due to work.

thanks

I would call Brian Richardson at 250-2271. He can replace your valve-valves?? fast and at a good price.
    Goo

The down side of lower budget rafts like Selvyor is they are very hard to patch and many timers you are better off just stepping up to a good quality raft. Keep your eye on the Forum and you can find good quality used rafts for a grand or less many times.

Good luck

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    I was given a Selvyor Hunt and Fish canoe last year on Fathers day from my kids. (Purchased at Boonedocks in Eagle River) It is a nice little inflatable canoe... good for fishing small lakes and just messing around. I got it out today in an attempt to go do a little fishing and when I went to air it up the valve top broke off. It is not the good boston type valves but is a "double lock fast valve" basically it is like that in a air mattress. The valve top just seperated and if I could find a glue or adhesive that would work on the valve it would be EASY to repair BUT I do not know whe to use.

the boat is a PVC boat but the valve material looks different mor rubbery looking. Any ideas on what type of adhesive to use. Would that plastic epoxy stuff from Walmart work?

ALSO what are the odds of me just totally replacing the valve system with good valves like boston or NRS type valves. I know this would require some cutting but would be worth it. the new models have these type of valves. Seems that all I would need to do is buy the valve but i am unsure how the inner portion in the bladder would be afixed?

Ideas ... would love to get this working so I can have some fun this 4th of July weekend due to the fact the rest of my July is shot due to work.

thanks
    Thank you Goo for the compliments... see if I can lend a hand here.

Looks as if the main thing here is can the Father's day gift continue giving...

Answer is yes!

Sorry to say, if this type of valve typical of coleman/sevylor is pretty much done, no easy/quick replacement, and no the glue ideas will not stick well to the valve part. Replacing is the way to go... but not a $5 pair of boston-valves.

Sounds like so far... repair is the answer and doable - parts will not be available unless you've got one, and this is not a typical field or home work. Unfortunately... you are dealing with a couple buck integral part on a $25 bladder --- 420D skin on a $400 package

A valve like c-7 will not be cost effective, won't work well for this construction, and too much valve (read as rugged) will end up making more damage under use.

patched the valve with aquaseal and it is working fine.....but with that said I am still thinking of replacement. Brian if I read this correctly it is possible but I do not understand exactly how it is possible?????? for now the aquaseal is holding and working nicely just would be nice to have some decent valves in the boat. Overall the boat is not bad for what I use it for ...lake fishing I just like good valves.

thanks