Thread: Raft seam repair

Default Raft seam repair

So here is what happened. I was towing my West Marine raft behind the boat in PWS, I have done this sevaral times before, but for some reason this time one of the seams blew out, the one just as the bow straightens out. Anyways we look back and the raft is not tracking like it should so I do a couple of turns not knowing that it has a hole in it trying to get it back on track with no luck, so i shut down the boat and we notice that the raft is starting to sink. We pull the raft to the boat and relieze that the seam has a 5 inch rip in it, so we then struggle for about an hour to get the raft into the boat (the ripped pontoon was full of water). So now my question is how do i go about fixing or getting this seam repaired? I see that from the website of west marine that the seams are heat sealed, should this be how it is repaired? Or can i just get glue and a patch kit and do it myself? Are there any businesses out there that do these type of repairs? I just want to make sure that the repair is done right, I may need to use this raft at some point in an emergency situation (but i hope not).

I can vouch for Brian Richardson at Alaska Raft Connection. He has done several solid repairs on my raft, and will not hesitate to sell you the supplies and give you some advice on doing it yourself if you want to go that route. He is a very knowledgable and friendly guy and has a lot of great repair info on his website too.

My only question is how old is your West Marine boat. If i am not mistaken they do have a manufactures warranty of 5 years. If in fact the seem gave way and it is less the 5 years old from date of purchase you might not have to deal with it at all.

Bluemoose, good call i will have to check with west marine tomorrow, I am a second owner of the raft however hopefully the serial number will work for knowing when the raft was purchased if not it looks like the info cwm907 gaves will be my second option. Thanks for the info

If Brian is busy check with Mark at AR&K or Tracy at Marita Ski. Either one can also more than likley point you in a great direction. That is if Brian is busy. Is that time of year you know.

Best wishes

RMM
    BMR

Wink

Thank you cwm907!

Just worked on a a few W-Marine sportboats... Couple easy/straightforward fixes (glues or welds), while others not economical sound decisions to fix.

Regarding second ownership plus probable year/model - warranty is not likely gonna happen or play part in today's decision making on this boat.

Also a major seam going out is not a good sign in terms of others being a potential issue in the near future. Several of these models do not have tow-rings so folks are towing them tied off to the front handle. Even if they do, many people do not tow from the tow-rings.

Most every boat is fixable, but at what point in many of today's white-page brands and models do you toss it out to go new.