Thread: Organizing and Outdoor Garage

Default Organizing and Outdoor Garage

I have an opportunity to organize all my hunting and fishing and outdoor gear in my new garage...
    So I'm looking for ideas for storing tackle, gear, etc...
    Would be very interested in pictures of people's garages and how they rigged good organizational systems.
    Post your best!

I don't have a lot of tools to make custom stuff furniture, really just looking for good set ups to give me ideas and hopefully see the floor of the garage..

Sorry, and not to hi-jack, but what's with the extra large avatar? Did you do something special or did it just come out that way?

Oh and you may want to have at least one long type cabinet just for hanging sleeping bags...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had nothing to do with the largeness of my avatar.....

shop table made from solid core door, long side is hinged to wall with collapsable legs for the outside, all will fold flat against the wall. Waders and sleepingbags (lighter items) can use a pulley up to the ridge/rafters. Just a couple thoughts...

Shelves. Then - put in some more shelves. Once completed - add in some more shelves.
    I built some that were about 2' or so deep, at the top, but low enough that I could totes and such on them. Then at about eye level, I built some that were about 12-18" deep, for smaller stuff. I ran 2 sets all the way around the garage.

As stated - some sort of pulley system for bags and tents is a good idea too, along w/ the fold down door.

Good luck

I went the expensive route in my shop and purchased about $1200 in 8' tall 30" deep industrial shelving components from lowes. I they are 8' sections linked together. I set one 8' section up with a low shelf then used 3/4" plywood to make a bench top at about 35" high then a high shelf above that. I hung bench lights from the high shelf which works like a champ. The stuff is not cheap but will last forever. I used a couple left over 10' 2x6 boards to set lengthwise across the top of one section of shelving so that it formed a cradle of sorts that I could roll seasonal tires into for storage up by the roof. It holds one spare trailer tire and a full set for both my wife and my vehicles way up and out of the way.

In my regular garage I have cheap plastic shelving and it looks like cheap plastic shelving... Only thing is that cheap plastic shelving isnt really THAT cheap! I did mount Berkley rod holders flush to the ceiling of my garage which I recommend. Makes it pretty nice to have all your rods right there easy to find and out of harms way. I also put in eye bolts and hung carbiners from them for hanging tents and sleeping bags after trips.

One fact of life is that a garage will always be a work in progress. I am still regularly buying storage totes and reorganizing things. I now have "storage totes" that are decent quality for use in the garage then have the more expensive rough totes that are for traveling.

check out the sept issue of handyman magazine, just look at the cover for a great hanger system thats easy to make.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    check out the sept issue of handyman magazine, just look at the cover for a great hanger system thats easy to make.
    Thanks for the tip!! There are some really great ideas on that website. I will probably use several of them next summer.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...t/Step-By-Step

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...garage-storage

WhiskeyJack

To organize my stuff I use those plastic gear racks that stack on top of each other. They are easy to move around as I reorganize my things.

I got a little excentric this fall and purchased a bunch of different size totes that all fit together. I separtated all of my gear based on what type it is. I started pulling out like items and putting them in the smallest totes untill it got full then I would transfer those items to the next larger tote untill I ran out of items to put in the tote. I then started over with a new type and the small tote again and repeated the process. All done now, I have a small tote full of "water stuff" like filters, drops, bladders etc. I have one full of electronics. Another medium tote with stoves and cylinders. One large one for rain gear, another small one for meds and first aid or foot care. One for gear treatments and repair stuff. Another for field cooking including olive oil and spices and some camp spons and such. I big tote for all my back packs. Another medium tote for predator hunting stuff.... I also put all of my sleeping bags in large totes so that they are not compressed at all. That is all arranged on a big shelf but I also have a cabinet with a bunch of small totes in it that hold clothing items separated into socks, base layers, pants, shirts etc. At this point between the gun safe, cabinet and the totes I can lay them all out and start at one end and work through all of the totes to the other end and be fully ready for any hunt in any season. After years of utter disorganization and always being paranoid that I was leaving behind something important I love this new system!!

garage 005.jpg Just dried in my new garage, blank canvas for man cave, and gear/toy storage

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i started cleaning the garage and organizing my gear and tools... got rid of some stuff too.. now she makes sure ALLLLL of MY stuff is out in the garage..

Carfull what you get rid of.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Blackhawkranch, some may say your new garage is already too small.

Have plenty of handy receptacles, quads are nice in the power tool area and I'd have them on 20 amp circuits. Insulate well, paint interior a light color and add plenty of overhead lights. A beefy beam for hanging meat and a canvas tarp for a partition (hoist it to the rafters when not in use).

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkranch View Post
    garage 005.jpg Just dried in my new garage, blank canvas for man cave, and gear/toy storage
    That is a great feeling!! Getting it all put together is even better. What size did you go? I went 30x45 and so far I fit a 15x15 reloading room in one corner and still have space for my crew cab long bed F250, 17'6" boat on trailer plus the lawn tractor and all our ATV's/Sleds.

We were thinking alike Lujon, mine is 40X40 w/14' walls, scissor trusses. Im framing a 12X16 room in the back with a 20X12 loft over the room. I've spent the last 25 years storing my stuff in the barn, under my bed, totes here and there. I bought a a rock chucker kit in the late 80's and hve never had a place to set it up. the dining room table turns into a flytying and shotgun reloading bench which the wife isn't thrilled with. It will be nice to have it all a little more organized. Those familyhandyman.com DIY shelfs and workbenches look like the ticket and I have my reloading/tying bench's figured out. Just takes time and $$$. Although bigger is always better, I only plan on pulling the trucks, tractor in to work on them and maybe park the 21' scott canoe in the winter but should be plenty of room.