View Poll Results: Reds....Dip net, Rod & Reel, or Both...???

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dip net only

4 6.67%
  • Rod and Reel only

26 43.33%
  • Like to do both

30 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds....Dip Net, Rod & Reel, or Both...???

Default Reds....Dip Net, Rod & Reel, or Both...???

Thought I'd make this a poll as I've been wondering what the ratio is between the number of people that only get their reds by dip netting, by fishing for them with rod and reel, or possibly like to do both...???

Personally I have dip netted before, but really don't care for it. I enjoy fishing for them far more. I guess if I didn't catch enough I may need to dip net, but we seem to always get enough fish for the winter.

How bout' the rest of you...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Rod and Reel

7wt... all the way

If I lived on the Peninsula, I don't think I'd even own a dipnet. I far prefer using my fly rod, but at times the dipnet sure is an efficient way to fill the freezer.

7wt fly rod in my drifter with my wife....
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I enjoy both too. Personally fighting a red out of the current is more fun than waiting for that bumping about in my net. Red angling success is not 100% for me so those more fun trips cost alot more than getting a whole mess of them dipping in one go.

Dip netting is too much work!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I prefer to catch mine on rod and reel. A lot more fun. I dipnetted one day last year and it was a total shet show. Wasn't for me at all. I don't put it down though. It is beneficial for those with large families that consume a lot fish or those that don't have a lot of time to get out on the river with the ol' 9wt.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Dip netting is too much work!
    Last time I dip netted reds we caught a family limit of 165 reds. I was the only one who could fillet a fish without butchering it.....Needless to say I processed all 165 fish. NEVER AGAIN. Like bigcox said...way too much work. lol

Thumbs up Dip-nets . . by far . .

I've done both in years past but do neither any longer. My take is that flossing reds is not really fishing, and reds taken in salt water are much better eating than a red caught upstream . . much, much better eating.

To each his own . . .

I do both. I like to rod and reel my fish but with work schedules and other stuff it is much easier to feed the family via dipnet.
    If I want to fill the canner up rather than going 2 or 3 days in a row with the rod it is easier to just grab the dipnet and boat for the day and just get it done.Plus we usually not just filling our own freezer. I often go with family and friends to get them some fish as well.
    I also don't have to worry if the run is low the day I have chosen to fish or if the commercial nets are out as I can usually get all I need via dipnet.
    Although I will add I do not use a full dipnet limit so we ALWAYS set our limit in advance and only dip what we think we will need.
    Last year it was ~20 and I believe we came in with 21 reds which was close enough. We could have easily caught a lot more but stopped when we reached our predetermined limit.
    In my family we eat more Halibut than Salmon. And with all the other fish/game thrown in we just can't use a full dipnet limit in addition to our rod and reel fish.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I enjoy both. Last time we went dipnetting we boated 6 reds and called it a victory. I'm not going dipnetting to slay as many reds as possible. I just want to have a little fun and get a few fish in the freezer.

Dipping for me.

We put up salmon as part of our years supply of food. Catching them one at a time with a daily limit is too slow, (plus I'm not very good at it). I do like rod & reel for trout and grayling, (and I'm better at that).

Many years ago i went dipping with a friend. This didn't really impress me. Had more fun with rod and reel. THEN, the grandkids started coming along. Talk about a "CHINESE FIRE DRILL " gut wrenching laughs to watch those kids chase the dipnetted red swimming inside the boat, kids hitting the deck with the woodie about 4" behind everytime.

I will quote a Delta Junction Gas Station Manager in 1987, staring at our dipnets on the way to Chitna:

" I would rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother who is a dipnetter"

We paid for the gas and headed to O'Brien Creek and caught about 40 fish.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I've only dipnetted for Reds and only take what the family will use in a year. (about 20~30) that combined with the silvers I catch with rod and reel is typically enough. I'd love to learn to do it with rod and reel but the learning curve has been prohibitive to make it happen. (seem to have a family medical issue each spring that precluded me being able to spend any amount of time out on the pinnesula) I might get 1 ~2 day trips to the kenai a summer, so I haven't had the days to learn the ways of flipping to reds.

with the boys getting older the hope was this summer would finally be the opportunity to start learning, (got a fly rod and everything) but my wife broke her ankle last week which means all my vacation time is now scheduled to taking care of her.

net result it's not going to happen this summer either...

I'll be lucky to get even a single day dippnet trip this year.

if the silvers come in as poorly as the kings I'll be buying all my fish this winter.

I hate dipnetting, and most of the time I don't really care for catching reds in the kenai with a rod either, most times it's just too dang crowded for me. If I do go red fishing, I have a spot I take my 4wheeler down to around 11pm and get a few reds and call it good for the year. I never even went last year..........
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm really a cheap BXXXXXrd so that is why I dipnet. Plus the fact I'm always working so the time is a factor. Give me my fish and let me outta here!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Here's my take on the whole dipnet/rod and reel thing. IMO it is a no brainer. It is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Of course catching them on a rod and reel is more fun than to use a dipnet. That is not to say that it is not enjoyable with a dipnet, but really not the same thing. My personal preference is to use a 6 wt fly rod. By far that is the most fun. But the purpose of dipnetting is primarily for subsistence and not for recreation. Dipnetting is a means to an end. It is to fill your freezer full of fish. Let's face it, you are not allowed to bring home 25 fish (plus 10 fish for each additional family member) when you are using a rod and reel. Most places only allow 3 per day/3 in possession when using a rod and a reel. Unless there is an EO like last year that allows 6 per day/6 in possession like they did last year on the Kenai. By comparison, if I am hunting primarily for recreation, I like to use my bow over my gun. That is personally more enjoyable to me than to use a rifle. But if I am hunting to fill the freezer full of meat for the family, then I get serious and bring the gun along and leave the bow behind or back in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That is not to say that it is not enjoyable with a dipnet, but really not the same thing.
    See....that's where I beg to differ. I really don't like dipping at all. In fact 2 years ago I got invited to go to a coworker's place on the Kenai to fish reds. When we got there I quickly noticed the gear these guys were using....ie, 50# test and heavy bait casting rods. When my friend hooked a fish, there was absolutely no playing the fish. It was pretty much yank it to the net with the fish going totally nuts, splashing everybody within arms distance.
    Needless to say my son and I felt pretty out of place with our 8-9wt fly rods. My buddy made the comment that we shouldn't be using such light gear "for this". In which I replied...."If I wanted to fish like you I may as well just go dip netting."

We caught our fish, plenty of them. But I haven't asked to go back, and he hasn't invited me either......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast