Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Homer Fish Processor?

Default Which Homer Fish Processor?

I know there are two main fish processors in Homer and I'm looking for a recommendation for one or the other or are they about the same?

Thanks in Advance

I use both coal point and homer fish processing, they both offer good service.

Just used Coal Point for the first time this last weekend; they were at the boat ramp in about three minutes from when we called them. They were really friendly as well. They will keep your fish for up to seven days in their freezer. I haven't used the other guys, so I can't speak to that.

Yeah, I use Coal Point exclusively for all of my clients, and even when I bring in my own fish, because, as cwm907 says, they are fast. You just call them on VHF 69 and they are down to your boat in just a few minutes. Then they do an excellent job vac packing and freezing. Very friendly people and super service.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Mutt is spot on. Coal point does a great job and they are really nice people to work with.

Mutt is spot on! Coal point does a really good job and they are great people to work with!

I choose the other, Homer fish processing. They offer great service as well. I DO NOT go to Coal Point for a certain reason that I will not discuss on here, but it's not because of bad service or a bad product.

I do not use coal point either, and will mention it on this thread because choice is a personal decision that should be made by informed people.

My wife, myself, and our Lab love to hunt ducks out of Homer and Coal point personnel repeatedly attempt to slow or shut down duck hunting in Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I do not use coal point either, and will mention it on this thread because choice is a personal decision that should be made by informed people.

My wife, myself, and our Lab love to hunt ducks out of Homer and Coal point personnel repeatedly attempt to slow or shut down duck hunting in Homer.
    Thank you. I just didn't know how it would be received on this forum with debates from the waterfowl board.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    I choose the other, Homer fish processing. They offer great service as well. I DO NOT go to Coal Point for a certain reason that I will not discuss on here, but it's not because of bad service or a bad product.
    I use Coal Point because they have excellent service and excellent product. What their political views are, conservation views are or anything else along those lines is not a criteria that I personally use when I decide who I purchase a service from, or even who I am friends with. Some of my best friends actually like Sarah Palin.

big deal...

just don't take your sea ducks in for processing. (you do eat them, right?)
    i spend a lot of money at businesses owned by folks who do not share my political/conservation values, but if they deliver a quality product or do good work i will patronize and recommend them.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

big deal...

just don't take your sea ducks in for processing. (you do eat them, right?)
    i spend a lot of money at businesses owned by folks who do not share my political/conservation values, but if they deliver a quality product or do good work i will patronize and recommend them.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I use Coal Point because they have excellent service and excellent product. What their political views are, conservation views are or anything else along those lines is not a criteria that I personally use when I decide who I purchase a service from, or even who I am friends with. Some of my best friends actually like Sarah Palin.
    True, but I like the product that comes from Homer Fish Processing just as well and typically has a LOT shorter lines because not many people know they are there...so there are more than just political views. Going to Homer Fish also reminds me to go around the corner and refill the growlers at the Brewery.

Homerdave - I also support the NRA over PETA...my choice, may others always have theirs in our great Country. I'll wipe up my tears now!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    True, but I like the product that comes from Homer Fish Processing just as well and typically has a LOT shorter lines because not many people know they are there...so there are more than just political views. Going to Homer Fish also reminds me to go around the corner and refill the growlers at the Brewery.
    What line!? I call them on my VHF when I've finished filleting my client's fish and a runner is there sometimes in about 3 minutes. And then my clients have a short walk (I'm one ramp down from Coal Pt.) up to the office to seal the deal. At Homer Fish Processing they have to get in their vehicle and drive there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    At Homer Fish Processing they have to get in their vehicle and drive there.

But don't they have to pass right by it when leaving the spit?
    Not really a big issue if you ask me.

O ya - I will definately have to take some goldeneyes in to them for processing........that is an awesome idea! I guess that I will use them after all. and yes, I do eat my sea ducks. I like to shoot them more than eat them, but they jerky up just fine (good sausage too).

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    But don't they have to pass right by it when leaving the spit?
    Not really a big issue if you ask me.
    OK. If you want to press the issue, here's why a 3 minute walk beats having to drive to the place.

Tomorrow for me is a classic example. My clients are staying at Land's End and don't have transportation. So I call Coal Pt., a guy comes to my boat 3 to 5 minutes later, picks up the fish and then my clients follow him up on foot to tell Coal Pt. how they want their fish processed and where to ship it. Then they walk back to Land's End.

Also, I tend to "push the envelope" on getting in to port after a day of fishing. I can usually tell exactly how long it will take for me to fillet my clients fish and I just plan back from that. Coal Pt. closes at 8 like Homer Fish, and if I get back in by 7:30 I can call Coal Pt. at 7:57 and have them come and get the fish and then my clients only have to walk up behind the fish pickerupper guy and it's a done deal. No hopping in their car to drive all the way off the Spit.

Also a lot of my clients want to eat dinner at one of the fine establishments in the "business district" on the Spit. They can walk to Coal Pt., cross the street and be eating dinner. It just happened to me the other day and it's fairly common. My clients two day ago had reservations at Capt. Pattie's at 8, so they were able to NOT have to drive somewhere to take care of their catch.

So you see, it IS indeed a big issue for me and my clients. I try to provide the best service for them by giving them the extra time to fish (how many captains do you know that will stay out that late?) and less things to do when they get back in. Coal Pt. makes that possible.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Can you imagine if we all did what you do Homerdave? It would be a world where people drive gas guzzling vehicles and boats and fill them with petroleum that comes from countries filled with people who not only don't share our views, but don't even like us!
    (gasp)

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question in such detail. I only wish I had chartered with you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast