Thread: Raider boats

Default Raider boats

So this week I have been looking at boats in the Valdez marina. Im about ayear or so out from looking to buy something in the 27-30' range and I thought I had settles on a Hewes Pacific Explorer, however, after seeing some of the 28' Raiders in the marina down here I am beginning to second guess myself. I did a bit of research online but I cant find anyting newer than a 2008. Anyone have any first hand knowlege? Thanks.

Looks like they make some nice boats but their website is lousy when it comes to showing layout and photo's of the different models

There are a couple guys on here that own them. No major complaints. A hewescraft is the staple of alsaka boats...sorta the pickup truck of boats. Nothing fancy or superior in any way but functional and capable. From what Ive heard Raider boats are about the same but lack a few finishing details and even more basic. Hopefully the raider guys will post up and share their experiences. Certainly not a bad boat...just a simple utilitarian rig.

Two years ago I looked at Raider pretty hard, called the manufacturer a few times as well as various dealer on the west coast, I finally decided on Kingfisher for various reasons. Good hunting.

FWIW, the builder of Raider used to build Hewescrafts. Hence the similarities. I believe that the two shops are even with in spitting distance. The 28 footer with the 9.5' beam would be a great fishing platform.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've got a 2006 28' Raider and have been happy with it so far. This is my first boat and my first season however so I don't have anything to compare it to. I do believe it is very similar to the Hewescrafts. Definitely nicer boats out there but so far, I don't have any major complaints. It sleeps my family of 4 and my 2 labs just fine. Mine is very basic, no dinette, it has two bench seats in the cabin which make in to a bed. Wasn't sure how I would like not having a dinette, but actually think I prefer it. We take a folding table to use when we anchor. Not having the dinette makes for a lot of room inside. I think the quality is lacking a bit in some areas compared to other boats, but it handles the water well and I have been impressed with it so far.

How much did you spend in buying your boat? Did you have a Boat Insurance Fort Lauderdale to help you in case of emergency? Boating insurance is very important for us because it will help us when we need it.

Golfnut, do you remember how much they were running for back in 08? Ive tried to contact the comapnay several times but I havent gotten a response yet.
    I really like the idea of having a little more room than the Hewes Ocean Pacific, Im pretty sure that if I go this way it will be for a 30' which also makes it a foot or so wider.

Ronster-
    I don't know what they were going for new back in 08. Mine is a 2006 but I just bought it last year. Sorry, not much help

Raider boat was made from a guy who left Hewes Craft from what Dewey's told me. I have friends with them and not complaints dfrom them
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I can't speak to the big ones, but I have a 2284 Sea Raider and it's a fantastic boat that handles more water than my nerves can. Roomier than comparable modesl (Hewes Ocean Pro). And, much less expensive for what I consider to be more important....high sides and bow, slightly wider cabin, full width extended transom. Nothing wrong with them at all. Not as big of a deal in AK as Hewes, but from what I gather, they are also a smaller company.

I got a quote today for the 30' and it runs right around the same price as the Wolly 29. It does have a lot nicer finish than the Wolly IMHO, the inside is really nice. Twin 250s on those boats look huge. Power will be nice but the wallet will be a lot lighter...

I looked long and hard at a 28' Raider with twin 250 Suzuki's out of Redwood Marine in CA before I bought my Hewescraft. What I really liked was that the ET is a direct extension of the hull and not just welded on like any Hewes over 22'. It was 2 years old but still new as it never sold prior and they were asking 99 G for it. I think their new price when they first got it was 110G. I was going to get it, but shipping to Alaska was close to 10G and that for me was a show stopper. Deweys gave me a price I couldn't say no too at the end of the season plus all the gear they throw into the deal. They are a nice boat, just a little more basic finish than a Hewescraft, not that a hewes is fancy by any means.

A buddy of mine runs his 26' Raider out of Valdez all the time; awesome boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    A buddy of mine runs his 26' Raider out of Valdez all the time; awesome boat.
    They seem to be a pretty popular boat there. There was a 26'. 2x28', and a 30' parked the marina last weekend. I gotta admit, the more that I look at them the better they are starting to look. I was origionally thinking the Hewes 260 was the way to Raider was awesome. Three suspension seats up front, two on the passenger side, and the fishing cockpit was huge.

Not to change your thinking but i have a 26' PC I looked at the 28' Duckworth last summer down at Dewey's. More fishing deck, better planning on storage, more room in the cabin and just alround better layout. I have looked but have not seen anythiing used yet in Duckworth, If you are looking for used or new.
    Its always fun looking for a new boat and planning i think.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Yeah, I look at the Duckworth on Deweys lot this summer too. The only problem with that boat is the size of the table and its inability to make into a bed. I will be using the boat on overnighters with 1 or 2 kids and need the additional bed space so the Duckworth just wont work for me. Other than that, it was a really nice boat.

Default re

Here is the deal with raider boats. The guy that owned Hughescraft wanted to get out of the business. He gave Hewescraft to one son, and he started Raider boats and gave it to his other son. Both boats have the exact same hull design much like GMC and Chevy. The son that runs raider boats has taken the approach to cut the price to sell more boats. The fit and finish is lacking just a bit in areas. But they basic hull design is sound, and they are quite reasonability priced.
    My fried has the 08 26Ft and I was looking at the 28ft last winter. However the dealers in the northwest have been dropping raider boat from their line left and right. It is really hard to find someone that even carries raider boats any more. I have tried several times to find out why, and cannot seem to get a straight answer. I was told by the dealers in Washington that they think that Raider is going bankrupt, that a bit of shame if itís true.
    After a lot of looking I fell in love with the new line of Duckworth Offshore that have just started a couple years ago.

Thanks aktnt for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense with the amount (or lack thereof) information I am getting back from them. I did find one shop in Spokane that is willing to work with me and they gave me a good bit of info. Ive also tried to contact the owner of the 30' Raider in Seward. Sure would like to get the whole story before plunging into a big investment like this.