Thread: Help with blackberries.

Question Help with blackberries.

There are an apocalyptic amount of blackberries in the woods this year and I would like to use them but do not like the sour/bitter taste. Thought about making jam with ALOT of sugar in it... Thoughts? Thanks!

Not sure but don't think that you are dealing with Blackberries. Are they like a raspberry only black, are they made up of many small drupelets with a seed in each ?

blueberries, maybe?

you sure you aren't finding black bear berries, (I believe their called Alpine berries)? They are might sharp to the taste. They do add a certain cranberry like flavor to game meat.

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bearberry

Chris

Attachment 61186

Blackberries, aka crowberries (not the same as L-48 blackberries) are drier, not nearly as sweet, and seem to have a much higher fiber content than blueberries. Personally, I haven't found any recipe in which to use them exclusively, but they're good to use as a filler to stretch your valuable blueberry supply. I'll add them to the mix when making jam, pie, etc. Too high a ratio tho will dilute the flavor too much to satisfy my sweet tooth. They're also good for pounding with jerked meat to make pemmican...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Attachment 61186

Blackberries, aka crowberries (not the same as L-48 blackberries) are drier, not nearly as sweet, and seem to have a much higher fiber content than blueberries. Personally, I haven't found any recipe in which to use them exclusively, but they're good to use as a filler to stretch your valuable blueberry supply. I'll add them to the mix when making jam, pie, etc. Too high a ratio tho will dilute the flavor too much to satisfy my sweet tooth. They're also good for pounding with jerked meat to make pemmican...
    IMHO a blueberry/blackberry (crowberry) mix makes excellent jams. Perhaps this will be the year we can get enough of the mix to try a couple gallons of home made wine.