Thread: Flyable boat

Default Flyable boat

Does anyone know of a Metzeler-type inflatable in production? 14' (+), capable of 15HP, with a transom narrow enough to get in a Cub without any major acrobatics are the criteria.

I always imagined that with a SOAR canoe, a hunk of marine plywood, and some glue you could make an almost-metzeler, but it's an expensive experiment.

Ideas?

FBKShunter

Default Jet Ranger

By Jim King's Alaska series boats. Great boat. Uses a 20 merc jet.

Default PM

I send you a PM that says the same thing as FBKShunter. I have heard that the jet ranger was designed very similar to the Metzeler raft by someone who owns one. You are in luck also there is a 20hp Merc Jet in the classifieds right now. But you better act quickly, the motor is no longer made in a 2 stroke.

FBKShunter

Default 20 merc jet

Is still sold by Reed's snowmachine and marine in fairbanks, saw one there the other day.

Default wow

That is interesting, I wonder if they still do that in the jet only. I thought they quit making the 25hp powerhead in a 2 stroke. I went with a 25 hp motor with a prop, and then bought the jet foot seperately, that could be the difference?

Default Jet Ranger

The guys over at the Farm in Port Allsworth got 2 of these jet rangers last year. they love them, as they do the same thing as the old metz, but are tougher. One thing though, if you don't inflate them tight enough, they don't plane out properly. they gotta be tight.. They are tough as nails.

Default Power Traveler

You might have a look at the new Power Traveler by AIRE. Ten-year, no fault warranty and available at Alaska Raft and Kayak.

I have all the stats on it somewhere, but this is one killer boat for Alaska. Talk to Tracey Harmon at Raft and Kayak about it! It was originally tested with a 25-horse outboard, and ran like a scalded ape. I'll attach a photo of the prototype for you. The newer ones are a little different.

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay