Thread: Alaska Pilots, Is there such a place?

Default Alaska Pilots, Is there such a place?

Hello All,

I know you guys arent travel agents by any means but I have a sort of special situation that maybe only this group would be able to remedy. Myself, Im not a pilot but had a couple hundred hours in the right seat with my father. That was 20 years ago. Now, I have a wife and 11 year old son of my own. My problem is I need to quit smoking. I quit drinking 15 years ago and thought I would quick the smoking sometime soon thereafter. It never happened.

I thought a great aid to putting down the smokes would be to spend 4 weeks with the family somewhere up in the bush in Alaska, isolated together, to dry out so to speak. Id bring one pack and those pills to help the withdrawals. We could do a lot of fishing, walking, cooking, maybe shooting, swimming, etc. to enjoy ourselves and pass the time.

The other part of the situation is that I need to stay in touch with my office via internet and telephone. I know. My office will be even more strained because my wife also works there and shell be along.

So, Im looking for a waterfront cabin for 3, on the water, physically isolated, with no stores, but I can have good communications. Really, it would be a dream vacation home for me but it would only be needed for the four weeks this summer. Wed probably need to be flown in and out and definitely get some supplies every so often.

I know its overkill but I think I need every advantage I can get. It may not seem like it but this is story has some shame involved. If you have any ideas of a place we could go Im gratefully all ears.

Charles

I was once stuck in a very remote location with a Lt Col who ran out of cigarettes.
    It was somewhat like The Shining....
    I seriously thought about putting him down...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Public use cabins throughout Alaska are available from the US Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, Alaska State Parks, and the National Wildlife Refuge. These cabins are located throughout Alaska on trails, lakes, streams, ocean shorelines and in alpine areas. They are managed by their respective public agencies, each with its own rental guidelines. Do a few google searches for specific info.

Most cabin accomodations include a heating stove, bunks/sleeping platforms, table and chairs, and an outhouse. Many of the lakeside cabins also include row boats. You must provide your own food, cook stove and cooking utensils, water, and bedding.

Access to cabins is by plane, boat, trail or a combination of these. You'd have to arrange your own transportation to and from a cabin. From the managing agency you can get a list of operators authorized to provide transportation.

Alaska weather can affect your trip at any time of year, especially along coastal areas. Plan accordingly in regards to extra food, provisions and pick-up plans. For any travel or stay in Alaska's backcountry, you are responsible for your own safety, so be prepared with survival skills and proper equipment.

As for internet access, I don't know which if any public use cabins are far enough away from tobacco availability, but close enough to wireless availability to satisfy your needs. You might have to rent a satellite phone for your trip. As for quitting smoking, have you considered hypnosis? Wouldn't be as much fun, but would be a helluva lot less expensive. The other consideration is that it might be really tough to reserve any public use cabin for 4 successive weeks.

I think the trip sounds like a great idea. But as a method for quitting smoking...I'm not so sure. I wish you the best on that front regardless of how you approach it.

Public use cabins are going to be hard to find for the length of time you want. Anywhere you go you will likely need a satellite phone arrangement for internet access if it is out of range of a store. Can't think of anywhere that would really meet your requirements particularly well. Winter lodge caretaker more likely than any summertime options that come to mind...(but then it really could turn out like the shining...).
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I think if I were you......I would go a few days, maybe a week, without the cigs just to see how you do, before putting your family in that position for 4 weeks. Out in the bush of AK would not be a good time to find out you're gonna go nuts without your cigs.

I don't believe you can rent the PU cabins for that long of a stretch, but I don't know for sure. You may have better luck calling a few real estate agents to see what they say, or possibly just run an ad on Craigslist.

Good luck on quitting those nasty things....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There is a place called cross wind lake about 50 miles out of lake louise, you would have to know someone with a cabin out there, its really nice. For internet you could get satalite internet so that you can just log on to email out what ever you need to and then get off. As far as streaming that might be expensive. The alaska list idea is good, see if you can find the owners of thoes cabins that would be willing to rent them out, 4 weeks in the summer might be a tough sell as thats why people build them is for the summer and maybe some snowmachine trips in the winter.

Bring a box of MRE's or 2 boxes and that should cover you for emergencys.

Its taking me a life time to be able to do all these things up here in Alaska, its EXPENSIVE to have your own cabin and plane to fly into it.

When you quit smoking you could probably buy a super cub lol.

For internet availablity etc, your looking at staying in a lodge type setting. One of my favorites is http://alaskafishcreeklodge.com/

I spend alot of time out there and you just cant beat the hospitality!

It really doesn't matter where you stay, you will find smokes from somewhere if you want. It's really hard to find someplace alone and near imposible with all the city stuff you are looking for. You would be better off in Anchorage w/o any money, in the bush people would share cig.'s with you in Los Anchorage there not so friendly. If you paid for lodgeing and meals ahead of time and left your money and credit card home, to include your familys might work! good luck

Sounds like a really bad idea if the goal is to quit smoking. I think you would end up getting a divorce after going crazy and irritating the family to the point they won't ever want to be around you.

What is the real point of the trip? Quitting smoking? The monetary cost of smoking? Your health? A dream vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I was once stuck in a very remote location with a Lt Col who ran out of cigarettes.
    It was somewhat like The Shining....
    I seriously thought about putting him down...
    FP you are a riot Ha!.

Ever thght abt standup?

RR

Quote Originally Posted by CAK View Post
    Hello All,

I know you guys arent travel agents by any means but I have a sort of special situation that maybe only this group would be able to remedy. Myself, Im not a pilot but had a couple hundred hours in the right seat with my father. That was 20 years ago. Now, I have a wife and 11 year old son of my own. My problem is I need to quit smoking. I quit drinking 15 years ago and thought I would quick the smoking sometime soon thereafter. It never happened.

I thought a great aid to putting down the smokes would be to spend 4 weeks with the family somewhere up in the bush in Alaska, isolated together, to dry out so to speak. Id bring one pack and those pills to help the withdrawals. We could do a lot of fishing, walking, cooking, maybe shooting, swimming, etc. to enjoy ourselves and pass the time.

The other part of the situation is that I need to stay in touch with my office via internet and telephone. I know. My office will be even more strained because my wife also works there and shell be along.

So, Im looking for a waterfront cabin for 3, on the water, physically isolated, with no stores, but I can have good communications. Really, it would be a dream vacation home for me but it would only be needed for the four weeks this summer. Wed probably need to be flown in and out and definitely get some supplies every so often.

I know its overkill but I think I need every advantage I can get. It may not seem like it but this is story has some shame involved. If you have any ideas of a place we could go Im gratefully all ears.

Charles
    PM me if you're still looking for such a place..

I bet your family would love you more if you went to jail for a month instead of you taking them to an isolated prison with a mad man on there hands. Withdrawl from smoking sucks, dealing with a guy withdrawing is worse

I fought the quit smoking battle for over 30 years.

Then I found out how to quit smoking from a book...The Easy Way, by Allen Carr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Ea...s=the+easy+way

Never wanted to smoke again. Still don;t want to smoke...
    Herb

I quit smoking in 1975 ....

Always said ... "it is easy to quit smoking ... I did it a thousand times"

Was a medic working in Elmendorf (JBER) in early 1975, took a few valium (not true) met a "radical feminist chick" that loved sex at U of A. We moved in together and went though a hard core quit the smokes thing.

It worked.

Family needs to come in with some real "TOUGH LOVE" and get you thgrough this deal.

Worked for me......... :~)