Thread: Looking for some advice.

Default Looking for some advice.

My wife and I are thinking about doing an Alaskan adventure. We would like to rent a semi-remote cabin (electricity) and spend about 6 months (April to October) sightseeing, fishing, hiking, canoeing, and for me try to do a DIY small game and moose hunt. We are open to all of Alaska but have seen some "dry cabins" advertised in and near Fairbanks. Our hope is to get some local input through this forum.

Please reply.

You might want to consider renting a motor home, that way you can roam and see a lot more.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    You might want to consider renting a motor home, that way you can roam and see a lot more.
    Thanks for the reply.

Renting a motorhome or travel trailer might be something we would do will there but still like the cabin idea. Any more tips?

There's many many dry cabins around Fairbanks so finding one shouldn't be a problem. You may need to be more specific on what information your looking for.

If you're successful at the moose hunt you'll have 300-400 lbs of meat to transport when you leave in October.

There's a load of info if you browse thru the other forums on this site.

Your plan sounds very doable and a load of fun!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    There's many many dry cabins around Fairbanks so finding one shouldn't be a problem. You may need to be more specific on what information your looking for.

If you're successful at the moose hunt you'll have 300-400 lbs of meat to transport when you leave in October.

There's a load of info if you browse thru the other forums on this site.

Your plan sounds very doable and a load of fun!
    Thanks. That's good news. I'll keep browsing.

We plan to come for the 1st of May and stay until the end of September or October. We want to sightsee, canoe, hike, fish, ATV ride, and most outdoor type things. If I hunt and am sucessful, I would keep a small amount of meat and donate or give the rest away. This is more of a big adventure.

Things I would like to know:

Should I bring my ATV or buy a used one and sell when I leave?
    How is the small game hunting, fishing, and moose hunting?

Dry cabin in Fairbanks primarily means a house without running water. Typically it is not a cabin in the woods from which you can Rome around and hunt from. Your neighbors 400 feet away might not like all that shooting.

Moose hunting for a non res around fairbanks is tough if you did not win a draw tag from last December. Since there are 20,000 residents to compete with F&G wants non res to hit the sticks and not road hunt near town.

Plenty of small game hunting, but might not be doable near the cabin unless with a bow.

You need to read the hunt regs and plan a location base on the various restrictions of the fbx management area.