Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knot Working

Default Knot Working

I have a basic question about knots and braided line. I have been fishing my whole life, and while I know several fishing knots, I find the clinch or improved clinch knot has generally worked best in the past. With halibut last year I lost a jig on a clinch knot that didn't break, but slipped out of the knot. So I went to the improved clinch knot since but lost another jig last weekend to the knot slipping loose, not breaking. Am I using the wrong knot? Do those heavy 16-20 ounce jigs require a different set up? I was thinking of getting a crimped mono leader custom setup from the Sport Shed for these jigs. Anyone find another knot or setup that works well? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions, particularly the time tested ones.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What kind of line...braid or mono?

80 lb. braided. Never had this problem with mono. Also, pulled up several fish with the jig before the slipping loss. The improved clinch on my swivels has not slipped yet after scores of fish.

I've always used a palomer knot on my braided lines. Just my preference tho.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Roger that, I've had it happen before. I've started doubling my braid while tying knots, and haven't had one slip since.

I recomend going with a topshop of mono when using braid, better abrasion resistance, just a tad of give at the terminal end, and larger dia line for bringing the fish on the boat w/o cutting your hand. I use a spider knot for braid to mono, and palomar for braid to swivel. When I get a jig stuck and have to break it off, and if I'm in a hurry, I'll just put a new swivel on the braid using a palomar. I've never had a palomar slip with braid and it's super fast to tie.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akworkandfish View Post
    Yep,, Palomer for all my braided lines, EZ and never had one fail.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

CWM, I do alot of deepwater fishing with heavy braid (150-200#) & use the uni-knot for my terminal tackle knot.

Have had fish break the line by running into reefs, oil rigs, etc., but have never had a knot failure with this knot.

Check into a Uni Knot. Easy to tie as a clinch, and it won't slip with braid. I use a Palomar for some things, but the Uni for everything else. Hard to beat back-to-back Unis for joining braid and mono, for example.

I strictly use a Palomer knot with braided line.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I strictly use a Palomar knot with braided line.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks guys, I will give these a try. I'm glad to see I am not the only one that has had this problem.

+1 on the palomer knot into a corkscrew swivel. All of our gear was set up identical. Never had a knot failure.

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    I have a basic question about knots and braided line. I have been fishing my whole life, and while I know several fishing knots, I find the clinch or improved clinch knot has generally worked best in the past. With halibut last year I lost a jig on a clinch knot that didn't break, but slipped out of the knot. So I went to the improved clinch knot since but lost another jig last weekend to the knot slipping loose, not breaking. Am I using the wrong knot? Do those heavy 16-20 ounce jigs require a different set up? I was thinking of getting a crimped mono leader custom setup from the Sport Shed for these jigs. Anyone find another knot or setup that works well? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions, particularly the time tested ones.
    I use a sort of modified clinch knot all the time on all the braid that I use and NEVER have any problems with it at all. I say modified because I run the line through the eye of the hook twice and then do the rest of the clinch knot. I use 80 lb. braid for halibut and 50 lb. on all my salmon gear and I have never had a knot pull loose or break on me. And I use them quite a bit.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I use the Palomar knot on all PowerPro (or similar) braids for terminal connections. Its fast, easy, and reliable.

Offshore swivel knot for me...doubled back 4'. Gives you double protection for the last 4'. The tag end is knotted to the mainline via a 3 times through 1/2 knot. I never tie directly to anything but my mainline swivel...mono leaders all the way to terminal tackle. Tied correctly one of the two 4' portions can be cut and keep the same overall integrity. Not a fast knot but very strong and effective.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...e-swivel-knot/

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Offshore swivel knot for me...doubled back 4'. Gives you double protection for the last 4'. The tag end is knotted to the mainline via a 3 times through 1/2 knot. I never tie directly to anything but my mainline swivel...mono leaders all the way to terminal tackle. Tied correctly one of the two 4' portions can be cut and keep the same overall integrity. Not a fast knot but very strong and effective.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knot...e-swivel-knot/
    Never seen this one....cool knot, easy to tie...I'm definitely going to try this one out.

I have also always used either an improved clinch or palomar with braid. As far as I know, I haven't ever had a knot failure, so it's hard for me to say which is better. The deciding factor for me is how fast I'm trying to gear up; I can tie an improved clinch with my eyes closed in a few seconds, but for whatever reason often have a hard time getting a good palomar knot the first try.

I've been using the fish n fool knot, it was a winner from the know war series. You can find it here:http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/fish-n-fool-knot/ It is easy to tie and works with mono and Powerpro.

For braided line, I agree with the polomar knot tied to a cork screw style swivel, then I use 60 thread gangion line past that, tied on with a simple bowline. The 60 thread gangion line eliminates any rock abrasion problems. If you want to impress your friends and have the time, use an 8' long bimini twist and then the offshore swivel knot to your swivel. The idea behind the bimini is that you will have a few wraps of double line on the reel before the fish comes to the surface. The idea of the offshore swivel knot is that one of the lines can break and the other will still hold just as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast