Thread: Kasilof Reds

Default Kasilof Reds

Anyone catch one on rod and reel yet? I tried a few times mid June with no luck.

another 6000 or so yesterday were counted. Where do people fish for reds on the Kasilof? I've fished for Kings and Silvers at crooked creek, and dipnetted on the beach. I've never really tried reds on rod and reel. I'd love to hear about it if anyone knows. I'm itching for a midnight run.

Same place you fished for kings. THey move through there quick so you basically have to time it just right. Did ok last year just haven't been able to connect this year. I'm going to try tonight and perhaps answer my own post...

I've seen lots of anglers heading upriver from the highway launch.

When there are good quantities in the river, you can pretty much catch them anywhere if you happen to be there when they are moving through.....

We got a few last week down below Crooked Ck....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Couldn't catch a single one last night AGAIN! No one else on the river below crooked creek, thought that was odd. Water is way high. Tried the Kenai above Soldotna and didn't catch any there either.

Did you fish the incoming tide say 2-3 hours before the ebb? The thing about fishing reds on the Kasilof, is sometimes you really need to put in the time to find the right drift through a nice little trough. And if you're there when they come through, which seems in spurts a lot of the time, then you can get lucky and pick up a few pretty quick. Although sure, fish will run up all parts of the river, but they will favor certain areas where they can rest briefly out of the current before heading on up. These will be the places to target.....behind rocks, around corners, etc...

Also you need a good drift and you're weight has a lot to do with it depending on the water conditions. We also had to remove weight as the tide came in so we could still get a good bounce along the bottom.

The main thing is you just really need to be there when a good push comes through or it can seem pretty futile that's for sure.

Good Luck...!!!

You really have to time it correctly right now with the counts at the current numbers. We fished the crap out of it the last 2 days and only managed a few fish. We hooked up a lot but did not manage to get them in. Very spotty right now.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Well at least its not just me! Thanks for the updates!

I think only 1k fish came up the Kasilof........of course the set netters were out. 5,100 the day before....

Still not real good numbers. I think the water is still too cold.....

What's the overall thought, is the Red run, a few days later than usual on the K & K? I'm hitting it on the 18th, hope I'm not to early.

I think a lot of people are thinking they are late this year. Heavy winter makes for lots of cold water. And how many times have you heard about how a bazillion fish are polling for position at the mouth waiting for the water temp to be just right...???