Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New to Alaskan Rivers

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lancaster Ca
    Posts
    5

    Default New to Alaskan Rivers

    Hi Guys, If I were to buy a perfect one size fits all spinning outfit for rainbows and silvers, what would that be? I'm looking for rod length, lines size, and reel size. Thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    8-1/2' medium weight rod, Pflueger Presidential reel. Do a search there was a thread with this exact question and lots of answers recently.

  3. #3
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Or call the local tackle shops. I started fly fishing up here, but whether fly or spin or bait-casting gear, didn't take long to realize that advice can be good or bad, but I could hedge my bets by concentrating on the staff of local shops. Nothing against the chains really, but in my experience they have higher turnover making the quality of information spotty. Besides the local shops are where folks come in to jaw awhile - telling stories of their latest outings. In the local shops, I get to know them but more to the point, they accumulate knowledge. For this reason alone, make every effort to contact them during a slower weekday than weekends.
    They are partly in business and succeeding because they enjoy talking fishing. They have every interest in success - so they can keep on making a living, talking and learning fishing in this great state . Can you imagine?
    Best of luck!

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Personally I like fishing for silvers on fairly light gear....8-10# test mono with a 6-8' light action rod, and a small shakespear reel. Lots o' fun catching a 10+# silver on that set up. Same would be true for nice sized rainbows.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I like fishing for silvers on fairly light gear....8-10# test mono with a 6-8' light action rod, and a small shakespear reel. Lots o' fun catching a 10+# silver on that set up. Same would be true for nice sized rainbows.
    I am with you 100 percent, much more fun to catch silvers on lighter gear!

  6. #6
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I am with you 100 percent, much more fun to catch silvers on lighter gear!
    Same here!

    With that said thats a bit too big of a rod and reel for rainbows so for them I use an ultra light setup with 4-6 lb mono, small reel, and a 5-6.5 foot graphite or fiberglass rod.

  7. #7
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Same here!

    With that said thats a bit too big of a rod and reel for rainbows so for them I use an ultra light setup with 4-6 lb mono, small reel, and a 5-6.5 foot graphite or fiberglass rod.
    I think maybe that depends on the size of the rainbow...???!!!......lol

    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  8. #8
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I think maybe that depends on the size of the rainbow...???!!!......lol

    Wow, that is a horse...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    How did he catch that without SIMMS waders and an ORVIS hat!!!

    Awesome fish, thanks for sharing!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •