Thread: Foraging Forum?

Default Foraging Forum?

How About It (berry's,mushroom's,clams,etc...)i Shure Would Like To Know The What,where,whens,and How's. Whatever Saves Me $ At The Grocery Store.as Martha Stewart Would Say" Its A Good Thing"!:d
    Thanks
    Grin:d

Hmmm...interesting thought. I'm wondering, however, if there would actually be enough activity to warrant its own forum. Seems like topics like this could fit under the Hiking or General Discussion forums. Maybe we should start a thread in the General Discussion area and see what we can learn!

Gathering wild edibles and herbs has long been a tradition in Alaska. I would think there would be a bit of interest here somewhere in the forum for that. It goes hand in hand with getting outdoors and with hunting. Nothing like a supper where all is harvested from the land with your own two hands!

Grandma Lori

I think it warrents a shot,I think there may be a good base of people who would use such a forum, I know I would, and it sounds like grandma would too. ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT.
    GRIN

Default gathering wild edibles thread/forum

Yup, I would like to see something somewhere on gathering. Pefect timing too as the snow starts to melt along the riverbanks and woods. Almost time to start searching for those tender first sprouts and shoots!

Grandma Lori

Oh now this is a cool idea. I do a little wild edible gathering for the family myself and we all look forward to berry season with watering mouths! I've still got a little jam left from last year, hope it holds out awhile longer. I for one would definitely participate. Wont be long till fiddleheads start sprouting!

Rick P

We've got jars of blueberries and some jam from last year too. Berry season is still a long ways off. Until then, there is so much to harvest and it would be fun and educational to chat with others about it. We don't have fiddleheads this far north, but I have tried them and they are very tasty. Our first shoots are generally fireweed. Pick em small when they are only a few inches tall, and they are good in a salad, stir-fry or steamed like asparagus. Then, when spring progresses into early summer there is so much more to look for...

The small home vegetable garden is another cool outdoorsy topic.

Grandma

And dont forget the mushrooms, morels, boletes,chicken of the woods,etc.... I dont know much about the greens but i would love to learn!