Thread: Crescent lake trail conditions

Default Crescent lake trail conditions

Hey all, anyone been on the Crescent lake trail this summer? I have the cabin rented, and was thinking of mountain biking up, but driving by there the other day it looks like alot of snow still up that way. I was hoping to get a trail report before heading out tomorrow. Thanks and happy Independance Day!!!

The trail is in really good shape. One snow slide just before the bridge. Have fun!

Cool thanks for the report. I'll have to post some fishin' action shots when we get back.

The creek trail is in good shape, as is the carter trail. I just backpacked the entire traverse a week ago. Spent 2 nights at the saddle and one at the creek cabin. If you plan on hiking at all on the primitive trail, you will need to navigate a good area to wade across. Small creeks that we usually step across are 8 ft wide and hauling ass. The worse is the first large creek at the start of the primitive trail from the carter lake side.

Never been in there, but was planning a recon with my 14 y/o daughter this weekend. Plan on throwing dry flys and little bead headed nymphs at them on our 4 and 5wt fly rods. Sound about right? I've reviewed Google Maps, but don't see the trail. Regardless, I'll find it. Any landmarks I should be looking for from the highway or along the trail? How long is the walk? I plan to check out Quartz Creek as well? Any experience there?

Thanks for any help!

Turn at Quartz Creek Road. The trailhead parking area is about 4 or 5 miles down on your left. The trail begins across the road and is well marked. It is a steady climb of 6 1/2 miles or so to the lake. A mountain bike makes it a fun couple of hour ride to the lake. Your tackle selection is good. Good luck!

You wont do well at quartz creek right now. It's insanely high, water is very murky. Dry flies or nymphs with a 4 wt will be fine. The trailhead is pretty hard to miss on the quartz creek side, just drive down several miles until you see the parking lot on the left hand of the road, its past the camping areas, and past the old bulldozer along the road. Trail head is on the right. It is 6.5 miles from the trail head to the lake, you will be in close proximity to crescent creek on most of it, and there is good fishing along the creek.

How is the water level on Crescent Creek? Could you tell?

Quote Originally Posted by justin262 View Post
    You wont do well at quartz creek right now. It's insanely high, water is very murky. Dry flies or nymphs with a 4 wt will be fine. The trailhead is pretty hard to miss on the quartz creek side, just drive down several miles until you see the parking lot on the left hand of the road, its past the camping areas, and past the old bulldozer along the road. Trail head is on the right. It is 6.5 miles from the trail head to the lake, you will be in close proximity to crescent creek on most of it, and there is good fishing along the creek.

Just got back, creek is high, but clear. Small Grayling in the creek, fishing the lake was AWESOME. Used small white crappie jigs and caught about 60-70 nothing under12" most about 18". Weather sucked...fresh snow in JULY ***????Attachment 61260Attachment 61261Attachment 61260

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    Just got back, creek is high, but clear. Small Grayling in the creek, fishing the lake was AWESOME. Used small white crappie jigs and caught about 60-70 nothing under12" most about 18". Weather sucked...fresh snow in JULY ***????Attachment 61260Attachment 61261Attachment 61260
    Your attachment no workie....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

awwww man, why is it such a PItA posting pics here???

I too have had lots of trouble with pictures.

Let me see if this works.
    Attachment 61269

Quote Originally Posted by zekeski View Post
    awwww man, why is it such a PItA posting pics here???

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is what i do. go to www.imgur.com

1. upload from your computer. Find the file...

2. Once uploaded there should be several links on the right side of the page, one that says message boards / forums.

3. Copy and past that to here.

Sounds like a lot but its really really easy and only takes me about 10 seconds to do.

Here is a link to a tutorial that Brian M put together:http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sting-Pictures

I prefer the photobucket option. The pics open directly into the post, so no clicking on thumb nails. Pretty straight forward.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks guys. Sorry to take a sidetrack from the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Here is a link to a tutorial that Brian M put together:http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sting-Pictures

I prefer the photobucket option. The pics open directly into the post, so no clicking on thumb nails. Pretty straight forward.
    Yeah.....probably one of the best things to do is just get a photobucket account, and upload from there.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Crescent Lake is a nice place and I think everyone should go there at least once. I have the cabin and the saddle cabin booked in September for a loop hike. The creek and lake do not show up on any maps until 1910 where they were then called Lost Creek and Lost Lake. In 1952 when the USGS was creating detailed base maps of the area they chose to change the names to Crescent Creek and Crescent Lake based on the shape of the lake and so they are known by these names today.

From 2010.

cl10.JPGcl12.JPG