Thread: halibut ling cod combo from homer

Default halibut ling cod combo from homer

hey guy I'm going out July 18Th on a halibut ling combo I'm booked with big bear has anybody on this forum fished with them? how was your trip? also I've fished lings out of Seward before how are they in homer?

whod u go with out of seward and did you do well?

we went with john from gotta fish charters we caught a few lings all our silvers and plenty of rockfish and a few halibut it was a good trip it was 4 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    hey guy I'm going out July 18Th on a halibut ling combo I'm booked with big bear has anybody on this forum fished with them? how was your trip? also I've fished lings out of Seward before how are they in homer?
    Since no one else is going to answer you, I'll try my best.

Big Bear has a couple of boats and sometimes they go a LONG way out to catch fish depending on what kind of trip you're doing. If, as you say, you're going after lings then you'll probably go at least as far as Perl which is a good 50 miles out, or even further. So you can spend about 4 hours of your day just sitting in the boat getting to and back from where you're going to fish. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing because where they go sometimes (The Barrens, Chugach Island, Gore Pt., etc.) you can pull in some big halibut and some nice lings. But it doesn't guarantee you're going to bring back any big fish. As I was leaving the parking lot just yesterday I saw the crew from Big Bear hanging up the catch for the day in front of their place on the Spit and they had one ling, a couple of good sized "black bass" and I think 11 halibut ranging from maybe 10 lbs. up to about 25 lbs. or so, and then one halibut on the pulley hoist that looked to be about maybe 60 lbs. or so. I guess you can judge whether or not that would be considered a good catch for the day. I went 23 miles out and got 6 halibut (didn't target lings) ranging from about 12 lbs. up to 30. It's all relative.

You'll probably be grouped together with other people you don't know unless your group takes up the whole boat. That, too, isn't always such a bad thing because you might meet some really nice people that you wouldn't meet otherwise. But if you get grouped together with a few jerks then you're stuck on a boat for about 8 hours with a few jerks. I take a few hundred people fishing every summer and as much as I hate to admit this, I'm not always overly fond of every single person I take out there. Unfortunately there are some idiots in this world!

I've never been on either of their boats, but they look like they'd be pretty spacious and comfy. That can make things a lot more pleasant for people that want a lot of elbow room. And I've never met any of their crew, but they fish a lot and they fish hard, and have a thriving business, so they gotta be doing something right. From what they have published on their website the multi-species trips seem a bit pricey, but that's not always a big concern for everyone---you do get to go out on a nice boat with lots of room and knowledgeable crews.

Lings out of Homer are just about the same as lings out of Seward. You'll go about the same distance either way and the lings are going to be in the same size range no matter where you go. They sure should be able to put you on some decent fish.

Hope that helps. And I hope you slay 'em out there!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Not sure about Big bear but I'm going out with Mike Manns for a combo that also includes bass. From what I understand like Mutt mentioned its about a 2+hr trip out.
    Hoping Lings are as big as I got in Seward last year, most were pushing the #40+ category. That's my preference, halibut is the bonus.

To answer hunterdave, look into Crackerjack or Pro fishnsee out of Seward. Several boats between them. Runs are about the same 2hrs into PWS

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Not sure about Big bear but I'm going out with Mike Manns for a combo that also includes bass. From what I understand like Mutt mentioned its about a 2+hr trip out.
    Hoping Lings are as big as I got in Seward last year, most were pushing the #40+ category. That's my preference, halibut is the bonus.

To answer hunterdave, look into Crackerjack or Pro fishnsee out of Seward. Several boats between them. Runs are about the same 2hrs into PWS
    Yeah, and a lot of the time it's actually the trip back that's the problem. If it takes you 2.5 hours to get to where you're going and then the seas build up to 5 ft. during the day it takes you 3.5 hours to get back. When I give my ling clients my usual spiel during the morning I tell them they reasonably can expect to do nothing but sit in the boat for a total of 5 or 6 hours of their day about 90% of the time they opt for just going 23 miles and fishing during those wasted hours and getting decent halibut. For lings there's just no way of getting around the long ride unfortunately. It sure is worth it on a good day, though.

Thank you muttley

Thank you muttley
    You're entirely welcome. Hope this feeds the fire a bit. We went to the ling grounds yesterday, but about 8 ft. swells and a good foot or so of cresting wind wave on top of that chased us away after just the one ling and yelloweye. But we stopped off on the south side of Elizabeth where the water was almost flat and got into a decent number of butt. The ling was 35 lbs.

Thank you muttley
    There was supposed to be a picture attached to my previous post with a nice little ling in it. I'll try again:35lb ling and yelloweye.JPG

This is what we got today:total catch 7-10-12.JPG

The lings ranged from a 36 incher that tipped the scales at about 16 lbs., up to a beauty at 58 lbs. Pretty good day out there. Hope Big Bear can get you some of those.

That's a nice boat of fish for sure I'll post pics o whatever we catch and will report how things go on there charter

That's a nice boat of fish for sure I'll post pics o whatever we catch and will report how things go on there charter
    Yeah, please do! It will be interesting to see what they can do for you and where they take you to get them. I'm sure on a lot of days they probably do a lot better than I do since they have bigger boats that can go the extra distance. But some days you just hit it right. Like we did today! Not too shabby for just 3 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    .... but I'm going out with Mike Manns for a combo that also includes bass. From what I understand like Mutt mentioned its about a 2+hr trip out...
    I was out with Mike several times and he sure knows what he is doing. Expect a long ride to the Ling grounds, but if the sea permits his boat is fast :-)

Best regards,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex404 View Post
    I was out with Mike several times and he sure knows what he is doing. Expect a long ride to the Ling grounds, but if the sea permits his boat is fast :-)

Best regards,
    Alex
    Ill second that. Just went out with Manns a few days ago. That guy knows where the fish are bottom line. It was a long ride to the ling grounds but the fishing was amazing. We limited out on lings in less than 20 minutes. Most were around 35 pounds some a bit larger. Mikes boat was blazing fast as we passed about 4 other boats on the way out there at half throttle.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Bar none hands down the best halibut charter I've ever been on a few yellow eye a nice ling cod and some darn good halibut thanks to rob and Tara for kicking but .