Thread: caribou 26B

Default caribou 26B

Three of us are driving from Anchorage to Happy Valley to fly out of Happy Valley on the first week of September for caribou hunting. 70 North will be flying us out. We have never done this before. I would appreciate comments on
    1. what weather should we expect; 2. Timing (first week Sept) for seeing caribou; 3. supplies we should bring but may not consider; 4. can we make the drive in one day from Anchorage to Happey Valley or should we stay over and where should we stay. Thank you for your comments. The Farmer

As for the weather on the haul road, it changes about every 12 hours.

It will be pretty chilly in September , there will more than likely be snow on the ground.

Have you already booked with your pilot to make sure they will be there at that time ???

2 of the outfitters that we do work for are done hunting up there at the end of August.

To drive non stop ANC to Happy Valley is going to make a long day but yes you can do it.

There should be plenty of Caribou around at that time but no guarantee they will be on the haul road.

One of my clients went up Sept 3 last year & said he saw a thousand head but they were all out 5 to 10 miles, so they didnt get one.

Anouther couple clients went up for the last week of August & each brought back 2 nice bulls to get mounted. They said they were all over the road.

Of coarse if you are flying in you will be able to see them, & hopefully you can stayin front of them. They move arround very quikley & one day you can have hundreds, the next they are VERY scattered & hard to get close to.

Good luck,
    RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Three of us are driving from Anchorage to Happy Valley to fly out of Happy Valley on the first week of September for caribou hunting. 70 North will be flying us out. We have never done this before. I would appreciate comments on
    1. what weather should we expect; 2. Timing (first week Sept) for seeing caribou; 3. supplies we should bring but may not consider; 4. can we make the drive in one day from Anchorage to Happey Valley or should we stay over and where should we stay. Thank you for your comments. The Farmer
    First off Mike at 70 North will take care of you, great guy and service.

I don't try to drive straight through even from Fairbanks. I like to stop at Wiseman and stay at one of the B&Bs, cool place and nice to break up the drive. The drive is wonderful and if you do the death drive you miss much of the scenery. Make a reservation NOW.

The weather during that time can be anything from HOT HOT HOT to white out snow. But most often you get ice fog that burns off around noon.

Be prepared for bugs and water crossing, so bug nets and deet and good waders or hip boots.

Bring plenty of tarps to cover meat and other items and be bear smart.

Oh and bring fishing stuff!!

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Last year a buddy and I went the weekend before Labor Day. It was the first real big snow of the year. The bou were starting to head south and they were all over the road. A week before we left, my understanding is that there were no bou to be seen south of Dead Horse. It seems like it changes quickly and the weather will dictate the bugs, and in turn the bugs will dictate the caribou behavior. We will be going up in mid-August and I will be posting to the bowhunting forum under 2012 Haul Road Report, so if you haven't looked there, check it out. Good luck!

Personally, I would not attempt the drive in one day.... I made it to Coldfoot from Anchorage around 8pm and had supper then stayed at the Marion Creek campground about 5 miles north. That way I was able to get a hot breakfast the next morning while only backtracking 5 miles. It was worth it since it was the last decent meal for a week.

As for weather, it's totally random. We went in 3rd week of Sept and the only real accumulation of snow was at the top of Atigun Pass. That said, it definitely snowed on us during our hunt. More like crystals of frozen fog constantly falling. It was FOGGY about 2/3 of the time. Temps varied between single digits at night, to 30's during the day.

Good luck... we only saw caribou along the road.

I've done the trip 3 times in the last two years. Each time I've done the drive non-stop, with the exception of pulling over and taking a snooze for short bit. The last 2 times however, I've had my wife with me and we switch off driving so that helps. Timing for caribou is tough and no way to predict it, just go and hope for the best. All I've heard, however, is that Mike at 70 north will make sure to do his best to put you where the caribou will be. As far as stuff to bring, that list could end up being a mile long! Warm clothes for one, gaiters would be a must to keep your boots and pants dry.

I will also be up there on Sept. 8th flying out with a buddy using Mikes service maybe we will run into each other at the runway or something. Good luck can't wait to get there chasin bou..... The weather can be anything so be prepared. And the guys are right that is a long drive I'd have to break that into 2 days. Can't hunt on flyin day anyway so that day can be half of driving day and fly in the field in the evening is what I would do.

4 of us are going up last week of Aug and 1st week of Sept. Using 70N also. I've made the trip to Prudhoe 1 time before. Couple flat tires was the worst of our luck. We are focussing on Bear by Sheep hunting with maybe some potential for a nice bou or two.

Weather is weather and not anything you can do about it. Stid posted some good info for you.