Thread: Probably a stupid question....

Default Probably a stupid question....

But I am new to duck hunting and had a hard time on my own last season trying to find ducks. I am just wondering how to know if a lake is legal to hunt ducks on. I looked on the F&G site and didn't see anything, and I saw ducks on a number of lakes around but there were so many houses on the lakes, I just figured it wasn't legal or safe. Is there a way to find out? Thanks.

I'd probably stay away from Cheney Lake and Jewel Lake but some of the lakes over toward the Knik have hunting opportunities. Be a little more specific and folks will point you in the right direction.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Read past posts on here, there are lots and lots of hunting areas discussed, some in detail. If you post your general location, some from that area might give you some idas. It shows you have 300 posts on here, so you should have some idea. Bud
    Wasilla

Probably the first thing you need to do is to check where the lake is located. For example, lakes in Anchorage are illegal because it is illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits. There are some firearm restricted areas in the Mat Su from what I recall, but I don't know the details. You would want to check out the Mat Su Borough laws. Fish and Game will mostly just refer to local laws rather than go into the details of each area.

In order for anyone to help you, you need to state your location. We can give you all kinds of advice about Anchorage, but if you live in Bethel or Fairbanks its meaninless and wastes our time.

Most lakes with constructed access roads from the Knik river south to Girdwood are Anchorage city parks and no waterfowl hunting with guns or bows is allowed. There are exceptions for falcontry hunting though in some areas of town. The bigger lakes with homes - and no park land - on them are covered by the small game rules for 14C and generally no hunting allowed.

If you are in the Nancy lake or Big Lake rec areas then hunting with bow only until you are outside the rec area boundaries. Probably no hunting at all on Big Lake.

There are many other lakes, but review of the various unit specific hunting regulations or state recreational websites will let you know what you need to know.

Thanks guys. For clarification, I wasn't asking about a specific area, just how to know in general if a lake I am at is legal to hunt on>

I am in Houston, BTW, and there are tons of lake out here in Meadow Lakes.

Watch out in Houston, especially around the little Susitna. I recall a lot of discussion last year about people getting ticketed on the little su for shooting in houston, and i think the official boundry goes quite a ways down river. I would stop at the trooper station by 3 bears ans ask the troopers there about what is legal. I know shooting is legal just off pittman because they use to run short notice in the local paper about terrorist drills due to duck hunters at a school on pittman, havn't seen that in the past year or so, I think they must have changed the rules,

Look, easiest and a popular area is the hayflats, off the parks highway. you can go up or down river, or down the rabbit slough access, or just park and start walking. you will want a boat, otherwise there is a lot of walking involved, also check cottonwood access, look on a map. if you need a duck boat, i have one for sale. special price for newcomers. Bud
    Wasilla