Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are we our own worst enemy?

Angry Why are we our own worst enemy?

Recently, a picture was posted to Facebook of a young hunter with a small black bear (a 3 year old). The bear was wet, which made it look even smaller...what happens? The keyboard commandos come out of the woodwork.

"We're reporting you to fish and game"
    "What? You think you're tough for shooting a cub" (to a 10 year old hunter)
    "I'm all for hunting, but dang."

And the list goes on

Why must we, as hunters, degrade, put down, turn our noses up, get on our 'holier than though' pedestal, etc. to other hunters? If other hunters are touting themselves as being ethical hunters while engaging in illegal activities, that's one thing, but if you see folks hunting as a family, following all fair chase and ADF&G regulations, PLEASE push the keyboard back and think before you vomit all over the internet with ill-informed postings.

Our way of life up here as hunters already gets enough flack from outside interest groups let alone us putting each other down and picking each other apart. We see it EVERYWHERE and it gets old...really old..

/rant

Kyle- it is sad that there is such back-biting within a group, but as my mother used to tell me- "Consider the source". A few bad apples won't ruin what positives they hear. It would probably mean a lot for the young hunter to hear some encouraging words from guys like you and other true outdoorsman who have not forgotten what hunting is all about.
    BEE

Kyle, if I knew how this rep point thing everyone talks about works I'd hook you up. I get so tired of seeing this type of stuff I can't stand it. When I was 9yrs old if someone had chastised me for my first buck being a 1 1/2yr old forkhorn I would have been crushed. But nobody did and if they thought of it reason probably took hold telling them that it was my tag and a legal animal so none of their business.
    I try to show interest and support for any new hunter that I meet or that shows me a picture of their game animal. Especially kids, I'm not much more than a kid myself, and even I can tell you with certainty that they are the future of our lifestyle, and need all the direction and encouragement they can get.

Several years ago I shot a 'small' black bear. He was about 4'10" and when I took him to F&G to be sealed the guy there was ribbing me a little about it being a small bear. Figures that it was a 3-4 year old male that was in good condition. We talked a little more and the conversation turned to how good eating the smaller bears are them the old ones. Yes this one was headed to the freezer! The young hunter in the story should be 'proud' of getting his bear. Not all of us want/need to prove anything by always taking the largest game animal that we can find.

My wife was a little concerned about taking **** for the black bear she just harvested. I told her not to worry about it if other people give her hell, it was her first harvest. Just had a roast in the crock pot tonight and it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same BS happens in here. Guy shoots a grizzly and gets reported numerous times to F&G for shooting a cub and also out of season and chastised about it. Even though everything was perfectly legal if they would have taken two seconds to check the regs. Pass on congratulations to the kid for me.

I shot my first big game animal back home in Oregon on a youth hunt when I was pretty young, a young blacktail deer, as I recall it still had some spots on it, though Im pretty sure the were faded quite a bit. It was a 'hair' tag so any deer was legal. I was so proud of myself, and my father and grandfather were very proud of me as well. If anyone had put me down for shooting a yearling I dont know if I would have wanted to hunt again. I dont see how adults could do this to a kid, these young hunters are critical to the survival of our sport and way of life. Shame on them IMO.

On a side note, that young deer had evidence on its ribcage of having pneumonia at some point in its life, probably the previous winter or spring, it most likely would not have survived the upcoming winter. It was with another yearling and a doe when I had shot it late in the year in December.

I have to agree with mod elan there are plenty of people on this very forum that call people out on the animals they shoot or even go so far as accusing them of hunting illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have to agree with mod elan there are plenty of people on this very forum that call people out on the animals they shoot or even go so far as accusing them of hunting illegally.
    I agree. It is pretty rampant here. Hollier than thou is alive and well on this forum. That's one of the many reasons I would never post pics and story here. I chuckle at how some people get "hamstrung" It is however entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    I agree. It is pretty rampant here. Hollier than thou is alive and well on this forum. That's one of the many reasons I would never post pics and story here. I chuckle at how some people get "hamstrung" It is however entertaining.
    What he said

Here is a pic of a small bull caribou I got last year.
    It's no trophy, but it put good meat in the freezer and was taken legally.
    I don't think it is any thing to be ashamed of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd take that caribou and not think twice about it. Two years of Fortymile hunts and have seen one measly animal. And it's too bad about the kid's bear.. kinda ruins the point of hunting if someone is going to chastise you for being successful.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The other side it this issue is knowing the nature of the beast...as .300wby said, if you post a pic/story/whatever on the web, you better be ready to accept what you get. The fact is, no matter if it's a new world record or a yearling, someone's gonna give you crap about it. The web is a big place. Poster beware!

We need more hunters. Not more hunters that only do it "MY" way or the way "I" would have done it (or the way "I" say "you" should do it). We need to encourage new hunters (and old hunters) to participate in the sport under the existing state rules, not denigrate them for not following "MY" rules.
    Well said Hunt AK
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I saw that but figured best at the moment to bite my tongue. Is your critic a member here??

Perhaps folks shouldn't pipe up about game related issues unless they know 100% there right. Surely we will see someone take flack over a bear, moose and sheep before season end.

Perhaps all the ones who chastise their fellow hunter do so because they werent as successful in taking said game?? Just a thought

It did not take me long to figure out that people, either are ALL for bear hunting or they are AGAINST it and will attack in anyway they can. As far as the person on facebook, can't they be UNfriended, after all if they feel that way, they are NO friend of hunters.

Congrats to the father and young hunter.

My first bow kill was a button buck that I mistook for a doe. Weighed maybe 40lbs soaking wet, I could not have been more proud of that little buck, took me years of trying to make that first kill. We all need to remember our own start, legal is legal.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I think it is pitiful how quick people are to criticize. That said, cyberspace is like anywhere else, if you can't learn to stand the heat, go somewhere that isn't public. Anyone who criticizes another's decision to shoot, who wasn't there, has to live with their own disgracefulness.

STID, I disagree with your assessment. While it is tempting to see the world in a dualistic way, I've found that rarely do people fit into one of two simple categories.

I have bascially evolved into just reading posts on here. So many responses are negative. It seems that trying to find fault or criticism of someone else is a sport to some on here. If they cant find anything to pick on then it becomes resident vs. nonresident or some other silly thing. BUT let me say that I have LOTS of positive experiences and have received excellent advice on here. Most people are good people willing to help however they can.

A long time ago i heard the saying, "It's easier to criticize than praise," which I have been guilty of on more than one occasion. I believe this is where all the negativity comes from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast