Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut in Juneau?

Default Halibut in Juneau?

I was thinking about heading out for halibut in the Juneau area in the morning. Normally this time of year, my go to spot is Vanderbilt reef, but I haven't heard of a lot of halibut being caught there yet. I tried the south end of Benjamin Island a few days ago in the 240 foot silty area, but not even a bite there.

Talking with the locals lately, the only thing that seems consistant about halibut in the Juneau area is that where they are catching them is inconsistent. I do not think I have heard the same fishing area mentioned twice.

Has anyone get any halibut in the Juneau area over the last week? I am curious where you caught them at if you are willing to share.

Thanks in advance!

If you know Vanderbilt - I would go up there. No one in the bunch I talk to has been scoring very heavily on halibut anywhere around Juneau yet this season. Hanus Reef and Sisters Island are producing but Vanderbilt is closer.

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    If you know Vanderbilt - I would go up there. No one in the bunch I talk to has been scoring very heavily on halibut anywhere around Juneau yet this season. Hanus Reef and Sisters Island are producing but Vanderbilt is closer.
    I was going to try Vanderbilt, but got caught in some rough seas out there. I opted for North Shelter Island between the north side of the island and Handtrollers cove in one of my "tried and true" spots in rather shallow water. No dice there, not even a bite.

I'm hoping to get one more trip to Vanderbilt tomorrow before I head back to the midwest.

I tried St. James last week but only got 4 chickens. I saw some 50-75lbers coming back to the dock from Icy Strait. I'm going to try to head to Icy this weekend, but I'm on a skiff so I'm always in peril of an ocean ass kicking.

I'm heading to JNU this weekend ... how's the fishing? anything besides halibut to target? I would like to go after some halibut and salmon after I put the boat in the water for the first time in a long while. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    I'm heading to JNU this weekend ... how's the fishing? anything besides halibut to target? I would like to go after some halibut and salmon after I put the boat in the water for the first time in a long while. Thanks

IMHO, fishing has been a bit slow in the Juneau area. In terms of salmon, all I have seen jumping is dogs. There are a ton of dogs jumping around Eagle River beach, Amalga harbor, and down the Breadline. I tried for a few nights to get a nice chum salmon alond the Breadline to toss in the smoker, but they weren't biting at all. I haven't even seen any pinks jumping which seems odd to me this time of year. I haven't heard of anyone getting silvers yet, but that isn't too unusual for this time of year.

I hear Kings aren't too bad in the Juneau area, but I haven't been fishing for them. I saw 4 beautiful kings pulled out of DIPAC the day I was there. I haven't spent too much time on salmon this trip in general.

Halibit seems spotty. I've talked to some people who have caught them, but I haven't heard the same place mentioned twice. I've heard people catching them at Point Retreat and Cordwood Creek around Admiralty Island, Point Hilda off of Douglas, Halibut cove off of Shelter Island, Benjamin Island, and Vanderbilt reef. However, as I said, I haven't heard the same place mentioned twice yet.

I'm going to make one more go at Vanderbilt reef tomorrow and see how it goes.

I saw a couple of really nice silvers being cleaned at Auke today. I doubt they were caught anywhere close in, though.

Dogs are everywhere, humpies are at Echo cove. The kings I've seen around Auke bay aren't in very good shape anymore.

Thanks for the intell...every little bit helps. Thanks much

I recently tried Vanderbilt, and no luck. Not even a bite.

It's pretty slow this year in Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Thanks for the intell...every little bit helps. Thanks much
    Went to VAnderbilt reef today. We got 4 small ones between 10 and 20 pounds. A friend got a nice 60 pounder or so at Point Retreat...finally a name came up twice!

We limited on chickens at Couverden this weekend. Fishing about 300' down. I tried going for the whopper using a salmon head, but no joy.

I always had good success drifting through north pass , bumping bait as you go. I always liked lone island as well. Caught some decent fish around shelter side of hump island. Biggest halibut I ever caught in close-to-Juneau waters was in youngs bay.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

"Lone Island"? where is that? Eagle Beach has been good to me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    "Lone Island"? where is that? Eagle Beach has been good to me this year.
    Sorry, its called little island, but we always referred as lone island.

Maybe this question deserves it's own thread, but do you guys ever use those big spendy jigs with the treble hooks? I've always just used circle hooks and bait, sometimes with a artificial worm or hootchie. I know you have to work the pole more on the jigs, but just curious if it was worth the investment.
    Last edited by AlaskaFishTerminator; 07-11-2012 at 11:20. Reason: spelling fixes

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Maybe this question deserves it's own thread, but do you guys ever use those big spendy jigs with the treble hooks? I've always just used circle hooks and bait, sometimes with a artificial worm or hootchie. I know you have to work the pole more on the jigs, but just curious if it was worth the investment.
    I make my own. Gangion line, large hootchie and circle hook is all I ever use if I'm sportfishing. I'm not a fan of treble hooks for any kind of fishing.

Tlingit's set up is what has done best for me this year, but I've also been using butterfly style tuna jigs from Catch All tackle (ebay store, 6 bucks a piece...packs of 6) in 250gram and 300 gram. Have done great on rockfish and picked up several halibut with these as well. Vanderbilt has been hit or miss. in the past week I pulled an easy 6 fish limit with my parents and then three days later it was hand over fist with arrowtooth flounder and one solo halibut. Nothing bigger than 20 but taste great. Personally I'm lookin for some Cod in the juneau area to round out the freezer.

I always seem to end up neck deep in the arrowtooths over at halibut cove. In that type of situation do you usually stay put and see if the butts roll in? Shift your location to, say, slightly deeper? Or just just pick up and move to a new spot entirely?

Tried Halibut Cove a few weeks ago, had great bait and anchor set just like I wanted it.....4 hours, 2 arrowtooth, has been renamed "Cove" until further proof of Butts.

Generally new to butt fishing in jnu, but had the opposite with the arrowtooth, they were thicker at 300 feet at Vanderbilt than they were at 260....then again, just one data point on that one. First day out, when catching was good, caught no arrowtooth in the same 260 ft spot. Have heard those reefs can be day to day. But except for the big trailer haul from Douglas to Amalga, it's not too bad of a run with the boat at all. Commercial fleet made it interesting on Monday.....was dodging gillnets in the fog.

Which tide you do best at for Vandy?

Speaking of gillnets, I was salmon trolling at Pt. Bishop and a gillnetter pulled right up to me and threw his gill net down across the whole point without saying a word. He was pretty much "I have a living to make here. Move. Bye bye."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast