Thread: Commercial Openings

Default Commercial Openings

So, when are the commercial guys going to be operating this year around the Kenai / Kasilof areas, assuming no "Emergency Openings"?

Default UCI RSS Feed

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    So, when are the commercial guys going to be operating this year around the Kenai / Kasilof areas, assuming no "Emergency Openings"?
    ADF&G Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Openings RSS feed can be found at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...cookSalmon.xml

For example:
    Contact: Pat Shields, Area Management Biologist; 43961 Kalifornsky Beach Rd, Suite B Phone: (907) 262-9368 Date Issued: July 3, 2012
    Aaron Dupuis, Asst. Area Management Biologist Soldotna, AK 99669 Fax: (907) 262-4709 Time: 10:45 a.m.

UPPER COOK INLET COMMERCIAL FISHING ANNOUNCEMENT No. 7 EMERGENCY ORDER NUMBER 2S-07-12

Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 7 opens set gillnetting in the Kasilof Section of the Upper Subdistrict on Tuesday, July 3, 2012 from 1:00 p.m. until 12:00 midnight.
    Drift gillnetting will be open in the Kasilof Section (not the expanded Kasilof Section) of the Upper Subdistrict on Tuesday, July 3, 2012 from 1:00 p.m. until 12:00 midnight.

After reviewing the most current catch and escapement data, Department staff completed a total run projection for Kasilof River sockeye salmon. This analysis, combined with offshore test fish data, indicates there is a harvestable surplus of Kasilof River sockeye salmon. The Kasilof River cumulative sockeye salmon passage estimate through midnight on July 2, 2012 is 67,094 fish and is projected to be within the optimum escapement goal (OEG) range. As stated previously, the set gillnet fishery will be managed with the primary objective of meeting in the Kasilof River OEG, enumerated with sonar, of 160,000-390,000 sockeye salmon.

Thank you gr8fl, what I was really interested in were the normal openings for the commercial guys, the days there is no doubt they will be out. True, when the fish are coming in in great numbers, I am told it makes little difference, but I try to not drive all the way down there when I know the fleet is going to be out there.

Normal comm openings are Monday and Thursday for the UCI.

It does make a huge difference, especially when they drop a buoy on one bank of the Kasilof River and pull the net out to the other bank.