Thread: My Rifle Is Here!! Waa-Hooo!!

Default My Rifle Is Here!! Waa-Hooo!!

I would take some pix but it is sprinkling outside, but on the first sunny day I will.

This is a work of the riflesmiths art. Completely blueprinted and re-machined action, 30" Kreiger barrel, and...I get away from myself.

Now I am waiting for the new brass to arrive which should be (dagnabit!), Thursday, when I start my week-on shift. Arrgghhh! At least it will give me something to look forward to for when I have off, then I can begin prepping all the brass and load some up. I'll take some care too to install the Pressure Trace gage so I can give detailed reports of how this thing shoots those beautiful 210 grain Berger's.

Wow.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Sorry, double post
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I know you are excited indeed and you should be excited. I can't wait to see the pictures.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The US Postal Service strikes again!

The brass shows it was "scanned in" at 0915 this morning. Was up there at 4:45. Told postal worker at the counter I really needed the box. Which I do since I could have them all prepped by this evening. Nope. Told me "they've just been scanned in, now he has to write the yellow slips to put in the boxes, he'll start putting them in the boxes at 5:15 pm". Note: window closes at 5:30. This is not the first time this has happened, just last week I was expecting an m98/22 Czech 8x57 Mauser. On Friday nothing, Saturday morning there was the yellow slip. This has happened so many times over the past few months I have considered getting the largest PO box they rent, but it will cost me $300 per year.

The post office here has key lockers so they can put large boxes into them rather than a yellow slip and the counter worker going to get them. When I asked why so few times are packages left in the lockers? "It takes more time to write your box number on the key fob and put the fob in your box, and the package in the locker". These lockers range in size from twice the size of a normal PO box to 24" square. The long and short? They are too lazy to put something in the key locker and continue to use the yellow slips. Just like sitting on the yellow slips until almost right at closing so they won't have to go get the boxes.

And the PO wonders why people are turning to email and alternative shipping methods like UPS, FEDEX and even paying for overnight airfreight.

I should point out only a couple of postal workers are doing this. The rest of the crew is pretty conscientious.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

I'm looking forward to the pics. What did you have built?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm looking forward to the pics. What did you have built?
    It started life as a normal, run-of-the-mill m700 stainless in .300 Utra Mag. Sat in the rack at Kwethluk Corp. store for over a year (I saw it during Fall and bought it the following Spring), it even had a polished spot on the barrel where the matt finish was worn due to the felt of the gunrack! Manager gave me $25 off price for this.

I sent it to Greg Tannel for his full treatment. He single-pointed the threads, opening them for a larger barrel tennon, faced the receiver, faced the bolt, drilled and bushed the bolt for a smaller diameter firing pin, re-cut the lugs recesses, reamed the bolt bore, and bushed the bolt to remove any slop. It locks up like a vault now and is super-smooth. Installed a Sako extractor. Replaced the firing pin and shroud with one of his ultra-lightweight units cutting lock time almost in half (quite an achievement for the m700), installed a .375" thick pinned recoil lug.

The barrel is a 30" Kreiger No. 17 which is 5" x 1.250" cylindrical then tapering to 0.925" at the muzzle. The chamber was cut with a finish reamer so it is very tight, the neck cut 0.340" (I'll turn all my brass to 0.337" loaded), and the throat was set so I can use almost all the magazine space. I seated 210 Berger's and also 180 grain TSX's, both to the same throat length. The lighter bullets will hang out there but still will use all the neck for support. He made me a seating die using a Wilson blank cut with the same chamber reamer as the rifle.

Has a Jewell with safety set at exactly 1 pound. Little light but I can turn it up to two pounds with a small Allen wrench. I asked him to re-do the pillar bedding but he only skim bedded the action as he told me the pillars were fine. I was tickled when I read that in his letter because I had installed the pillars.

This is all in a Remington gray laminated wood stock bought off Numrich Arms online for under $90. I like this Remmie stock with the laser cut checkering. The dimensions are perfect.

I haven't weighed the rifle, but the balance point is about three inches in front of the receiver. This will change once I get the scope on. All I have for it now is a 3x9 Burris Fullfield II. I know it is under-powered for this, but it is fine for the 100 yard line. I have glassed both swivel screws in so they won't come out.

It will be heavy for snowmachining but not as heavy as my FN-FAL is so shouldn't be a problem. I do have a real target laminated stock meant for this and am going to be working on that in the coming weeks. Need to open up the grip area and glass in the Freeland rail for the handstop and bipod, then pillar bed it up so it'll be ready for this winter. I meant this ultimately to be used off-hand since the caribou tend to run away when they hear a snowmachine. With the Turner Saddlery National Match sling it will be a stable platform for off-hand shots.

Sounds awesome! How much is the beast going to weigh?

Weeelllll....the barrel alone weighs seven pounds, so I think with the scope, sling and four round of ammo she'll tip the scales at 11-12 pounds. Maybe. I think it could be lighter because the stock isn't that heavy. We'll see. I admit this rifle won't be the first choice for crawling along rock faces in the Brooks Range for sheep, or trying to sneak through Devils Club thickets in Southeast, but it isn't so long as to be unwieldy. I am used to long rifles because I own a few South American military Mausers with the 29" barrels and have carried them.

Right now I am working over the Nosler brass. So far all I have done is check the flash holes with a pin gage, and 100 out of 100 have holes 0.078" diameter. None will take a 0.079" gage.
    Checking the case lengths they are almost evenly divided between 3.834" and 3.833" with one at 3.832". So I will probably end up trimming to 3.832".
    I have 100 Remington brass I bought for when I owned a Mod 70 Winchester, I will pull those out and check them. These are not the crazy brass with the off-center flash holes purchased a couple weeks ago, but some I bought a few years back. I have them trimmed to 3.830".
    The Nosler brass is quite pretty. When they advertised they are ready to load, they aren't kidding. I could load them now if I wanted, but will check the primer pockets, check the de-burring of the flash holes (Nosler claims they are already de-burred), they look good but it only take a few moments to check.
    My loaded dummy cartridges measured 0.337" at the neck. Measuring the Nosler cases shows me the necks are now 0.336". I haven't yet measured the case neck thickness for uniformity but if they measure as well as everything else, I shouldn't have to do much in the way of turning them.
    Only after I have finished the prep work will I weigh them. The old batch of Remmie went from 277 grains to 270 grains. And if I wanted to be real manic, after chucking the highs and lows I could get 48 cases out of the 100 that weigh within 1.30 grains of each other. But I just did that for kicks. I want to see what these new cases weigh.
    And I still have 100 Norma cases coming.

Alright, you tinkered enough. Time for some pics.

You going to try the Swift S2 bullets? My 300 RUM shoots them sub-moa at 3300fps with the 180gr. I have yet to recover a bullet of one and have used that rifle to kill a few critters now..

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Most rifles weigh MORE than their owners THINK, or SAY they do.

My MK V weighs 10 lbs. complete with scope, sling, & 3 rounds in the magazine.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Most rifles weigh MORE than their owners THINK, or SAY they do.

My MK V weighs 10 lbs. complete with scope, sling, & 3 rounds in the magazine.

Smitty of the North
    10 lbs? Would make a great atv rifle.

I thought I'd be able to get some pix today as it was sunny and not too windy, so I was going to set up outside in a relatively private spot for some good shots. I even broke out my tripod.

It began to cloud up about two hours before I got off work. It is now pouring cats and dogs. We even had a little hail just before the rain soo.....sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    10 lbs? Would make a great atv rifle.
    I don't have an ATV, but it's a great rifle. I carry it with the sling over my shoulder, or my pack frame.

(7mm Weatherby Mag., Stainless, Synthetic Stock, 26" barrel, 160 grain Nosler Partitions at 3000 fps.)

It's my favorite for huntin.

When I put it on the food scale, I was surprised it weighed that much. I'm sure, others would be surprised at how much their gun weighs too. Scope, sling, and a magazine full of ammo adds carry weight.

My point is, that as a practical matter, Nitro's rifle doesn't weigh too much.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I thought I'd be able to get some pix today as it was sunny and not too windy, so I was going to set up outside in a relatively private spot for some good shots. I even broke out my tripod.

It began to cloud up about two hours before I got off work. It is now pouring cats and dogs. We even had a little hail just before the rain soo.....sorry.
    I understand. You wouldn't wanna drop it in a Poodle.

OK, we'll WAIT.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Since it has been raining, and looks like it will continue, I was going to take pix inside, but my Casio FH1000 will not display the flashe mode. And yes, I have consulted the cd. I am to press "REC" (I do), and then the "display" (I do), and the menu should come up in a sidebar so I can select the flash mode I desire. Nope. Everything else comes up but the flash. Crap. And of course all I get when I try to contact Casio is a busy signal.

Figured out the flash and inside th house it is very poor. So I will take some photos sprinkling or not.

I did seat a Beger 210 VLD in the seating die. Was already set up by the gunsmith Greg Tannel at 2.9330" exactly. This is the base of the case to the ogive of the Berger. The bullet is just barely touching the lands. When inserting the case into the die I could feel it ever-so-gently displace the air inside, and when removing the cartridge from the die it was very smooth, only the slightest pressure on the tip of my fingernail to pull it down. Very niiiicceeee...