Thread: Russian river?

Default Russian river?

Any new reports???

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Any new reports???
    The run is over, save your gas money.....seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    The run is over, save your gas money.....seriously.
    that tells me i'll see you there this weekend!!!

no, I am pretty sure he is serious, and if you do go you might find more room then normal.

The run is still going, albeit not as strong. We always head down for the 4th holiday to put some Russian sockeye in the freezer (the freezer is already stocked with Seward sockeye). We plan for the tail end of the run because the testosterone nutjobs are gone by then and it's calm, easy fishing. You may have to wait a while for a slug of fish to come thru but they're still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    The run is still going, albeit not as strong. We always head down for the 4th holiday to put some Russian sockeye in the freezer (the freezer is already stocked with Seward sockeye). We plan for the tail end of the run because the testosterone nutjobs are gone by then and it's calm, easy fishing. You may have to wait a while for a slug of fish to come thru but they're still there.
    I guess it is still going if you consider a few hundred fish a day (crossing the weir) still going then you would be right. Who knows with the water dropping it might even be worth it if you are going for fishing more then catching.

I guess there was about 500 yesterday.

There's a HUGE difference between the numbers passing the weir and the numbers still in the river. We've never had problems getting our limits this time of year but hopefully most people take your advice and stay home so there's more for us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    There's a HUGE difference between the numbers passing the weir and the numbers still in the river. We've never had problems getting our limits this time of year but hopefully most people take your advice and stay home so there's more for us!!
    True but once they are in the river it doesn't take them long to get to the weir. And it is a pretty good indication of what there is in the river.

I agree, save the gas money for the secon run...

yesterday three guys 8 fish 6hrs

[QUOTE= but hopefully most people take your advice and stay home so there's more for us!!
    [/QUOTE]

Here, here!

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    yesterday three guys 8 fish 6hrs
    How did everyone else do around you and while you were walking up and down the bank? Did they all almost limit out too?

Default Not much observed today

I know nothing about fishing these parts but did spend most of the afternoon watching others today. Saw two Dolly Vardens caught with about 12-15 folks fishing. Talked to a few guys along the bank and no had much to report.

went down to the ferry for a couple of hours today... 2 cars in the parking lot, 4 guys across the river....all skunked. I had 2 hook-ups and that was it. But still a better day than doing yard work

not much going on down there huh? n e one know if the rock down by the guard rail is showing yet?? last wkend drove by n it was still under water. u guys really think i should save my gas?

Yea save ur gas

If your desperate, you can definitely find some on the upper reaches of the Russian, close to the boundary.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    not much going on down there huh? n e one know if the rock down by the guard rail is showing yet?? last wkend drove by n it was still under water. u guys really think i should save my gas?
    Save your gas....do you look at the weir counts from the Russian River weir online?? They have been below under 200 fish a day for the past 5 days.

What about the sanctuary? Is that area still stacked? I might hit the opener tomorrow morning.

went to soldotna instead. hooked 15 n 5hrs of flipping. still abit slow but they were there. good thing i brought a back up rod. second fish i hooked was a 15 pound red hog. got him to shore b4 my 7wt st croix snapped. wasnt letting this one get away so i had to wrestle him down. i was the only one fishing. on the way out n back the russian was dead. no one there. came home with only one. gave up after 5hrs my wrist was killing me plus been up 4 almost 24 hrs.