Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What? No Whittier Ramp of Tunnel stories?

Default What? No Whittier Ramp of Tunnel stories?

I was hoping for some stories to pass the time........

The 4th already and noone b$%ching yet?

More popcorn please.....

Opps found out you can't change title once you push the post button.....No Whittier or tunnel stories...

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I'm sure there will be plenty after we get back next weekend. Too bad you won't be out there with us.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I bobbed in the Harbor for 40 minutes Saturday night with enough of a breeze that I had to keep jockying the boat to keep off the slips. All because they didn't have someone running the ramps and someone launched on one of the retrieve sides and then sat there effectively stopping traffic on that side restricting us to one retrieve lane. At one point I had four boats in front of me and four behind me all just bobbing....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have a story for you all....

a few weeks ago me and a couple buddies went down in my seaskiff to try and get to lake bay for some chums. When we went to go through the tunnel...the girl in the booth asked us if we had any spare fuel tanks and a trailer permit.......I pause and said no fuel and yes on the permit, just trying to act cool because i had about 30 gallons spare fuel in my truck bed. That is when she looked at me funny and kept mentioning the trailer permit. I was in such a bull****ting mood that i was pulling stories out of my butt...saying i left it at home, and asking my buddies in the truck if they have seen it lying here on the dash. after a few minutes the lady started laughing and let me go, and i still ask myself if i would have let me go in my position after i lied and bull****ted my way through the whole conversation.

joe.

Have had a couple of guys stop at the top while launching for five minutes to pay the launch fee while I was next to launch. That's happened two out of three trips this year. The second guy also trailed me getting back to the boats after parking (I jog). I got back to the boat just before he did (passed him at the ramp), and set about looking busy on the boat so he didn't feel bad. He went to pulling up both seats on his runabout looking for stuff and generally appearing to not be ready, and an opportunity presented, so I backed out between him and the end of the other dock. While parallel with him, he got his rig started, was about to back away, and when he realized I was in the way he shot me a glance that only a Wasillabilly can. I generally can't win down there, and am always happy to be on my way.

That doesn't mean that I've never been the cause of the gong show either...like the one time four years ago when I left my headlights on and had to scramble for a jumpstart while the good wife helped pass boats around ours to retrieve...Still in the doghouse for that one. Lucky she's capable and a good diplomat.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    and someone launched on one of the retrieve sides and then sat there effectively stopping traffic on that side restricting us to one retrieve lane.
    That's gotta be the mark of the the guy doing it by himself. Backs into the water, jumps into the boat, and motors off to tie up while his rig is still in the drink?

Just a minor incident. Guy in front of my wife in the retrieve line has his boat up to the ramp and his driver is nowhere to be found. So I back down and he gets an attitude and what not. Telling me he is next in line. Like I said his driver is nowhere around. Doesn't quite understand the necessity of being ready. And the fact that he who is ready is next. So I kick off the dock and power around him onto my trailer and out of the way in two minutes. Problem solved.

Couple of weekends ago. Motored up to the dock to tie up and wait for my turn to retrieve. There were two lines for retrieving, one for launching. The lines were clearly (Whittier standards) marked. There was room in the retrieve lines for more boats. Some knucklehead motors up into the launch line, keeping others from launching. The ramp gal tells him he's in the wrong line and he basically tells her that there are two retrieve lines and that the third line that he is in is the "alternative" line that can be used for retrieving or launching. He never moved his boat.

Mine is not a tunnel or Whittier story. Took the Admiral and grandkid to Astoria OR (John Day River) for some sturgeon fishing. The launch facility is small on the John Day river, but I was impressed with the way things were done.

The main thing to remember is to have everything ready. You call ahead and order your bait. Pull into the facility in line for the ramp, give the person your name and cash, you get your bait. While you are moving in line you put the plug in and remove the lower stern straps. Then when you are near the front there is a machine (like an ATM) you put $3 in it and it gives you a parking permit. When it is your turn you get in the water now and have the admiral walk the boat down the dock. You then race to get a limited parking spot. Jump in the boat and go. The ramp is dock is short so there is no time to mess around. It reminded me of a professional bass tournament.

Here is the Admiral with a "small" sturgeon! These are great eating almost as good as halibut.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's gotta be the mark of the the guy doing it by himself. Backs into the water, jumps into the boat, and motors off to tie up while his rig is still in the drink?
    There was a guy in the boat but no rig or anyone else to be seen. I think he sat there close to a half hour. While he was there the Epic Charter guy threaded the needle and docked up on that side and started offloading kayaks and gear so then that side was really shut down.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    There was a guy in the boat but no rig or anyone else to be seen. I think he sat there close to a half hour. While he was there the Epic Charter guy threaded the needle and docked up on that side and started offloading kayaks and gear so then that side was really shut down.
    Maybe the truck driver had a dead battery when he went to get the truck/trailer?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Always a possibility. :-)

No real gripes about the launch. It is what it is, but the boorish people that leave the hose out in the wash down lane and the inattentive people that run over the hoses at the wash down area really tick me off. How tough is to pull the hose out of the way before you leave or pull in You don't even have to coil it, just pull it out of the way. I cannot count the number of times the hoses have crushed ends or tiny pin holes throughout.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

We bring our own hose....
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    Yeah I started to do that too........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    So do we, but we shouldn't have to is my point...

I have a good fuel dock story does that count? Coming in to Whittier on 7/4 morning about 10AM there were a number of boats waiting for the fuel dock and I finally got my turn and started to fill her up. Apparently a boat tied to the far side of the fuel dock in the middle of the night and when they knocked on the boat there was no response. They did not know if the owners were at a hotel or inside. Finally after knocking several more times while I watched they rousted the owners.

The guy looked a lot worse for the wear. He started the engine and then he wanted the dockhand to move all the boats waiting for fuel to get out of his way. Finally the dockhand just untied him and shoved off. I had to fend him off my bow as he was backing up. I was along the long side of the dock and as he spun around and headed for open water at a fair clip he just missed hitting my engines by inches and the came within inches of hitting the engines of the boat tied to the open water side of the dock. Of course we were all gving him verbal instructions to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    No real gripes about the launch. It is what it is, but the boorish people that leave the hose out in the wash down lane and the inattentive people that run over the hoses at the wash down area really tick me off. How tough is to pull the hose out of the way before you leave or pull in You don't even have to coil it, just pull it out of the way. I cannot count the number of times the hoses have crushed ends or tiny pin holes throughout.
    Sounds like you have been out on nice days, every day this year I just let the driving rain wash my boat down... but last summer the hoses were a mess.. I think I got a free shower with my wash down.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Sounds like you have been out on nice days, every day this year I just let the driving rain wash my boat down... but last summer the hoses were a mess.. I think I got a free shower with my wash down.
    Funny man! I let the rain wash the boat, too. I just flush the motors, trailer brakes, and top off the water there ( and no, I do not drink or cook with that water).

I have a tunnel story. I was at the tunnel at 6:05pm, plenty of time to spare for the 6:30 opening and ran into some issues that had me steamed. The attendant asked how wide my boat was and I replied 8 foot 6 inches. He took a glance and said "in your dreams" and said he would measure. His pissy attitude rubbed me the wrong way but I kept my cool as he called another person out and measured the boat. He said that it was 8 foot 7 and a half inches and that I could not pass unless I bought an oversize permit from them and that he would call the proper folks inside to come see me. I offered to pay the extra $10 but he would not listen. I waited in my truck with my family and friends for 15 minutes with no one coming to me so I went back and asked what was going on. He said I had to just wait. I waited another 10 minutes and then when I went back, two other attendants came out from the main building with tape measures and said they were going to remeasure. They hardly whipped the tape out when they both nodded their heads and said 8'6" repeatedly and told me to get a $10 refund and go through the tunnel. They looked very embarrassed at the anal attitude of the attendant that stopped me from going through. Boy I was glad that I didn't blow-up and give them a piece of my mind as I really wanted to. Cooler heads prevailed and I went through. The next weekend, I went through, another attendant eye-balled my boat asking how wide and I told them that they already measured it last weekend and it was 8'6". I don't think he believed my but he let me pass anyways with a skeptical look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast