Thread: Flying With Empty Stove

Default Flying With Empty Stove

I am flying with my family to Nome from Anchorage this week to drive the roads and camp. Does anyone know if AK Air lets you fly in state with two burner propane stove? Not planing on bringing any fuel just the stove itself. I am guessing the answer is no but thought I'd check here to find out. Seems like my only real option is to buy a stove when we get to Nome.

Thanks

I fly on AK Air with a small butane stove probably 10-20 times a year. No fuel and its a non-issue.

Could always call Alaska Air. Their customer service can help with those type of questions.

Yk

Shouldn't be a problem with an empty butane stove. Liquid fuel stoves might be different. Last I heard you could get them on the plane if you cleaned out the tank and fuel lines to sufficiently remove all fuel odor. But calling AK Air is still the best advice.

Thanks. I had called AK Air but the person I talked to pretty referred to the website which said no. In talking to others it seems it's a bit hit and miss. If the scanner senses fuel, the stove will be pulled, if not it is OK to fly with it. From what I have heard white gas and other liquids are the hardest to get through. Propane and butane are easier.

I have not had any issues flying screw on propane type stoves. I have NEVER seen any Butane fuel for sale in any villages, they all have white gas and one lb propane, but no butane. When I go remote I have a NEW white gas MSR international I take New and in the box and a screw on propane stove. So far I have never needed to use the new stove, just bought propane and screwed on the stove.

If you do go with the butane stove and can't find fuel, check with the air taxis, people often leave fuel with them when they leave.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Carrying an MSR stove as mentioned by stid is a good idea and pretty cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things. I did basically the same on my last trip to the brooks, though I did end up using the stove so it is no longer "new in box". I also have a wood burning cauldron that is my guaranteed-to-fly stove for trips where wood will be available. Probably not the best for high alpine or far north tundra but solid backup for many areas.