Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian river august 18th Rainbows

Default Russian river august 18th Rainbows

I fished the russian river area back in 2009 , saw tons of reds and decent numbers of silvers but no bows at all .I didn't go up the russian very far - ( bears everywhere ) and river wasn't very deep I thought for holding big rainbows . My question is where should I start looking for bows on my trip this year in the russian area , the first couple 100 yds up from the ferry gets hit pretty hard but in the morning during the week its not to bad especially after the sockeye season close's . Don't need specific favorite spots but does the russian hold good numbers of good size bows , Or do I need to forget the russian and fish the kenai instead.
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

you didn't see them because you weren't looking in the right place, they lay under the salmon.

The entire stretch of the Russian holds rainbows, and some very nice ones at that. I remember catching a 23" rainbow literally a couple feet from a bunch of people hammering the water for silvers. They are there behind and amongs the salmon and in deep holes. A pair of polarized sunglasses will help you spot them in the water. They are tricky to see in the deeper darker pools though.

I did finally learn to spot the silvers in the river and could tell them apart from the female reds , but what coloration am I looking for with the rainbows and do I need to site fish for them like the silvers or should I fish near the sockeye for them .

Sight fishing is probably not needed. If you can see spawning salmon, the rainbows will be there. Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    I fished the russian river area back in 2009 , saw tons of reds and decent numbers of silvers but no bows at all .I didn't go up the russian very far - ( bears everywhere ) and river wasn't very deep I thought for holding big rainbows . My question is where should I start looking for bows on my trip this year in the russian area , the first couple 100 yds up from the ferry gets hit pretty hard but in the morning during the week its not to bad especially after the sockeye season close's . Don't need specific favorite spots but does the russian hold good numbers of good size bows , Or do I need to forget the russian and fish the kenai instead.
    Walk the trail toward the lake. About halfway in (1 1/2 mile or so) take the fork to the right, which leads you back to the river. Fish upstream. Big rainbows all along the river. If you're fly fishing, try a black wooly bugger . . . . .

How far up from the ferry would I start to get into good rainbow water , thought beads were the way to go , or would beads be better on the kenai .

Certainly you do not have to sight fish but you can see fish in certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    Certainly you do not have to sight fish but you can see fish in certain areas.
    Yes, what he said. Sight fishing is awesome and all, but I can't count how many times I just let the line dead drift through a run and nail fish. Be sure to perfect your dead drift because if you apply some tension to your line you will most certainly foul hook some reds. That time of year the reds are also aggresive enough to strike your bead, had that happen also. 'Nook is a master at foul hooking reds, I think he likes retying and watching me hook all the fish while he is on the bank...LOL! Kidding of course, he likes catching Rainbows that sit behind the flippers and rippers at the cottonwood hole.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

....yes, because you "don't fish, I catch" right? lol Sometimes you cannot avoid the reds if they are in thick. I have caught many rainbows blindly drifting beads. But that rainbow behind all the rippers was spotted with polarized glasses. Which made it easy to dial in the drift where it was laying. It is just awesome to see the fish smash a bead/fly.

Can you guys give me an idea how far up I need to go to get into some good fishing . I only fished about 1/4 mile or so above the cleaning tables on my first trip .

Can you guys give me an idea how far up I need to go to get into some good fishing . I only fished about 1/4 mile or so above the cleaning tables on my first trip .
    Just fish the entire river up to the falls. The whole river is full of rainbows and it is all beautiful water to hike and fish along.. Generally i hike all the way up to the falls, fishing opportune water on the way up, then hit some spots on the way back down that I passed up.. and maybe fish a few of the good holes on the way down that I caught fish in on the way up.. Bring bear spray and give the bears their space. Be ready to give up your fishing hole to a bear when it comes along!

It's really personal preference. Some people walk all the way up, some people don't. As Codester said, fish the entire river. We usually make a day of it by hiking to the end of the boardwalk, about 100yards past that, then work our way all the way down to the confluence. Usually we can make a whole day of it on that stretch. It's all personal preference and a fun time for sure.

Fish On!

How long is the river from the falls to the confluence ? Bear haven if you ask me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do they consider the river section in front of the island where the aluminum stairs are , the russian or the kenai .

How far is it up to the falls from the aluminum staircase's , and is the water in front of the stairs considered the russian .

How long is the river from the falls to the confluence ? Bear haven if you ask me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do they consider the river section in front of the island where the aluminum stairs are , the russian or the kenai .
    It's part of the Russian, they call it the confluenece.
    How far is it up to the falls from the aluminum staircase's , and is the water in front of the stairs considered the russian .
    From the trail head to the falls I think is like 6 miles???????? I might be wrong, and the trail head to the ferry is 3 miles I think, maybe a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    It's part of the Russian, they call it the confluenece.

From the trail head to the falls I think is like 6 miles???????? I might be wrong, and the trail head to the ferry is 3 miles I think, maybe a little less.

From the trail head parking lot at the Russian river campground it is 2.3 miles. I've never measured it from the confluence but I would say a few miles. It's a lot rougher hike on the river but worth it. Trout fishing gets better the further up you go. I usually start at the pink salmon parking lot and fish my way all the way up to the falls and back. It makes for a long day but its worth it. Good hike and good fishing.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    From the trail head parking lot at the Russian river campground it is 2.3 miles. I've never measured it from the confluence but I would say a few miles. It's a lot rougher hike on the river but worth it. Trout fishing gets better the further up you go. I usually start at the pink salmon parking lot and fish my way all the way up to the falls and back. It makes for a long day but its worth it. Good hike and good fishing.
    Dude your nuts!

This will be our third trip to Alaska and our third time flying into the Upper Russian, then hiking and fishing our way back to civilization....The upper stretches of the Russian hold some nice fish and some pretty isolated fishing, well isolated from other two legged fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    This will be our third trip to Alaska and our third time flying into the Upper Russian, then hiking and fishing our way back to civilization....The upper stretches of the Russian hold some nice fish and some pretty isolated fishing, well isolated from other two legged fishermen.
    It's quite a stroll from the Upper Russian Lake to the Lower Russian Lake. Excellent fishing along the Upper Russian River, though. Watch out for the bears !!!

Luke and Nishka Elwell used to live on the Upper Russian Lake where the river begins. Luke trapped and Nishka trapped during the winter months. They operated a weather station for Codove Airlines back in the day. There were two raibow spawns there, the second in December! Nishka was originally Nishka Zane, from Zanesville, Ohio, named for Zane Grey the author. I fisned that stretch of water from 1950 through 1985, and was never disappointed. Good fishing right where the Upper Russian River dumps into Lower Russian Lake, too, but hard to get to on foot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast