Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alum Power Boat - Any suggestions for SE Alaska - know of one for sale?

Default Alum Power Boat - Any suggestions for SE Alaska - know of one for sale?

I've recently started looking for the right fit for our family. I need something with enough amenities to get my wife and kids out for a weekend, and seaworthy enough to use for summer fishing and fall hunting.

I looked at Glacier Craft and many others. Also of consideration is availability . . . anyone aware of a reasonable deal that is currently available?

First, tell us your budget. Ton's of "deals" on craigslist for both metal and glass boats. Don't limit your search to Alaska, check out the sale ad's in Oregon and Washington as well.

Don't look for the cheapest, look for what you will want in 4 years. That means buying something at least 2 feet longer than you think you need right now.

Hunting in the Sound or in the rivers? In the rivers means your best choice might be an inboard jet boat if you also want to use it in the salt.

All Ocean, no rivers. 25-30' is what I had in mind. A nice, comfortable cabin for family. While day trips will be included, most will be weekend type excursions or longer. Aluminum for ease of maintenance, etc. I have been looking online from Kingfisher's to Glacier Crafts to Bay Welds to Armstrongs and appreciate any feedback.

Be sure and look here: www.sitnews.us/post.html This is the local site for Ketchikan, and there are always boats for sale. Enjoy!

Here is another decent boat site for Alaska.

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/

Drop kingfisherktn a pm on here, he lives in the Southeast and might know of some other avenues to check into.

We have had some nice rides for sale here>>> http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/viewforum.php?f=9 most are in the PNW.

To bad you missed this one... >>> http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...php?f=9&t=3884

Both of my boys picked up their boats off the SE Alaska Craigslist. You might give that a try.

http://juneau.craigslist.org/

I have an armstrong sitting around that needs used.

still looking . . .

There are literally 100's of aluminum boats for sale on craigslist in Alaska, Washington, and Oregon.
    What is your price range?

You have not supplied us with a budget, but you indicated Glaciercraft (over $100k). I know of a really clean MidJet Aluminum Pilothouse with a newer Volvo D6 diesel in Haines for $90k.

Sobie2

I wouldn't overlook the North Rivers. They make some nice boats that will handle a pretty decent chop. Personally I'm a Hewescraft fan, the 22 ft OceanPro is nice, I've never run the bigger ones. I've heard good things about the 26' Alaskan.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Budget is a big concern, because there can be huge differences. Glaciercrafts are in their own little pricey world that most people can't afford to begin with, but if you can, more power to you. That said, if you can afford a GC, why not get a custom-built boat at any number of Alaskan or West Coast builders that is exactly what you want?

For a nice boat with a large, well-appointed cabin but around $150k new, you might want to look at the Wooldridge Pilothouse....

If you plan on ever using it for charter purposes in the U.S. make sure it's built in the U.S.....(Jones Act)

Quote Originally Posted by regnic View Post
    still looking . . .
    Might have something your interested in, but can't send you a pm (not sure why?). PM me if you would like some info.

regnic, I'm in the same "boat" and have narrowed it down to either a Northriver or a Duckworth with outboard(s). Contrary to all good advice out there, I will likely buy new unless I can find the "perfect" used boat before the spring. Buying new will cost me in depreciation but at least I can get everything exactly as I want it. A 26 would probably do us but I'm going to try to get a 28. There's a lot of good boats out there but I really like the lines of the Duckworth and the Northriver. Kingfisher's have really interior nice layouts but i'm not keen on their hull design. I've been searching the web fairly consistently for the past year but whenever I get a chance to walk the docks in Seward or Valdez, I find boats that I didn't see on the web. Good luck!

Default Alum Power Boat - Any suggestions for SE Alaska - know of one for sale?

Check out svendsen boats out of wrangell

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Check out svendsen boats out of wrangell
    Wow, that 38 sports cruiser is a sweeeeet looking boat.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I forgot about svendsen they make some nice looking boats. i know a few people that have them and they have got everywhere and done everything.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I am going to be shopping this winter for the same type of boat. Just starting to look. Have seen a bunch of the Hewes on the water and at the docks in Whittier. Looked at a Sea Hawk at Cabelas in Tulalip a few months ago. Sharp looking boat. I really like the looks of the duckworth. Here's a good sense of what one could expect

http://www.yvmarine.com/pre_owned_de...sp?veh=2377488

My only real must have is an enclosed head for the women of the family, and an outside steering station. Something in the 26-28 will suit me fine. Hoping to find something 3-4 years old.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Do you have a vehicle capable of trailering a large boat? I have a 23' Aluminum Chambered Boat for sale. A little short on cabin but a safe boat with a new motor and trailer. Email me at alasken1@mac.com for more information or pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast